Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Houston

Congrats on your playoff win today, but GO BLAZERS!!
Ah, a Valdosta State man haha. Great program there. Yeah a good win for us and we are having a very nice season. Next up is away to Benedict who are 11-0 so will be a tough one but I think we can do it.I will be there!

Good luck to the Blazers away to Delta State.

Ah, a Valdosta State man haha. Great program there. Yeah a good win for us and we are having a very nice season. Next up is away to Benedict who are 11-0 so will be a tough one but I think we can do it.I will be there!

Good luck to the Blazers away to Delta State.

Yup. My second undergrad degree is from VSU. I was a student there during the Mumme/Leach era. Delta State is the only current conference member to have a winning record against us, and they were our only regular season loss. Our defense is extremely young and has improved since then. Hopefully, it will be enough. Good luck with the Tigers.

Agreed. Good teams don't let one loss create a second one from the hangover.
You mean like losing to UCF after losing to USA earlier in the season? One could argue that a "good team" wouldn't have lost to both of those schools in the same season. But we did beat uo in the last Bedlam, so....... As things stand today, I'm calling this season a success even with the two ridiculous, terrible losses.

You mean like losing to UCF after losing to USA earlier in the season? One could argue that a "good team" wouldn't have lost to both of those schools in the same season. But we did beat uo in the last Bedlam, so....... As things stand today, I'm calling this season a success even with the two ridiculous, terrible losses.
That was not a case of one loss causing a second loss. We caught UCF at their peak in weather conditions that limited our offense.

52 new players, a quote "mass exodus of talent that signaled the death of our program and a coach who had lost the locker room” an unknown at QB, questions at O line, new first year DC from D3 and concerns with OC's ability to do anything, could end up winning 10 games or more and be in a conference championship. Yeah this season is a success and may be the best coaching job he's ever done especially considering where we were 4 weeks in.

One team in the country will have the perfect season which ends with winning it all. One out of all of them. I swear some of you just want to be miserable.

Last edited:
No, my post was abundantly clear.

You remind me of the old Mae West quote: "If you don't have anything nice to say, come and sit next to me"

No, my post was abundantly clear.

You remind me of the old Mae West quote: "If you don't have anything nice to say, come and sit next to me"
I have plenty of nice things to say. You just choose to ignore them.

If you read my post closely, you'll see that I currently view our season as a success, and feel ok about our team. I can also recognize that we had no business losing both of those games. Just because my posts aren't pure, 100%, unadulterated sunshine pumping doesn't mean that I'm all negative.

That was not a case of one loss causing a second loss. We caught UCF at their peak in weather conditions that limited our offense.
Sorry, I thought we were making up random criteria for what "good teams" do as some to be doing so they can spin our losses into positives.

Sorry, I thought we were making up random criteria for what "good teams" do as some to be doing so they can spin our losses into positives.
Typically, one loss causing another loss is due to lack of focus due to dwelling on the previous week loss, not games separated by each other games.

I have plenty of nice things to say. You just choose to ignore them.

If you read my post closely, you'll see that I currently view our season as a success, and feel ok about our team. I can also recognize that we had no business losing both of those games. Just because my posts aren't pure, 100%, unadulterated sunshine pumping doesn't mean that I'm all negative.
Your self-awareness meter is on E dude.

Last week was a bit out of hand, so I didn't get a chance to do the Feels Like 45 Podcast notes. Things are back on track, so here they are:

Offense
- 51% of plays used pre-snap motion
- A tale of two halves. The offense gave up 9 points in the first half which is not good.
Did a good job scheming the extra man in the box away from the play using it. A well called game, especially in the second half.

QB
- Bowman, outside of the pick 6 which may have been his worst decision of the season, had a good game.
- Read the defense well and took advantage of how Houston was stacking the box.
- Had a great touch on his deep balls and completed 4/6 which was both the most attempts and completions all season.
- Didn't get flustered with a frustrating first 1.5 quarters and really moved the ball well.
- Mentioned that according to RA (I know), Bowman is a near lock for another year/medical redshirt--especially with Cam Rising getting it at Utah in a similar situation. If this happens, we have to be one of the favorites for next year. They have not heard anything stating that Flores is ready.

RB
- Ollie is visibly banged up, but still managed ~160 yards. Another solid game against BYU should wrap up the Doak Walker and possibly other awards. The key will be staying healthy.
- Collins ankle injury is still keeping him out. He will probably try for a medical redshirt even though he has played in more than 4 games.
- Don't see why Jaden Nixon is getting carries. He is a known quantity and is not grasping what he needs to in order to be successful.

WR
- Pressley had a career game. They had major issues covering and tackling him. Still had a couple big hits that he would be good to avoid at his size. Still popped up, which is a big credit to him.
- Owens had an ok game, Bray was very limited but made an impact and ran a great route on the fade.
- LJIII also had a good game with limited touches.
- Still are going to apply for LJIII's redshirt. Is a longer shot, but he did sit out one year that they are hoping that plays in his favor.

OL
- As a group, did awesome. Houston brought 5+ rushers on over 30% of their snaps and as a group only gave up 16% QB hurries. Also pass blocked well.
- Excellent game from Michalski, who was mauling their 0 tech throughout the game. The only knock is his snaps, which are still an issue. His snap velocity ranges wildly, and sometimes he just chucks a missle, which is also inaccurate.
- Wilson was dominant at times, which is unusual as he is usually a technician and probably the least physical of our starting OL.
- Birmingham did ok, but is visibly banged up. May medically retire even though he could come back next year.
- Springfield was solid. Cooper was ok, but not as good as in previous weeks and his holding call on the 2pt conversion was not good.

TE/FB
- Josiah Johnson was great. Have started using him in the diamond formation insteand of 2 RB blockers due to his blocking ability and versitility.

Defense
- When only watching the defense, they had a good game, especially in the second half. Were dominant and completely threw Donovan Smith off his rhythm.
- Nardo made 1 adjustment to move a safety back out of the box in the 2nd half and the secondary quit giving up big plays. About the 4th straight game where this adjustment has had to have been made. At this point we should be starting there from default.

DL
- DE's had a good game, specifically in the second half. Struggled in the first half and have not been a big factor this season. Really aren't very disruptive.
- Still would like to see more consistently from this group, especially against Texas, should we face them.
- Kirkland was about a half step from 3-4 impact plays, but dominated a Houston center in his first start.

LB
- Excellent game by this group. Things seemed to change when they did more 4 down looks in the 2nd half and sent Oliver more on blitzes.
- Tried sending Benson more on blitzes, but Houston schemed well against this causing Benson to play more coverage or line further outside
- Martin gave them trouble all day. Was incredibly disruptive and led the team in tackles again.

DB
- Safeties struggled again, especially in the first half. Rucker in particular, but he did make up for it with the INT.
- What is up with Daniels? He seems slow and confused a lot. Like he is thinking too much.
- Gundy confirmed in his presser Rucker will be back next year.
- CB play was very good. They seem to lock down all but the best WR in the league. If they do lock down their man, we win. The games we have lost is when this didn't happen.

Special Teams
- Some low FG's by Hale that seem to have been adjusted

BYU
- Are a bigger threat with Reitzloff (sp?) versus Kedon Slovis. The latter is a pure pocket passer, more similar (a tune up) for Quinn Ewers if we were to face Texas in the CCG.
- Did a lot of air raid short passing game and busted out some option, which they hadn't shown all year. OU struggled defending against it. Will run a lot of wide zones. Running the ball is where they may have success.
- Don't know who they are going to play at QB.
- Not a good offense and not efficient. Their WR corps is rough and outside of the OU game, have struggled this year. Will struggle to get separating from our CBs.
- No outstanding players on their offense. Don't have a ton of playmakers. Last week surprised OU bigtime.
- Their defense does not create havoc. 130th in sacks, 117th in TFL's. 4-2-5 base defense. Did a surprise attack against OU and had some success with some 3 down lineman.
- Will be hard for them to win if we play a clean game.

Cade Prediction: 35-13 OSU
Dustin Prediction: 34-20 OSU

Back