Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Kansas State

I love waking up early on Saturday to watch whatever performance that was. My biggest issue of all was seeing the broken plays, and QB + WR (And RB) not on the same page. It always looked more on the QB side of not being on the same page as everyone else. We lost 4-5 plays because of that. As a 7th year and 2nd year in the program you should know what play is being called.

My bad, I forgot the Mason year because it was quite frankly, forgettable. Other than that, yeah, the D is trash in nearly every statistical area. How dare we have any expectations beyond a D ranked in the 120s.
I'm not saying we can't, but the scheme is a small portion of the reason for a defense's success or failure. Recruiting and talent is much more important. That's why the last season under Knowles was so good- our defense had never been more talented or more experienced. That's not where we are right now.

I'd much rather worry about getting rid of the coordinator who's been here for 5 years and proven to be worthless instead of worrying about the coordinator who's been here for less than 1.5 seasons. Maybe we'll need to replace him too. Right now, however, our focus should be fixing the one thing we know we can do around here, which is having a potent offense.

Jesus Christ. There's not one thing in this post that is correct.

He took over after Derek Mason led us to an 115th ranked (YPG) defense. In scoring, we were 89th.

Just stop. And as a fan base, we need to stop looking at the ONE season under Knowles were we had an elite defense and acting like that's the "standard" around here. As much as I would love defense to be our identifying characteristic, we haven't been good on defense in back-to-back years in this millennia. We used to have an identity- offensive firepower. Gundy crushed that. Now we have nothing, but the easiest thing to fix with Gundy as HC is the offense. Let's fix that, then worry about trying to fire a DC who's not even 1.5 seasons into his job.

Edit: And before anyone gets me wrong- we absolutely should have paid up to keep Knowles around. Not that we would continue to have an elite defense- that was due more to the fact that we had a supremely experienced and talented defensive group with one of the better linebackers our program has ever seen. However, the fact that we kept throwing money at Dunn and didn't pony up to keep Knowles around, the only one of our coordinators who had proven that he knew what he was doing, speaks volumes to Gundy's performance as "CEO" of the program.
It’s not easy to fix when you have a head coach unwilling to objectively look at his staff who is clearly not performing at a high level.

He doesn’t want to change schemes and he thinks the game plan is good despite getting mud stomped by 21 points. He thinks we are in the game.

One final post:

It's infuriating to me that people (online/media personalities/etc) are even talking about the defensive coordinator right now. How about someone grow a set of balls and ask Gundy one question:

"Coach. In the 5 years of Dunn being your Offensive Coordinator, you've had 4 seasons of offenses ranked in the 50s, and one season ranked 36th. How much more time do you need before you can see what everyone else has seen for some time now, which is a man who's in over his head and produces an offense that is all but directionless?"

It's times like these were I wish Mr. Pickens was still alive. I can't imagine he'd be all to thrilled with watching everyone sit idly by watching Dunn crater this program that used to be seen as one of the most innovative and explosive on the offensive side of the ball.

It’s not easy to fix when you have a head coach unwilling to objectively look at his staff who is clearly not performing at a high level.

He doesn’t want to change schemes and he thinks the game plan is good despite getting mud stomped by 21 points. He thinks we are in the game.
No arguments from me here.

I'm not saying we can't, but the scheme is a small portion of the reason for a defense's success or failure. Recruiting and talent is much more important. That's why the last season under Knowles was so good- our defense had never been more talented or more experienced. That's not where we are right now.

I'd much rather worry about getting rid of the coordinator who's been here for 5 years and proven to be worthless instead of worrying about the coordinator who's been here for less than 1.5 seasons. Maybe we'll need to replace him too. Right now, however, our focus should be fixing the one thing we know we can do around here, which is having a potent offense.
I don’t disagree on Dunn. We’re in a bad spot with both coordinators, both were bad hires. Joe Bob needs to be elevated and call the D the rest of the season and Gundy needs to call plays on O. This team needs drastic changes in a hurry.

The biggest problem is how comfortable he is losing games. Of all the negatives, that's the one that I think is the root cause of all others. He simply doesn't mind losing.

One final post:

It's infuriating to me that people (online/media personalities/etc) are even talking about the defensive coordinator right now. How about someone grow a set of balls and ask Gundy one question:

"Coach. In the 5 years of Dunn being your Offensive Coordinator, you've had 4 seasons of offenses ranked in the 50s, and one season ranked 36th. How much more time do you need before you can see what everyone else has seen for some time now, which is a man who's in over his head and produces an offense that is all but directionless?"

It's times like these were I wish Mr. Pickens was still alive. I can't imagine he'd be all to thrilled with watching everyone sit idly by watching Dunn crater this program that used to be seen as one of the most innovative and explosive on the offensive side of the ball.
Gundy is the one cratering the program.

The biggest problem is how comfortable he is losing games. Of all the negatives, that's the one that I think is the root cause of all others. He simply doesn't mind losing.
Really his only objective is the bowl streak. The only time you saw any urgency out of him, and the team play inspired last year was when that looked in jeopardy.

I think you're right on this. He really doesn't seem too bothered. He once again won't be coaching a championship team and he's fine with it.
Former players have accused him of this before.

Allowing Dunn and Nardo to continue this farce shows he's fine with 3-5 losses over and over, he'll still get his 8 mil.

One final post:

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Dunn will never be a good coordinator, we have plenty of evidence. He needs to go.

Nardo is a LONG way from being a good coordinator and can't even develop a scheme to slow down a team from rushing the football all over us. OSU football should not be on the job training. Gundy tried this with the Princeton dude and it was a huge failure. This looks the same.

You can't win with three turnovers, an erratic QB, and no run game....but you also can't win by allowing over 200 yards (or 300) over and over and getting beat deep in just about every game.

Neither is close to even competing for a championship which was more than reasonable to expect.

Really his only objective is the bowl streak. The only time you saw any urgency out of him, and the team play inspired last year was when that looked in jeopardy.
I can promise you that is in jeopardy if we continue to play this poorly. Nothing leads me to believe we won’t play poorly.

Guaranteed losses: @ CU, @byu, and @tcu

Tossups: WVU, @baylor, Texas tech and Arizona State

If I was betting we win 2 of the tossups and end the season with 5 wins.

Gundy stopped caring a long time ago, when you act like a child when a reporter asks a legitimate question and than you wont even make the coordinators available to the press. He knows he will never be fired because leadership is too scared
Carlson deserved that azz chewing and much more. Scram troll

Last edited by a moderator:
I can promise you that is in jeopardy if we continue to play this poorly. Nothing leads me to believe we won’t play poorly.

Guaranteed losses: @ CU, @byu, and @tcu

Tossups: WVU, @baylor, Texas tech and Arizona State

If I was betting we win 2 of the tossups and end the season with 5 wins.
He’s probably just telling himself that those were two of the best in the B12 and there’s still plenty of opportunities remaining. Lose to WVU though and I imagine his concern ratchet’s up.

He’s probably just telling himself that those were two of the best in the B12 and there’s still plenty of opportunities remaining. Lose to WVU though and I imagine his concern ratchet’s up.
Yea they might have been but if bowman throws the ball away and our defense continues to allow tons of yards then it won’t be a mud stomping just a 7-10 point loss.

WVU is decent and can easily beat us

Shrum ain’t scared, Gundy gets in gear or he won’t be around
I respectfully disagree. He has one of the longest winning season streaks in the country and I don't see that ending this year. As bad as it looks right now, he may run the table. We should be favored in about every remaining game.
Now next year will be a complete rebuild so maybe the streak ends next season. Unless Gundy does something egregious or stacks multiple losing seasons together, I just don't see him getting fired.
That said he has to end the Kasey Dunn experiment.

Back