Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. BYU

Gundy saying Bowman will need to be able to run the ball… so I guess we get to see Bowman the rest of the year. 5 games left…. The only argument I understand not to play Smith is the redshirt situation. Tell Bowman he’s got one more week as the starter and then it’s Smith time. These seasons we need to capitalize on getting young guys some experience to build on for upcoming seasons and to hopefully keep guys out of the portal. If you are going to be bad at least do it with guys that could help your team next year.

I liked seeing Fields today and I thought kaweci played well too.

Super disappointed for Rangel on the long term injury… he was a spark tonight minus the bad interception.

Mike Gundy on his Jerry Jones arc right now.

It was clear yesterday that we never should have let bowman on the field at OSU starting with last year. The 3 qb race was such a debacle and we are still reeling from the effects.

Next year needs to have a QB on the roster already or a bonafide starter transferring in looking to make a splash e.g. Will Howard or Dillon Gabriel.

Does everyone still hate Rangel? Or did he give you enough of a glimpse to know he’s been in nothing but crap situations for three years?

He would’ve brought so much more to the offense the last two seasons with his feet. Hate on Gundy all you want. I totally get that and agree. He makes terrible quarterback decisions, but I don’t think Rangel is nearly as bad as some of the savants profess.

Question on the injuries, I know I will get flamed for asking but going to ask, is this a conditioning issue or are the injuries all just bad luck? You just don't seem to see this many injuries on other teams, ie just the football gods hate OSU. Rangel is bad luck but you can get these players so over muscled that the body has to break instead of give.

Rangel reminded me of Clint chelf. He has some speed my goodness he could shoot out of a cannon. I feel for the kid. His skill set helps mask our terrible run blocking oline. Since gundy wants to a hire Dickey fishing buddy, we wont get wickline type lines. This is why we have to have dual threat QBs for the foreseeable future. Hell, I think Spencer sanders would have this team competing for a big 12 title.

I thought bowman did about as well as he could last night. He gave us a shot despite some spotty play. But that said, his style of play doesn’t work behind Dickey ball. We need Alabama oline.

Don’t get me started on our D3 defensive coordinator. He needs to be put on pig roast

I really can’t even question anything offensively or the QB situation last night. Hats off to Rangel. Besides the pick 6, he really sparked the offense with his mobility. Give it up to Bowman though, he led them back to put them in a position to win with an 8 PLUS MINUTE DRIVE! Oline was tremendous. Ollie and Fields ran great. And Dunn…called a great game.

On the other hand, after 2 weeks to prepare, Nardo’s D got gashed most of the night and continues to not know how to tackle anyone. The injury excuse is rampant even though they looked just like this with those guys they are missing. With 85 scholarships, They apparently can’t even recruit capable young backups and rather have to rely on walkons when starters go down. 8 and a half minutes of rest to defend for just 1 min and 15 sec and can’t do it.

Is there anyone that still believes Dunn should be gone before Nardo? Not defending or advocating for Dunn, but At least Dunn shows he’s capable at times.

I’m not going to argue, the defense is horrible. But good grief, we are missing 6 of our 11 starting players on defense. That’s over half the defensive starters! And not just 6 players, at least 3 of the best players on our team! Oliver, Rucker, Martin, Johnson, Smith and Epps on defense and now Flores and Rangel out for the season and Ollie out indefinitely on offense. That is a ridiculous injury situation. No team can field a competitive team that can win games with that number of key injuries. If Bowman gets injured, we’ll be down to a true freshman and a walk-on at QB.

I’m as sick about it as anyone but to have that many players out and guys like Presley and Gordon out there gutting it out and playing hurt and still being 10 seconds away from upsetting the #13 team in the country on the road in a hostile environment, I’m pretty damn proud of the guys we had left and the all out effort to win that game. You can’t do anything but tip your cap to that kind of effort. Most teams would have packed it in!

Last edited:
We have ZERO DL pressure. That forces guys to chase and be at bad angles to tackle. Bad angles lead to bad collisions and injuries occur. My issue is you have guys like Fields who is young but seemed to explode into some openings. Using him opened up a little for OG. Why not use young talent? Of because MG is a loyalist and that’s one of his biggest downfalls is loyalty to veterans, not playing the best players

I’m not going to argue, the defense is horrible. But good grief, we are missing 6 of our 11 starting players on defense. That’s over half the defensive starters! And not just 6 players, at least 3 of the best players on our team! Oliver, Rucker, Martin, Johnson, Smith and Epps on defense and now Flores and Rangel out for the season and Ollie out indefinitely on offense. That is a ridiculous injury situation. No team can field a competitive team that can win games with that number of key injuries. If Bowman gets injured, we’ll be down to a true freshman and a walk-on at QB.

I’m as sick about it as anyone but to have that many players out and guys like Presley and Gordon out their gutting it out and playing hurt and still being 10 seconds away from upsetting the #13 team in the country on the road in a hostile environment, I’m pretty damn proud of the guys we had left and the all out effort to win that game. You can’t do anything but tip your cap to that kind of effort. Most teams would have packed it in!
Missed tackles on defense, not lining up right, bad run fits, not in our gaps. These are my issues. These are fundamentals that have little to do with talent. These have been issues before the injuries began to pile up and have consistently gotten worse. Wholesale changes need to be made. Sorry but it’s the truth, the defensive product over the last 2 seasons is 100% unacceptable.

Last edited:
I really can’t even question anything offensively or the QB situation last night. Hats off to Rangel. Besides the pick 6, he really sparked the offense with his mobility. Give it up to Bowman though, he led them back to put them in a position to win with an 8 PLUS MINUTE DRIVE! Oline was tremendous. Ollie and Fields ran great. And Dunn…called a great game.

On the other hand, after 2 weeks to prepare, Nardo’s D got gashed most of the night and continues to not know how to tackle anyone. The injury excuse is rampant even though they looked just like this with those guys they are missing. With 85 scholarships, They apparently can’t even recruit capable young backups and rather have to rely on walkons when starters go down. 8 and a half minutes of rest to defend for just 1 min and 15 sec and can’t do it.

Is there anyone that still believes Dunn should be gone before Nardo? Not defending or advocating for Dunn, but At least Dunn shows he’s capable at times.
I am questioning if Dunn is capable, then why does the offensive "game plan/play calling" suck so often? Does this point to lack of motivation to put time/effort into a successful plan? Is there too lax of a coaching environment?

I’m as sick about it as anyone but to have that many players out and guys like Presley and Gordon out their gutting it out and playing hurt and still being 10 seconds away from upsetting the #13 team in the country on the road in a hostile environment, I’m pretty damn proud of the guys we had left and the all out effort to win that game. You can’t do anything but tip your cap to that kind of effort. Most teams would have packed it in!

The defense was awful before the injury bug hit the team. It is worse now because of the injuries - but has always been bad since game one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The defense was awful before the injury bug hit the team. It is worse now because of the injuries - but has always been bad since game one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3-3-5 defenses and Gannon nardo ball needs to be erased.

Gundy needs to hire a real d-1 DC that knows what he is doing not some gimmick d3 coordinator. I would take a coach that knows how to teach basic tackling over nard dawg

Does everyone still hate Rangel? Or did he give you enough of a glimpse to know he’s been in nothing but crap situations for three years?

He would’ve brought so much more to the offense the last two seasons with his feet. Hate on Gundy all you want. I totally get that and agree. He makes terrible quarterback decisions, but I don’t think Rangel is nearly as bad as some of the savants profess.
Credit to Rangel for how he performed getting his chance to start. Wish we could have seen more, but probably done for the year unfortunately. The sample size is still pretty small, definitely showed much needed mobility, but would need to see more through the air. His only pass down field was basically a pick six. I really wish we could have seen him get a full tryout these next couple of games.

I am questioning if Dunn is capable, then why does the offensive "game plan/play calling" suck so often? Does this point to lack of motivation to put time/effort into a successful plan? Is there too lax of a coaching environment?
It’s hard to know with Dunn. Gundy is an offensive guy, so is he got Dunn’s hands tied sometimes or like last night, is that Gundy opening it up? Hard to know.

Injuries are no doubt a major factor. Don’t forget that Nardo contributed to Martin’s injury by having him in the game during a blowout loss. Nardo and the position coaches have done nothing to develop players. Daniels has regressed. The defensive line hasn’t experienced injuries and they simply can’t get off their blocks to rush the QB and are on skates when defending the run. The BYU lineman were glued to them in passing situations and one of BYU’s lineman was one of the worst we have ever seen play at OSU in Etienne.

For about the 100th time, they looked just like this with those guys. Guys being out of position, tons of missed tackles, etc didn’t just show up with the injuries. This isn’t an ou wide receiver situation where most of them have been injured and not even seen the field. With 85 guys on scholarship, you should be able to field a D that can just defend a team from moving right down the field in less than a minute.

Back