Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Central Florida

So based on a 3 way tie between OSU, ou, and KSU, K-state would seem to be the leader? If that were to happen, and they are comparing win % against middle tier conference opponents, K-state will have won them all with their only losses being us and Texas.

Kansas chances against Kstate,are probably done as I can’t imagine Bean will play. And ISU very likely loses its last two against Texas and at Kstate.

It kind of depends on who the highest seeded common opponent was and if there was more than one. If highest seeded was just Kansas (higher ranked than ISU, we’re in….OU is eliminated and then we won head to head.

KU’s loss and ISU’s win yesterday potentially both hurt us.

Sadly his scheme doesn’t generate a pass rush, which doesn’t help our young secondary
You have to be super aggressive to generate pressure with a 3-DL scheme, and we aren't. We do the delayed LB blitz thing fairly often, but that free rusher is getting to the QB 0.5 seconds too late in most cases, or is so obvious and simple that it gets easily picked up. It worked well against uo for some reason, but its failed in most other games.

Our defense seems to lack the aggression needed to make it work. Its stuck in limbo between coverage and pressure, which simply doesn't work with 3 down. You have to call plays that take the initiative, not sit back and wait. Sitting back and reacting with 3 DL is a recipe for 4.0 ypc from the RB running straight up the middle, which a team can do all day.

It could be a matter of experience (new DC, young players), so we'll have to see if adjustments are made for his second season.

You have to be super aggressive to generate pressure with a 3-DL scheme, and we aren't. We do the delayed LB blitz thing fairly often, but that free rusher is getting to the QB 0.5 seconds too late in most cases, or is so obvious and simple that it gets easily picked up. It worked well against uo for some reason, but its failed in most other games.

Our defense seems to lack the aggression needed to make it work. Its stuck in limbo between coverage and pressure, which simply doesn't work with 3 down. You have to call plays that take the initiative, not sit back and wait. Sitting back and reacting with 3 DL is a recipe for 4.0 ypc from the RB running straight up the middle, which a team can do all day.
Aggressive to a degree…if you have the DL to generate pass rush it’ll allows you to drop more players into coverage. Pass rush and coverage have always complemented each other whether it’s an odd or even front. Iowa state had will McDonald and ML Anderson inside to generate pass rush which allowed them to have more numbers in passing situations

Goodlow isn’t a pass rusher, never was at TU. Walterscheid isn’t much of pass rusher and Kirkland sure as hell isn’t rushing the QB. Clay is more of a 3 tech than a true 0 tech. This defense will continue to struggle until we get/develop some DL that can actually rush the passer.

This makes us look like little brother. Who honestly cares, considering we flushed all the goodwill gained from that win down the toilet yesterday. It was another case of Gundy's teams not being able to handle the spotlight after experiencing success. We got destroyed by two directional schools this year, and that would be a serious indictment on just about any other power 5 coach.

Last edited:
Aggressive to a degree…if you have the DL to generate pass rush it’ll allows you to drop more players into coverage. Pass rush and coverage have always complemented each other whether it’s an odd or even front. Iowa state had will McDonald and ML Anderson inside to generate pass rush which allowed them to have more numbers in passing situations

Goodlow isn’t a pass rusher, never was at TU. Walterscheid isn’t much of pass rusher and Kirkland sure as hell isn’t rushing the QB. Clay is more of a 3 tech than a true 0 tech. This defense will continue to struggle until we get/develop some DL that can actually rush the passer.
I'm not talking about bringing zero blitzes on every play. I'm just saying that our scheme requires a degree of aggression and initiative to be effective, and right now we appear to be too reactionary.

This makes us look like little brother. Who honestly cares, considering we flushed all the goodwill gained from that win down the toilet yesterday. It was another case of Gundy's teams not being able to handle the spotlight after experiencing success. We got destroyed by two directional schools this year, and that would be a serious indictment on just about any other power 5 coach.
It was a trap game and we got trapped.

It should be a indictment but it won’t be. We will continue this type of roller coaster because coach gundy is complacent to some degree at points in the season. As long as we make a bowl game, we will continue to kick the can down the road. I don’t see us winning any big 12 titles because any time we get close then we will have an inexcusable loss to a bad football team or we will choke in a big game that would make us champions for the conference or otherwise

It should be a indictment but it won’t be. We will continue this type of roller coaster because coach gundy is complacent to some degree at points in the season. As long as we make a bowl game, we will continue to kick the can down the road. I don’t see us winning any big 12 titles because any time we get close then we will have an inexcusable loss to a bad football team or we will choke in a big game that would make us champions for the conference or otherwise

I'll bash Gundy when I think it's warranted-like his propensity to be slow to identify talent at the QB position and take too long to decide on a guy. I think that's a reasonable position given his years as a HC now & seeing this multiple times.

So I'm not a defend Gundy no matter what guy. I honestly can't believe we didn't know Bowman was the guy earlier this season, but whatever. That being said, how exactly is it that you've identified this 'complacency'? Did he just get 'complacent' following the Bedlam win and 5 straight or what?

I'll bash Gundy when I think it's warranted-like his propensity to be slow to identify talent at the QB position and take too long to decide on a guy. I think that's a reasonable position given his years as a HC now & seeing this multiple times.

So I'm not a defend Gundy no matter what guy. I honestly can't believe we didn't know Bowman was the guy earlier this season, but whatever. That being said, how exactly is it that you've identified this 'complacency'? Did he just get 'complacent' following the Bedlam win and 5 straight or what?

I mean I probably wouldn’t even mention complacency if we played a competitive game but from what we saw Saturday. It seemed like we have up

I mean I probably wouldn’t even mention complacency if we played a competitive game but from what we saw Saturday. It seemed like we have up
That really doesn't answer my question though. You think coaches and a team who have the inside track to play for a Big 12 championship just got 'complacent' after beating their biggest rival and 'gave up' in a game the following week? That's extremely weak sauce man.

That really doesn't answer my question though. You think coaches and a team who have the inside track to play for a Big 12 championship just got 'complacent' after beating their biggest rival and 'gave up' in a game the following week? That's extremely weak sauce man.
That looked like a hangover yesterday if I've ever seen one. That's on Gundy, and he should have made the team put bedlam behind them the day after the game. It looked like he allowed the team to believe that the season was over because they won bedlam. A game like yesterday should never happen with a head coach that's in his 19th year. To make matters worse, we've seen the exact same game play out twice this year, and both games were against directional schools.

I know what I saw. It seems like we had poor playcalling and I specifically saw black give up on a play that the flag was thrown… resulted in a TD.

Yes the weather played into it but we played a weak defense. Our offense couldn’t move the ball and we couldn’t score. Again back to the bad playcalling. But it wasn’t all on the coaches, the oline looked weak and lost again.

That looked like a hangover yesterday if I've ever seen one. That's on Gundy, and he should have made the team put bedlam behind them the day after the game. It looked like he allowed the team to believe that the season was over because they won bedlam. A game like yesterday should never happen with a head coach that's in his 19th year. To make matters worse, we've seen the exact same game play out twice this year, and both games were against directional schools.
‘Allowed the team to believe the season was over.’???

I’ll show myself out now…

‘Allowed the team to believe the season was over.’???

I’ll show myself out now…
He didn’t allow the team to believe the season was over. I guarantee you he told them that your only as good as your next game.

This game should be a humbling experience.
We will see how they use the game going forward or give up

I'm not talking about bringing zero blitzes on every play. I'm just saying that our scheme requires a degree of aggression and initiative to be effective, and right now we appear to be too reactionary.
I know…any 3 man scheme requires some aggression. At the end of the day, to be successful on defense, it starts upfront. Right now, we don’t have the guys.

The back end of the defense struggling isn’t that surprising considering we lost an all big XII corner and a veteran safety in Harper. This secondary desperately needs a pass rush and outside of Collin Oliver, there’s no one. Until then, the defense will struggle

He didn’t allow the team to believe the season was over. I guarantee you he told them that your only as good as your next game.

This game should be a humbling experience.
We will see how they use the game going forward or give up
Great coaches are always able to get their teams refocused after big wins. That is something that Gundy has struggled with his whole tenure here.

Back