Official Game Thread: Central Arkansas vs. Oklahoma State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there was a method to the madness.
Don't do that. Don't fall into the Gundy trap. Lots of times coaches will be vanilla in the first couple of games, especially against weaker competition, but that doesn't excuse a piss-poor performance like Saturday. OSU ought to be able to run dive 10 times in a row against a team like UCA and still march down the field. If they can't, that means trouble. Likewise, they ought to be able to run base defense in plain cover 2 or 3 and stop UCA. The fact that they couldn't do these things portends a long and troubling season. Also, don't believe the orange kool-aid excuse that UCA is a top FCS team--they're not. They were 5-6 last year. There's no other way you can look at this performance and Gundy's nonchalant attitude and see a good season coming. Also don't believe those who point to the mediocre performance against Missouri St. in 2021 as some kind of sign that this team might also be in the Big 12 championship. That team had elite defense. This team's offense is even worse and the defense is nowhere near the 2021 team's defense.

The sky isn’t falling, but I was hoping for more. We are replacing a lot of pieces, so struggling in the first game shouldn’t be a surprise. Also, as the old saying goes, the biggest improvements are between week 1 and 2. I think we’ll know a lot more next week.
The sky fell last season. I just don't see this team finding even 5 more wins on the schedule. Now, if they come out against ASU and hang 40+ and hold them to 3 tds or less, I may retract my words, but I'm not holding my breath.

Don't do that. Don't fall into the Gundy trap. Lots of times coaches will be vanilla in the first couple of games, especially against weaker competition, but that doesn't excuse a piss-poor performance like Saturday. OSU ought to be able to run dive 10 times in a row against a team like UCA and still march down the field. If they can't, that means trouble. Likewise, they ought to be able to run base defense in plain cover 2 or 3 and stop UCA. The fact that they couldn't do these things portends a long and troubling season. Also, don't believe the orange kool-aid excuse that UCA is a top FCS team--they're not. They were 5-6 last year. There's no other way you can look at this performance and Gundy's nonchalant attitude and see a good season coming. Also don't believe those who point to the mediocre performance against Missouri St. in 2021 as some kind of sign that this team might also be in the Big 12 championship. That team had elite defense. This team's offense is even worse and the defense is nowhere near the 2021 team's defense.
What do you expect when he played a bunch of new guys?

Maybe there was a method to the madness.
Nonsense. Clearly Gundy doesn't know anything beyond how to be an azz. Is that not made perfectly clear by his seven 10-win seasons and multiple NY6/BCS bowl appearances? /s

We're going to learn infinitely more about this staff and team in the next 2 weeks than we could possibly learn from last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nonsense. Clearly Gundy doesn't know anything beyond how to be an azz. Is that not made perfectly clear by his seven 10-win seasons and multiple NY6/BCS bowl appearances? /s

We're going to learn infinitely more about this staff and team in the next 2 weeks than we could possibly learn from last week.
Agreed. We will see a bit more this week, IMO

What do you expect when he played a bunch of new guys?
Don't let that get in the way of predicting excruciating sadness for OSU fans.

Last season was a wreck for sure. I'm not at all confident this season is going to be much better, and definitely don't expect a conference championship run. But does our performance in week 1 against Central Arkansas irrefutably confirm that we're trash? No. Trying to project results and deride Gundy for another horrid season before our next 2 games is about as legit as preseason rankings in March.

I expect a Big 12 program with the resources and history of OSU to mudstomp a team like UCA, regardless if the players have ever played a college snap or not.
As Boone Pickens said, "Don't rush the monkey and you'll get a better show."

I believe this game reflects Gundy’s adjustment to the transfer portal. Prior to the portal he would never play guys he doesn’t think are ready. In fact he was a big proponent of playing older
more mature players within his system. This is one of the reasons he has been so successful, playing players that are experienced in and know the system.

The portal changed that approach. Players that don’t think they got a fair chance (Presley’s little brother for example) are now bolting to the portal.

I think Gundy came into this season with this approach as a solution. He let’s them play to prove to them they are not ready. After a game or two Gundy will then field a team with players that play the best within his system.

The coaching staff will illustrate, with tape and metrics the struggles the other players had and justify them not starting or possibly not playing period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back