[Texas Bowl] Official Game Thread: Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma State

I’ve never heard the word mediocre and Oliver in the same sentence.

Dude was an absolute menace all season. I do agree he is at his best as a rushing end. Hope he plays there more next season.

And hope Daniels moves to LB (like Malcolm did). His skills are best closer to the line.

This. Daniels has big problems in pass coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve never heard the word mediocre and Oliver in the same sentence.

Dude was an absolute menace all season. I do agree he is at his best as a rushing end. Hope he plays there more next season.

And hope Daniels moves to LB (like Malcolm did). His skills are best closer to the line.

Oliver is playing LB because that is the only position he'll make a living at in the NFL. Sure, he can rush/blitz on occasion and be successful, but he's far too small to be an every down DL. I'm pretty sure he/his people were totally on board with the position change.

Totally agree that Daniels would be a much better LB than a safety. And again, I think it's the only way he sniffs the NFL.

Just got back from Houston in time to watch OU crap their pants in the 4th quarter, and I haven't read the whole game thread, but here's a few of my thoughts:

--the difference in the first half when we were up 24-6 and 2nd half when we got outscored 17-7 was Bowman's play. In the first half, he was outstanding--and the second half I'd go as far as poor. If I had my choice, we'd land an experienced/athletic QB out of the portal...but since that's likely not going to happen, the best option is Bowman getting that waiver. He's done a lot of good things this year--perhaps the most important being a leader and a great locker room guy--but he's got to play more like a veteran next year if he's the guy. He just makes too many boneheaded decisions, and not just interceptions. He made some bad RPO reads, too. But, another year in the system, and time to work more with his WR and maybe he'll step his level up one notch.

--granted I was in the club level, but the OSU crowd seemed pretty dead. Maybe because we got out to a big lead and then just survived...but there was almost no one on their feet on third downs, just a general lack of excitement. Maybe it was just me.

--the defense still bewilders me. Now I will say--that Reed kid isn't just some 4th string QB--he was a highly recruited dual threat guy that A&M got, and he may end up being a real star. STILL, Nardo should be able to do things to confuse a kid like that...but instead, he read almost easily blitz and got the ball out easily, he knew where to go against every coverage, and caught our DL lunging inside alot and he ran outside. Gundy said "the starter getting hurt was the worst thing for our defense because we weren't ready for this kid at all." That was hyperbole but I see his point. But A&M obviously had more adjusting to do that we did, and they did it well. I'm hoping we see that big improvement between year 1 and year 2 for Nardo, because right now it looks like Gleason 2.0.

--I really hope BP comes back. He's a superstar, probably one of the biggest unsung heroes I've seen at OSU.

--should be lots of reason for excitement for the program in the offseason. We should be a preseason top 20 team and will be one of the favorites to win the league. We need a few more portal guys and then solve the QB situation. The new Big 12 won't be easy, though. Ask OU.

Overall it was a fun and crazy season, and a nice bounce back from the debacle of the previous season.

I still can't believe that aggy was allowed to stand over Ollie after a tackle, push him around when getting up, talk trash every play, and he was the one who got a penalty for apparently his words when the aggy pushed him. Just shockingly ridiculous. I hope Ollie learns to control his emotions a little more and avoids getting baited into things, but I see people calling him the trash talker. JFC, it was every play those a-holes were mouthing off and shoving him on the ground without any repercussion.
Dude needs to grow up a little.

Baby Hat GIF

Well done

Just got back from Houston in time to watch OU crap their pants in the 4th quarter, and I haven't read the whole game thread, but here's a few of my thoughts:

--the difference in the first half when we were up 24-6 and 2nd half when we got outscored 17-7 was Bowman's play. In the first half, he was outstanding--and the second half I'd go as far as poor. If I had my choice, we'd land an experienced/athletic QB out of the portal...but since that's likely not going to happen, the best option is Bowman getting that waiver. He's done a lot of good things this year--perhaps the most important being a leader and a great locker room guy--but he's got to play more like a veteran next year if he's the guy. He just makes too many boneheaded decisions, and not just interceptions. He made some bad RPO reads, too. But, another year in the system, and time to work more with his WR and maybe he'll step his level up one notch.

--granted I was in the club level, but the OSU crowd seemed pretty dead. Maybe because we got out to a big lead and then just survived...but there was almost no one on their feet on third downs, just a general lack of excitement. Maybe it was just me.

--the defense still bewilders me. Now I will say--that Reed kid isn't just some 4th string QB--he was a highly recruited dual threat guy that A&M got, and he may end up being a real star. STILL, Nardo should be able to do things to confuse a kid like that...but instead, he read almost easily blitz and got the ball out easily, he knew where to go against every coverage, and caught our DL lunging inside alot and he ran outside. Gundy said "the starter getting hurt was the worst thing for our defense because we weren't ready for this kid at all." That was hyperbole but I see his point. But A&M obviously had more adjusting to do that we did, and they did it well. I'm hoping we see that big improvement between year 1 and year 2 for Nardo, because right now it looks like Gleason 2.0.

--I really hope BP comes back. He's a superstar, probably one of the biggest unsung heroes I've seen at OSU.

--should be lots of reason for excitement for the program in the offseason. We should be a preseason top 20 team and will be one of the favorites to win the league. We need a few more portal guys and then solve the QB situation. The new Big 12 won't be easy, though. Ask OU.

Overall it was a fun and crazy season, and a nice bounce back from the debacle of the previous season.
I think there is still hope for him:

Jim Knowles first season as D coordinator in 2018

Total defense yards average per game 452ypg
Passing defense 267ypg
Rushing defense 185ypg
Total average points given up per game 32.6

Bryan Nardo first season as D coordinator in 2023

Total defense yards average per game. 441ypg
Passing defense 267ypg
Rushing defense 174ypg
Total average points given up per game 29.0

Let’s see if he can make the improvement that Knowles defenses did from year to year! Many would say we had a better offense in 2018 which averaged 501 yards per game compared to this group which averaged 421 yards per game! I do agree with moving Kendal Daniels down to a linebacker position and having Lyrik Rawls man the position that Daniels had this year once he is ready to go coming off injury!

Decade of not meeting unrealistic expectations will do that to ya
Don't tell that to my aggy buddies. One of the latest lines of BS they've fed me is they're still more relevant than OSU exactly because their failure to meet expectations gets media attention. That's right.

Over the last 10-12 years...More 10 win seasons? More top 25 wins? More conference title appearances? More NY6 appearances and wins? One of the longest standing winning season and bowl appearance streaks? None are of any consequence. The ags are more relevant than the Pokes because they're mediocrity garners media attention even though it's to laugh at them.

They should start a gymnastics program in CSTAT. They'd win every title if their physical gymnastics capabilities were even half that of their mental capabilities.

Don't tell that to my aggy buddies. One of the latest lines of BS they've fed me is they're still more relevant than OSU exactly because their failure to meet expectations gets media attention. That's right.

Over the last 10-12 years...More 10 win seasons? More top 25 wins? More conference title appearances? More NY6 appearances and wins? One of the longest standing winning season and bowl appearance streaks? None are of any consequence. The ags are more relevant than the Pokes because they're mediocrity garners media attention even though it's to laugh at them.

They should start a gymnastics program in CSTAT. They'd win every title if their physical gymnastics capabilities were even half that of their mental capabilities.
What media attention outside of BCS/houston?

Back