[Texas Bowl] Official Game Thread: Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma State

Just got back from Houston in time to watch OU crap their pants in the 4th quarter, and I haven't read the whole game thread, but here's a few of my thoughts:

--the difference in the first half when we were up 24-6 and 2nd half when we got outscored 17-7 was Bowman's play. In the first half, he was outstanding--and the second half I'd go as far as poor. If I had my choice, we'd land an experienced/athletic QB out of the portal...but since that's likely not going to happen, the best option is Bowman getting that waiver. He's done a lot of good things this year--perhaps the most important being a leader and a great locker room guy--but he's got to play more like a veteran next year if he's the guy. He just makes too many boneheaded decisions, and not just interceptions. He made some bad RPO reads, too. But, another year in the system, and time to work more with his WR and maybe he'll step his level up one notch.

--granted I was in the club level, but the OSU crowd seemed pretty dead. Maybe because we got out to a big lead and then just survived...but there was almost no one on their feet on third downs, just a general lack of excitement. Maybe it was just me.

--the defense still bewilders me. Now I will say--that Reed kid isn't just some 4th string QB--he was a highly recruited dual threat guy that A&M got, and he may end up being a real star. STILL, Nardo should be able to do things to confuse a kid like that...but instead, he read almost easily blitz and got the ball out easily, he knew where to go against every coverage, and caught our DL lunging inside alot and he ran outside. Gundy said "the starter getting hurt was the worst thing for our defense because we weren't ready for this kid at all." That was hyperbole but I see his point. But A&M obviously had more adjusting to do that we did, and they did it well. I'm hoping we see that big improvement between year 1 and year 2 for Nardo, because right now it looks like Gleason 2.0.

--I really hope BP comes back. He's a superstar, probably one of the biggest unsung heroes I've seen at OSU.

--should be lots of reason for excitement for the program in the offseason. We should be a preseason top 20 team and will be one of the favorites to win the league. We need a few more portal guys and then solve the QB situation. The new Big 12 won't be easy, though. Ask OU.

Overall it was a fun and crazy season, and a nice bounce back from the debacle of the previous season.

Good assessment. Hope you had a good trip.

Re: Bowman and Poke QB situation for next year. Is ZF not progressing or is there a “plan” to start working him in or whatever you want to call it. I don’t recall Gundy ever giving other QB’s playing time during the season except for the “rotation” debacle we saw this year.

I think there is still hope for him:

Jim Knowles first season as D coordinator in 2018

Total defense yards average per game 452ypg
Passing defense 267ypg
Rushing defense 185ypg
Total average points given up per game 32.6

Bryan Nardo first season as D coordinator in 2023

Total defense yards average per game. 441ypg
Passing defense 267ypg
Rushing defense 174ypg
Total average points given up per game 29.0

Let’s see if he can make the improvement that Knowles defenses did from year to year! Many would say we had a better offense in 2018 which averaged 501 yards per game compared to this group which averaged 421 yards per game! I do agree with moving Kendal Daniels down to a linebacker position and having Lyrik Rawls man the position that Daniels had this year once he is ready to go coming off injury!
I hope you're right. Definitely too early to write him off. The biggest difference between those two is that Knowles had already had success at the D1 level and Nardo is obviously green. Time will tell. I hope we take a big leap next year.

Re: Bowman and Poke QB situation for next year. Is ZF not progressing or is there a “plan” to start working him in or whatever you want to call it. I don’t recall Gundy ever giving other QB’s playing time during the season except for the “rotation” debacle we saw this year.
ZF is just fine. Gundy won’t play a freshman quarterback unless he has to play one.

The Sooner game last night served as a warning to schools facing a potential QB controversy. A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope you're right. Definitely too early to write him off. The biggest difference between those two is that Knowles had already had success at the D1 level and Nardo is obviously green. Time will tell. I hope we take a big leap next year.
That is true but Knowles really struggled to scheme against the Big XII style of offenses that were being run back during that period and Gundy had to tell him that he needed to adjust his style to stop the people we were facing week to week! 🤔

That is true but Knowles really struggled to scheme against the Big XII style of offenses that were being run back during that period and Gundy had to tell him that he needed to adjust his style to stop the people we were facing week to week! 🤔

I will eat my words if Nardo turns out good.

The one thing I don’t understand is that we had a good system under Knowles it appeared and then it was like we decided to start all over with Nardo.

I don’t know how Nardos system will work out but we know Knowles systems was really good with the right players.

The one thing I don’t understand is that we had a good system under Knowles it appeared and then it was like we decided to start all over with Nardo.

I don’t know how Nardos system will work out but we know Knowles systems was really good with the right players.
You have to have someone who understood Knowles system to continue his system. We didn’t have that.

Knowles has a knack for play calling that not many CFB coordinators possess. He dials up blitzes, mixes coverage, and plays vanilla seemingly at the perfect time often. He could adjust drive by drive or play by play. He was playing chess while many offenses were playing checkers. Probably why he's at Ohio State.

I don't think his "system" was anything that special. I think he took the Seattle Seahawks approach and kept things pretty simple so the players could be fast and not overthink stuff.

But as you mentioned, Knowles had an extraordinarily veteran group his last year at OSU. He could call plays, and they were executed up, down, and across the field with discipline, strength, and aggression. Guys weren't often out of position when the defense was setup correctly. Together with his playcalling, it yielded great results.

We haven't seen what Nardo can do with a more veteran team. That data will become available (hopefully) in the next 2 seasons. I'm hopeful he can make a personal leap in the offseason. Couple that with potentially more veteran team, and we *should* see improvement.

Knowles has a knack for play calling that not many CFB coordinators possess. He dials up blitzes, mixes coverage, and plays vanilla seemingly at the perfect time often. He could adjust drive by drive or play by play. He was playing chess while many offenses were playing checkers. Probably why he's at Ohio State.

I don't think his "system" was anything that special. I think he took the Seattle Seahawks approach and kept things pretty simple so the players could be fast and not overthink stuff.

But as you mentioned, Knowles had an extraordinarily veteran group his last year at OSU. He could call plays, and they were executed up, down, and across the field with discipline, strength, and aggression. Guys weren't often out of position when the defense was setup correctly. Together with his playcalling, it yielded great results.

We haven't seen what Nardo can do with a more veteran team. That data will become available (hopefully) in the next 2 seasons. I'm hopeful he can make a personal leap in the offseason. Couple that with potentially more veteran team, and we *should* see improvement.
Don’t get me wrong, I hope we see vast improvement.

I’m just discouraged it was so poor this year in the 100s in total defense. I understand we can see improvement but our secondary is bad.

After rotating He, Flores and Smith for the first few games.
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

I went to bed at half of Cotton Bowl. I was surprised that Knowles held Mizzou scoreless for 3 quarters, then they got loose for 14 Since he held teams almost scoreless in 2nd half while in Stillwater his final year.

Does Knowles run same defense at tOSU that he was at Poke Central? I assume he does.

I went to bed at half of Cotton Bowl. I was surprised that Knowles held Mizzou scoreless for 3 quarters, then they got loose for 14 Since he held teams almost scoreless in 2nd half while in Stillwater his final year.

Does Knowles run same defense at tOSU that he was at Poke Central? I assume he does.
I gotta believe them breaking loose for 14 in the 4th was largely due to the D being gassed. Reminiscent of some of our past seasons, the D has been on the field nearly all game, the O has to sustain a drive and score every now and then. Having to pitch a shutout to win is just bad. Looking at you, Iowa.

Actually go back and look at the 2021 season and see how much 3 man front we employed! The big difference with that defense was three NFL caliber defensive backs in Taylor, Converse-Judson and Holmes, plus potential NFL players like Jabbar Muhammad and Kori’s Black who is on our current roster that could shut down our opponents passing game! Among this group (2023) I see Korie and of course Kendall Daniels has the physical and athletic skills but has been hot and cold and I personally feel his future is at linebacker! You do have some very promising young players like Cameron Epps and Lyrik Rawls (who we all know suffered an early season injury) that could develop into next level talent!!!

Back