Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. BYU

Gundy saying Bowman will need to be able to run the ball… so I guess we get to see Bowman the rest of the year. 5 games left…. The only argument I understand not to play Smith is the redshirt situation. Tell Bowman he’s got one more week as the starter and then it’s Smith time. These seasons we need to capitalize on getting young guys some experience to build on for upcoming seasons and to hopefully keep guys out of the portal. If you are going to be bad at least do it with guys that could help your team next year.

I liked seeing Fields today and I thought kaweci played well too.

Super disappointed for Rangel on the long term injury… he was a spark tonight minus the bad interception.
Bowman needing to run the ball is probably the dumbest comment of the Gundy era. The threat of the QB run game last night was a major factor in Ollie’s success. Teams will once again load the box, play press man, and make Bowman beat them with the pass. It is time to play the freshmen.

Injuries are no doubt a major factor. Don’t forget that Nardo contributed to Martin’s injury by having him in the game during a blowout loss. Nardo and the position coaches have done nothing to develop players. Daniels has regressed. The defensive line hasn’t experienced injuries and they simply can’t get off their blocks to rush the QB and are on skates when defending the run. The BYU lineman were glued to them in passing situations and one of BYU’s lineman was one of the worst we have ever seen play at OSU in Etienne.

The offensive linemen of all teams OSU has played this year have been “glued” to the OSU defensive linemen. I don’t understand how they can’t consistently get off a block and make a play. This has been a huge issue all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way he plays until after next week and we only have 4 games left.
I'm confident he will play this year. The decision to add more qb run really opened up the offense. We have to stick with that.

Hopefully we can beat Baylor with Bowman and Smith can take over after that. With Rangel and Flores out, he'll be getting a lot more reps in practice.

The offensive linemen of all teams OSU has played this year have been “glued” to the OSU defensive linemen. I don’t understand how they can’t consistently get off a block and make a play. This has been a huge issue all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, and the LBs were just as bad last night. Defensive tackle stats-
Hylton 11
Robertson 11
Rawls 6
Black 4
DBs were your top 4 tacklers. Roberson and Daniels COMBINED for 5! Yeeesh. Our front 6 just seems to lock up with guys and the expectation is for safeties to come up and make tackles. That’s why Rucker has led the team all season. We have about 10 LBs on the roster, several Freshman/Sophmores. Are there not any of those guys that are good tackling that can just be let loose and say run to the ball! Or are we too concerned with just “fitting a gap.”

You have a great Defensive Coordinator in Stillwater as an “Advisor” in Gary Gibbs. Gundy has a brother who would be a great Offensive Coordinator and who is recognized by pretty much everyone in Norman as the best recruiter OU has ever had. Nobody will support that idea because they are OU guys but everything, including recruiting would instantly improve with those guys coordinating both sides of the ball!

You have a great Defensive Coordinator in Stillwater as an “Advisor” in Gary Gibbs. Gundy has a brother who would be a great Offensive Coordinator and who is recognized by pretty much everyone in Norman as the best recruiter OU has ever had. Nobody will support that idea because they are OU guys but everything, including recruiting would instantly improve with those guys coordinating both sides of the ball!
I don't think Cale has ever been a play caller. I'd be fine with him as a position coach for sure.

I don't think Cale has ever been a play caller. I'd be fine with him as a position coach for sure.

Yes, he has and it was a win. He called the game against Oregon in the Alamo Bowl in Caleb Williams last game as a Sooner. A bunch of starters opted out for that bowl game and Cale called a very creative and solid offensive game plan. If you’ll recall, Oregon was supposed to smash them with all the players opting out and OU took it to them. OU had 564 yards of offense in that game, a season high!

Does OK have any nepotism laws that would prevent that?

Does everyone still hate Rangel? Or did he give you enough of a glimpse to know he’s been in nothing but crap situations for three years?

He would’ve brought so much more to the offense the last two seasons with his feet. Hate on Gundy all you want. I totally get that and agree. He makes terrible quarterback decisions, but I don’t think Rangel is nearly as bad as some of the savants profess.
In a perfect world, OSU would have gone with Rangel all of last year. By now he would be Chelf 2.0. But Gundy and good QB decisions don't collide in sentences very often, if at all.

My emotional roller coaster last night:
After their first drive: Meh, we're going to lose, as I expected.
After our first drive: Hmm, maybe we can make it interesting at least.
When we took the lead: Hey, we have shot here.
When I found out Rangel was done: Well poop, that optimism didn't last long.
When we took the lead in the 4th: Holy Freaking Cow, we are going to win this thing.
Approximately one minute of game time later: %$@#&%$#, Fire everybody, what do you mean I'm out of beer. Screw it, time for bed.
This morning: When does basketball start?

Sadly we are probably stuck with Bowman at least one more game. Hopefully they spend the next couple weeks getting Smith some reps then let him play the last four games of the season so he can keep his redshirt. If we make a bowl game let Bowman get his swan song and then help him get his LinkedIn updated.

I'm confident he will play this year. The decision to add more qb run really opened up the offense. We have to stick with that.

Hopefully we can beat Baylor with Bowman and Smith can take over after that. With Rangel and Flores out, he'll be getting a lot more reps in practice.
I didn’t even think about the additional reps angle, great point.

BYU fan here, who has always respected and admired Gundy and his brand of coaching. That was a hell of a game. Can’t believe we pulled it out.

You guys traveled really well and were all very classy. I was talking to one of your fans at the game with 2 mins to go and said looks like you got us again. You guys then scored and weren’t scummy or obnoxious just happy go lucky. Great sportsmanship all around when I thought it was game over. but seriously you have a great team and I would 100% not want to play again this season. Not gonna lie though last years denial of a post season sucked by you guys but that’s the game we all love.

Here is hoping you run the table from here on out. Looking forward to playing in the future and proud to share a conference with you all.

Sadly we are probably stuck with Bowman at least one more game. Hopefully they spend the next couple weeks getting Smith some reps then let him play the last four games of the season so he can keep his redshirt. If we make a bowl game let Bowman get his swan song and then help him get his LinkedIn updated.
I don’t believe bowl games count against the redshirt anymore. If Smith is at all serviceable I believe he could finish the year after Baylor.

My emotional roller coaster last night:
After their first drive: Meh, we're going to lose, as I expected.
After our first drive: Hmm, maybe we can make it interesting at least.
When we took the lead: Hey, we have shot here.
When I found out Rangel was done: Well poop, that optimism didn't last long.
When we took the lead in the 4th: Holy Freaking Cow, we are going to win this thing.
Approximately one minute of game time later: %$@#&%$#, Fire everybody, what do you mean I'm out of beer. Screw it, time for bed.
This morning: When does basketball start?
Ditto

Back