Official Game Thread: West Virginia vs. Oklahoma State

I listened to the Game Day Live at Eskimo Joes post game on my drive home from the game. Rex Holt said he heard that Nick Martin is out for the year with a meniscus injury. He also stated that he heard Zane Flores has a broken bone in his foot and it has not healed like they thought it would and may need surgery.

Sounds like neither of those two will be available the remainder of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FWIW Flores was suited up and participating in warmups

The bad news is that we lose just about everyone after this year. The cupboard will by bare. No offense to Sesi, but he may be our "feature" back--he's barely D1 material. Without major change--starting at the top--we're going to become a B12 bottom-feeder.
I think we’ve learned that lazy, beat up, 6th year Olineman are not ideal, so those aren’t a big loss. Neither is the 7th QB were losing with now. Should be plenty of spots to bring in free agents through the portal if you can convince them to overlook bad coaching.

I listened to the Game Day Live at Eskimo Joes post game on my drive home from the game. Rex Holt said he heard that Nick Martin is out for the year with a meniscus injury. He also stated that he heard Zane Flores has a broken bone in his foot and it has not healed like they thought it would and may need surgery.

Someone else posted that he had offseason surgery and just isn't back yet.

If what your saying is true then you have two choices, play him or let him get the surgery and start healing. Delaying the surgery so he can hold a clipboard is dumb.

I think we’ve learned that lazy, beat up, 6th year Olineman are not ideal, so those aren’t a big loss. Neither is the 7th QB were losing with now. Should be plenty of spots to bring in free agents through the portal if you can convince them to overlook bad coaching.
I feel like we’re that fake high school filled with 20+ year olds who still got their ass beat

The good news is that we can finally do something to make a difference. This will be the most important offseason in program history and our NIL contributions will determine what kind of team we put on the field.
Giving money to the players isn't going to fix this. This is broken at a coaching/schematic level.

I was going to go back through games and calculate everything, but frankly, I just don't have time. You'll have to take my word for it, or just ignore me. Ollie probably averages close to 1.5-2 ypc more when he's lined up behind the QB than when he is running out of shotgun. There are a number of reasons for this. Not going to go into them all, but here are two. First, and most importantly, it gives him a head of steam when he gets the ball. Ollie is a downhill runningback. This isn't rocket science. Getting him the ball with momentum already gives him a real advantage. See my signature, which shows a total collapse on the O-line's part but the momentum allowed Ollie to spot a gap and exploit it. Second, it hides the ball and makes play-action more effective. If the defense can't see the ball, they can't commit which gives the offense a split second advantage across the 2nd and 3rd layers of the defense.

This isn't even new information, either. We've seen it before. When Ollie really took off last year, we played a lot out of the pistol. Most of his big runs this year have come from when Bowman was under center or playing in the pistol. Yes, it gives the QB less time to read the defense when they have to play out of the pistol or from under center, but isn't that supposed to be the biggest positive with playing a 7th year SR at QB? That he has experience and can read defenses faster?

Instead, we insist on running the reigning Doak Walker Winner out of shotgun and misusing him in egregious ways. We insist on playing a terrible QB for... reasons... I guess culture? Hard to say it's loyalty as he's not even been here two full years. We insist on running it back with the same coaching staff that has consistently under-delivered (looking at you two specifically, Dunn and Dickey). It's hard to find two coaches who've done less with more than those two in this conference.

NIL money won't fix this. A booster with the balls to force Gundy to make a change at OC, or who can buy Gundy out, is the only thing that will fix this.

The good news is that we can finally do something to make a difference. This will be the most important offseason in program history and our NIL contributions will determine what kind of team we put on the field.
I disagree. I think coaching will determine what kind of team we put on the field. Dunn is Dunn--offense won't get better under him, and our defense under Nardo is comically bad. Been that way for two years now. We're out of position constantly, can't tackle--diving at feet. We've got the athletes to be way better than what we are--I think. Which leads us to Rob Glass. Why are we constantly getting pushed around on the lines?

And the Martin injury came when the Kstate game was long out of reach. Towards the top of the list in bad coaching decisions this season.

I’m not sure I believe any of the Flores rumors. There’d been no indications he hasn’t been practicing at any point. He’s been suited up and running around warming up each week. RA continually talked about his battle with Rangel for QB2. It’d be pretty easy to just say he’s injured or coming back from an injury to tamp down all the speculation, instead we get these vague “not ready” or “not available” comments.

even the magic of Rob can’t make below avg OL and DL an NFL caliber talent. Piss poor recruiting is 90% of it. They are so banged up. Now the million dollar question is why does a 9M HC dictate who gets to be interviewed? Do we have the only off-limit coordinators in the country???? Would love to see them peppered

Giving money to the players isn't going to fix this. This is broken at a coaching/schematic level.

I was going to go back through games and calculate everything, but frankly, I just don't have time. You'll have to take my word for it, or just ignore me. Ollie probably averages close to 1.5-2 ypc more when he's lined up behind the QB than when he is running out of shotgun. There are a number of reasons for this. Not going to go into them all, but here are two. First, and most importantly, it gives him a head of steam when he gets the ball. Ollie is a downhill runningback. This isn't rocket science. Getting him the ball with momentum already gives him a real advantage. See my signature, which shows a total collapse on the O-line's part but the momentum allowed Ollie to spot a gap and exploit it. Second, it hides the ball and makes play-action more effective. If the defense can't see the ball, they can't commit which gives the offense a split second advantage across the 2nd and 3rd layers of the defense.

This isn't even new information, either. We've seen it before. When Ollie really took off last year, we played a lot out of the pistol. Most of his big runs this year have come from when Bowman was under center or playing in the pistol. Yes, it gives the QB less time to read the defense when they have to play out of the pistol or from under center, but isn't that supposed to be the biggest positive with playing a 7th year SR at QB? That he has experience and can read defenses faster?

Instead, we insist on running the reigning Doak Walker Winner out of shotgun and misusing him in egregious ways. We insist on playing a terrible QB for... reasons... I guess culture? Hard to say it's loyalty as he's not even been here two full years. We insist on running it back with the same coaching staff that has consistently under-delivered (looking at you two specifically, Dunn and Dickey). It's hard to find two coaches who've done less with more than those two in this conference.

NIL money won't fix this. A booster with the balls to force Gundy to make a change at OC, or who can buy Gundy out, is the only thing that will fix this.

I have been asking for more under center all season for this exact reason. You make lots of sense.

One thing I wonder--Gundy says it takes a young QB about 15 games to fully grasp OSU's offensive system. That, just by itself, is absurd. Freshman QB's all over the place are playing and playing well--sometimes against us. No reason it should be that difficult.

What is so hard to grasp? Opposing DC's grasp it in one week of gameplanning as they have managed to shut down our run game AND our pass game. All I see are fades thrown no matter the coverage, with the occasional quick screen. Intermediate routes are few and far between.
Just more Gundy BS.

His cute comments like “I’ll be there early in the morning if anyone wants to come talk to me”. Cut the sh!t out and act like you care for once on the surface. Act like you care for these kids and they aren’t just a pawn for your millions. Act like you’ll do whatever it takes to help them have success. Act like the fans filling the stadium matter and show some fight. Act like the $100,000s being poured into the NIL mean something and use it to fill holes. Act like a championship caliber coach for once in your life and cut out the cutesy crap
You actually hit the nail on the head as to why we are where we are. Gundy isn't even close to being a championship coach.

We wouldn’t see him til last game or two. Remember Mason? Beat ou in Norman as a true fr but we had to ride the Dax show. Hell, MG played a crippled Zrob over Weeden in ‘09 bedlam, when ou sucked. Don’t even need to mention Cate over Weeden too. He has a history of screwing up the qb spot.
Yep. The best QB in our history, and it isn't even close, was only a 2 year starter. Looking back, that's really unbelievable.

After listening to the postgame press conference and radio, I think Gundy is done with Bowman. In past games he’s said things like he’s still the starter, did some good things, etc. Nothing like that today, just “I’m not making any decisions right now” and “we’ll have to look at things”. I’d bet Rangel gets the ball the next two games, and that’s his opportunity to do something with it. Depending on how those go, assuming they won’t go well, I’d bet we see Zane against ASU as it would be within the last 4 games and a medical redshirt can be obtained.

After listening to the postgame press conference and radio, I think Gundy is done with Bowman. In past games he’s said things like he’s still the starter, did some good things, etc. Nothing like that today, just “I’m not making any decisions right now” and “we’ll have to look at things”. I’d bet Rangel gets the ball the next two games, and that’s his opportunity to do something with it. Depending on how those go, assuming they won’t go well, I’d bet we see Zane against ASU as it would be within the last 4 games and a medical redshirt can be obtained.

I agree if his heel is good by then.

Back