Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

Just coming back to this game one more time, I just read this quote:

On Ollie Gordon:

“We couldn’t really get him established early,” OSU offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn said. “And I didn’t really want to, to be honest.”

He did go on to say:

“We knew that they’re very, very good inside in the tackle area,” Dunn said. “And we just kinda wanted to give it a second and maybe wear them down just a little bit before we started springing Ollie into action.

“And it just didn’t go our way. But we had full intention to get Ollie a million carries today.”

So the coach was afraid to run Ollie against texass because they are too good to run against. That is what he just implied. I can’t believe he said this out loud. Maybe there is an injury they didn’t want to risk making worse, which I would understand, but why even say this?!

This is asinine. The recipe to beat texass was ball control. Keep the ball out of their offense’s hands (especially with OSU’s young secondary). This team has the ability to do that but they were too scared to try. There was no effort to establish the run in the first quarter and then you were behind three scores so had to throw.

Thanks Dunn, one helluva approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the coach was afraid to run Ollie against texass because they are too good to run against. That is what he just implied. I can’t believe he said this out loud. Maybe there is an injury they didn’t want to risk making worse, which I would understand, but why even say this?!

This is asinine. The recipe to beat texass was ball control. Keep the ball out of their offense’s hands (especially with OSU’s young secondary). This team has the ability to do that but they were too scared to try. There was no effort to establish the run in the first quarter and then you were behind three scores so had to throw.

Thanks Dunn, one helluva approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree to disagree here. We needed to do what we did in Bedlam and open the run up with the pass and get on the scoreboard. The horrible missed PI derailed that, they scored in a nanosecond, and we tried running it against one of the top DL's in the country. Then they score again against air & it was over.

Still can't believe how their RB's ran free into the flat all afternoon.

Yeah the defense not being able to stop texas at all made us change our offensive game plan. We knew we would be chasing all day. To be honest I'm not that upset at the offense, I thought they were playing well vs one of the top teams in the country. Now the defense looked like tech against us in 2011.

Yeah the defense not being able to stop texas at all made us change our offensive game plan. We knew we would be chasing all day. To be honest I'm not that upset at the offense, I thought they were playing well vs one of the top teams in the country. Now the defense looked like tech against us in 2011.
We could have put 11 guys in a 3-8, had them stand in predetermined spots, not moving, and had a better outcome than what we saw. We had guys running away from open receivers, because the scheme was that badly exploited.

Exactly. If you want to use Ollie as a decoy, cool....beyond just regular play action fakes, and his vastly over called boot plays, he has no other ideas. Send Ollie on a screen one way, and then flip it back to the other side to BP. Run a reverse where you start with Ollie with the ball (do NOT try a half back pass again).

I just think there are lots of guys who could do more with these players. Dunn is getting better but he's still a ways off. Again I point to Bowman's numbers at Texas Tech versus at OSU. Night and day. And he has PLENTY of tools this season, so that's no excuse.
You do realize Ollie was the starting QB at Euless Trinity his last two years! Albeit as more of a wildcat/option type QB but he is a superior athlete!!! I agree with LA above our inability to even slow down Texas offensively forced a change in the offensive game plan from the second quarter on where we had to throw the ball most of the time!

You do realize Ollie was the starting QB at Euless Trinity his last two years! Albeit as more of a wildcat/option type QB but he is a superior athlete!!! I agree with LA above our inability to even slow down Texas offensively forced a change in the offensive game plan from the second quarter on where we had to throw the ball most of the time!
I realize that, and I also remember his attempt vs OU.

Random question but have we ever won in Jerry world?
Jan 2010 - lose to Ole miss Cotton Bowl - pre ny6 bowl
Jan 2014 - lose to mizzou Cotton Bowl
Aug 2014 - lose to fsu Reg Season
Dec 2021 - lose to Baylor CCG
Dec 2023 - lose to UT CCG

Last edited:
Back