Official Game Thread: South Dakota State vs. Oklahoma State

There was nothing special about this performance. Disappointed in the run blocking, secondary and guys going through the motions in the 4th quarter. Have to improve quickly if this team wants to accomplish what we all hope they can.

There was nothing special about this performance. Disappointed in the run blocking, secondary and guys going through the motions in the 4th quarter. Have to improve quickly if this team wants to accomplish what we all hope they can.
For crying out loud. SDSU was a team that had won 29 game in a row, with their last loss being 7-6 to Iowa on the road. They are as good, if not better, than many teams other Top 25 teams played this week. We did everything we needed to; played clean, stayed healthy, and got the season off to a good start. We nearly won by more points today against a much better team than we scored in an entire game against Central Arkansas in last year's opener. Just enjoy the win. I don't understand the need to go looking for negatives here.

A lot more comfortable win than I and most expected, so great way to start the season. Offense seemed to move the ball through the air and on the ground when they wanted to, before the 4th Q shell. I’ve still got a lot of questions Nardo and the D. They did come up with big stops when needed, but the SD QB also seemed to miss on several wide open opportunities.

A lot more comfortable win than I and most expected, so great way to start the season. Offense seemed to move the ball through the air and on the ground when they wanted to, before the 4th Q shell. I’ve still got a lot of questions Nardo and the D. They did come up with big stops when needed, but the SD QB also seemed to miss on several wide open opportunities.
He had some bad misses, but some were forced by the pressure. No defense can be everywhere- when we blitzed, we left some areas of the field open knowing that we'd need to get to him before those windows were available. This guy is a 5th year senior and he was able to stay alive long enough and recognized where his receivers would be open. He is a very good player and will likely be drafted next spring. Not every QB we will face this year will be able to evade the blitz and recognize coverage gaps like he did.

6 or 7 in the box every play. Throw the ball down the field!!!
Yes, they really crowded the box to keep Ollie and the running game in check! Bowman had three TDs via the air and should have had 4 if Owens hangs on to that pass in the end zone in the first quarter!!! His protection was very good as they hardly touched Alan all day!!!

South Dakota State had 8 guys in the box nearly the entire game. Doesn’t include when they had safeties playing the run first. I know from the naked eye it seemed ugly or unimpressive but our OL played their ass off. They played the majority of the game of with 2 more guys playing the run than we could account for. However, this is what led to the WR’s having space. Was a solid day with room to improve!

For crying out loud. SDSU was a team that had won 29 game in a row, with their last loss being 7-6 to Iowa on the road. They are as good, if not better, than many teams other Top 25 teams played this week. We did everything we needed to; played clean, stayed healthy, and got the season off to a good start. We nearly won by more points today against a much better team than we scored in an entire game against Central Arkansas in last year's opener. Just enjoy the win. I don't understand the need to go looking for negatives here.
Not my intention to be overly negative. SDSU is probably better than most of the FBS programs so getting a comfortable win is a good thing and not something to scoff at. I’m looking at more of the same issues we saw with the defense last year that need to be cleaned up and I hoped to see that improved over the offseason. The positive was we kept them out of the end zone even with the big chunk plays.

The offense is going to be very good with all the weapons and I think Bowman is going to take a huge step. He gets a lot of hate around the big 12 media but I think he is going to prove some people wrong. The mystery to me is the defense. I’m just not sold on Nardo but I hope I’m wrong.

There were several more throws that the QB didn’t connect on where guys were wide open as well. Also gave up some chunk runs where guys got out of their gaps but that is easily fixable. Overall, I think that is a good win but it was nothing special given the expectations this team has.

South Dakota State had 8 guys in the box nearly the entire game. Doesn’t include when they had safeties playing the run first. I know from the naked eye it seemed ugly or unimpressive but our OL played their ass off. They played the majority of the game of with 2 more guys playing the run than we could account for. However, this is what led to the WR’s having space. Was a solid day with room to improve!

Don't interject logic into this. ;)

Say what you want to about the offense today but they scored on 7 of their 8 possessions and only punted once in the first 3 quarters. Then Gundy does what Gundy does and took his foot off the gas in the 4th. Most teams make their most improvement between Week 1 and 2 so excited to see what happens next week!

charlton heston laughing GIF
Thanks for playing, Wabbits.

Watching the A&M game now and they have the biggest stadium in the Sec. It is Massive. Almost double ours. I looked up the top 25 largest stadiums and number 25 is 69k. Way above ours yet we keep removing seats. To me we need a minimum 65k but it looks like there is no way we could add seats if we wanted to. Anyone know if they could add 10k seats anywhere?

Back