Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

I honestly have no idea. I'm an idiot remember, and I've already met my quota for being right today 😉 but that is what Matt Rhule said and I assume he would know.

When a QB never has to go past his first or second read the pass rush is never going to get there no matter how long they have. Secondary couldn’t cover anyone.

Years ago, UO played a Todd Dodge lead UNT team just after he was at Southlake. The OU coaches commented after the game how basic the defense was and how they couldn’t believe that few changes were made in alignments the whole game. That had to be what Sark was thinking all day yesterday. He is a great play caller, but we made it so easy for him.

I just expected a much better effort and moderately competitive play. Neither happened on defense and I believe it was because the players were not placed in a position to succeed.

Nardo is worse in nearly every category except 4th downs.

Wrong, do your homework.
07ba93627b4f4ab1f029cd45c612585c.jpg

Wrong, do your homework.
07ba93627b4f4ab1f029cd45c612585c.jpg
Oklahoma State offense average T.O.P
2018 - 27:27
2023 - 29:35

Oklahoma state Defensive plays
2018 - 974 6.0 yards per play
2023 - 895 6.4 yards per play

Not saying Nardo is Knowles or that Nardo isn’t Knowles, but statistics are only part of an evaluation not the entirety. Obviously Nardo should be given time to recruit his own players to fit his system and then we can see how good he is or isn’t.

Nardo should stay. Firing would be a knee jerk reaction.
You are right, and he won’t be fired. They certainly need to look at some staff changes though on D. A lot of guys that have been around a while. LBs showed tremendous development so Joe Bob should be good.

Need serious evaluation of Duffie, Hammer, and Richmond. Duffie had young corners that showed promise, but he is that passing game coordinator. Safeties and DL both clearly underperformed. Probably need to bring in a new face in one of those spots and bring in a guy who has been a DC at some point to help Nardo along. Also should probably move on from Gary Gibbs as the advanced scout D analyst.

Our biggest weaknesses on D have been schematic going into games. We averaged giving up 18 pts in the first half vs 11 in the 2nd. It was even worse that that if you take out the non cons and focus on the second half of the season. Halftime adjustments were typically good, but we consistently had to scrap the gameplan 2nd quarter.

Just coming back to this game one more time, I just read this quote:

On Ollie Gordon:

“We couldn’t really get him established early,” OSU offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn said. “And I didn’t really want to, to be honest.”

He did go on to say:

“We knew that they’re very, very good inside in the tackle area,” Dunn said. “And we just kinda wanted to give it a second and maybe wear them down just a little bit before we started springing Ollie into action.

“And it just didn’t go our way. But we had full intention to get Ollie a million carries today.”

Just coming back to this game one more time, I just read this quote:

On Ollie Gordon:

“We couldn’t really get him established early,” OSU offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn said. “And I didn’t really want to, to be honest.”

He did go on to say:

“We knew that they’re very, very good inside in the tackle area,” Dunn said. “And we just kinda wanted to give it a second and maybe wear them down just a little bit before we started springing Ollie into action.

“And it just didn’t go our way. But we had full intention to get Ollie a million carries today.”
There are more ways to "establish" a player than giving them a million carries. We could throw it to him out of the backfield, kinda like Texas did to us all day long.

Our staff appears to be very uncreative, unwilling, or unable to utilize more than the most basic game plans, and if the one they developed for the game doesn't work for whatever reason, its an auto-Loss, because we seemingly have no other options. It just seems overly simplistic, and overly rigid.

There are more ways to "establish" a player than giving them a million carries. We could throw it to him out of the backfield, kinda like Texas did to us all day long.

Our staff appears to be very uncreative, unwilling, or unable to utilize more than the most basic game plans, and if the one they developed for the game doesn't work for whatever reason, its an auto-Loss, because we seemingly have no other options. It just seems overly simplistic, and overly rigid.
Our "system" if one can call it that, is boring and dead in the water without dynamic playmakers on the outside. Many of us, even the most ardent supporters, have watched a game and been able to call out exactly what we're about to do. Watching Texas, I had no idea what they were going to do but I knew it was going to end up with a playmaker in space 1 on 1 or with someone wide open.

Our "system" if one can call it that, is boring and dead in the water without dynamic playmakers on the outside. Many of us, even the most ardent supporters, have watched a game and been able to call out exactly what we're about to do. Watching Texas, I had no idea what they were going to do but I knew it was going to end up with a playmaker in space 1 on 1 or with someone wide open.
Lots of teams are able to do that year in and year out. What's interesting is that you see it more in the lower CFB levels as teams search for ways to leverage scheme over talent since they can't pull in 3-5 stars consistently, and need a way to be competitive. Holgy brought the lower level mindset to Stillwater briefly, but for most of Gundy's tenure we've approached offense as if we have a group of elite, 5* OL that can line up and pound the rock all day like Alabama. It puts our offense at an immediate disadvantage unless you have an absolutely transcendental talent in the outside WR spot (which we've had a few times to cover up the scheme deficiency).

The weirdest part about this is that Gundy has very much taken a scheme-first approach on defense, because he (correctly) recognizes the difficulty in recruiting......wait for it..........elite DL prospects. His approach is sound due to our disadvantage in recruiting, but it requires a REALLY good DC to make the right calls and adjustments since they control the scheme. In Gundy's tenure, we've had (1) great DC hire.

On offense, we can't have high levels of success with our current scheme, because we are unable to get elite OL prospects consistently. Literally impossible to do, and won't ever be elite until we change our approach to either buy elite OL recruits or change our scheme.
On defense, we're actually more on the right track, but it requires an elite DC (expensive, and probably revolving door of success). Nardo may be a great hire in this regard, but we won't know for another 1-2 seasons, because he was cheap/inexperienced.

Oddly enough, from a structural standpoint, I think Gundy has more correctly handled the defensive side compared to the offensive side

In my opinion, Gundy's main flaw is that he won't allocate more money to the coordinator positions to draw or retain top talent. It is our only chance of elevating our program, but he seems uninterested in doing so.

Now.......if you're willing to be mediocre, and don't care about being elite (like seemingly most of this board), then by all means, Gundy is doing an absolutely amazing job.

To clarify - I don't think Gundy is bad. I just think he's made some decisions that limit our potential, and that seems unacceptable considering his compensation.

Last edited:
crazy stat: OSU was top 10 FBS (#10) in total wins last 10 years going into this year...pretty sure they are still top 10 or maybe 11 - as of now...

Exactly. If you want to use Ollie as a decoy, cool....beyond just regular play action fakes, and his vastly over called boot plays, he has no other ideas. Send Ollie on a screen one way, and then flip it back to the other side to BP. Run a reverse where you start with Ollie with the ball (do NOT try a half back pass again).

I just think there are lots of guys who could do more with these players. Dunn is getting better but he's still a ways off. Again I point to Bowman's numbers at Texas Tech versus at OSU. Night and day. And he has PLENTY of tools this season, so that's no excuse.

Exactly. If you want to use Ollie as a decoy, cool....beyond just regular play action fakes, and his vastly over called boot plays, he has no other ideas. Send Ollie on a screen one way, and then flip it back to the other side to BP. Run a reverse where you start with Ollie with the ball (do NOT try a half back pass again).

I just think there are lots of guys who could do more with these players. Dunn is getting better but he's still a ways off. Again I point to Bowman's numbers at Texas Tech versus at OSU. Night and day. And he has PLENTY of tools this season, so that's no excuse.
After the first 3 & out, you absolutely knew what was coming on the 2nd drive.

crazy stat: OSU was top 10 FBS (#10) in total wins last 10 years going into this year...pretty sure they are still top 10 or maybe 11 - as of now...
Crazy, for sure. Mostly a result of playing a laughable OOC schedule, weak conference schedule, and getting above average talent and coaching. Imagine what we could have done if we didn't google coordinators and pay them peanuts!

I saw a graphic from texas that had us as a key win and it had me fume at how the committee treats us. If we win they don't value us, they only value us when we lose.

I saw a graphic from texas that had us as a key win and it had me fume at how the committee treats us. If we win they don't value us, they only value us when we lose.
I've actually felt like they've given us alot of love over the last few seasons, and had us ranked probably higher than I would have multiple times.

We need to pick up a stud WR in the portal and this team will be loaded with weapons to throw to:

Stribling
Presley
Owens
Bray….

One more guy and we should be able to air raid and I don’t understand why we couldn’t play the old mike leach offense against Texas

We need to pick up a stud WR in the portal and this team will be loaded with weapons to throw to:

Stribling
Presley
Owens
Bray….

One more guy and we should be able to air raid and I don’t understand why we couldn’t play the old mike leach offense against Texas
Shettron?! if can stay healthy...and is Presley coming back?!

Back