Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.
balloon GIF

Why don’t we change the captain and let this rebuild be complete?

Just my opinion, but it's not getting fixed until we completely clean house, top to bottom. Coaches, recruiting staff, creative, everything. But we don't have $25 million or however much we need laying around to make that happen. And we don't currently have any oil daddies willing to pay that bill. So we're going to just have to eat it until we have some bake sales.

This is going to be compounded by trying to expand the athletic village at the same time, a loss in season tickets starting next year, NIL being a dumpster fire, lesser media rights payouts in a diminished Big 12, and an AD filled with super nice people but that not being what you need right now.

The rollover contract does put OSU in a bind, if they ever wanted to fire Gundy, and it should be said, it doesn't appear they are even considering that possibility.

I wonder if part of the reason for a rollover contract is that Gundy met with Tennessee officials about a job and was rumored to be a possible candidate for other jobs. Maybe OSU admins felt like $25 million was enough to scare everyone else away.

Edit: I read more about the buyout. If Gundy leaves without permission from the OSU President, he pays $6 million, not $25 million. Also, OSU apparently CAN STOP the rolling contract, but if they do, Gundy's buyout is reduced to 5 million.

I haven't found the actual text of the contract, but the O'Colly has it. If anyone has a URL, please let me know.

Then it's back to what I said originally. It's time for the administration to notify Gundy of their intent to end the rollover. If that motivates Gundy to do better, great. If not at least the clock starts ticking to where the buyout can get to a manageable level. As it stands now, OSU has no leverage and Gundy can continue to give everyone the middle finger.

So we’re 2-2.

This loss was far less embarrassing on the box score, at least.

I’ve gotten to a happy zen place where a game won’t ruin my day. A bad season won’t ruin my year. And a bad stretch won’t ruin my life.

Again: be pissed if you’re pissed. I understand. I hate losing too. But I’m done being viscerally angry online about it anymore.

I love each and every one of y’all, and there ain’t a thing y’all can do about it. Go damned Pokes.
This! Loyal and True. The sun will come up tomorrow.

Tonight was a great night to go out to dinner with the family and enjoy the night with parents and siblings.

I'm pissed about the way things are going atm.

Oklahoma State has averaged 17.3 ppg in the last 10. Let that sink in. Embarrassing.

Then it's back to what I said originally. It's time for the administration to notify Gundy of their intent to end the rollover. If that motivates Gundy to do better, great. If not at least the clock starts ticking to where the buyout can get to a manageable level. As it stands now, OSU has no leverage and Gundy can continue to give everyone the middle finger.
AFAIK you can't undo that. It's a signed part of his contract. You take it away, it's a breach of contract... and he'd sue us for FAR more than his buyout clause.

I can't help but wonder if the Admin is using this to point OSU somewhat away from football and more towards academics. Their attitudes almost appear more resolved than fearful.

Gundy thinks he's bigger than OSU. OSU understands that it is bigger than football.

AFAIK you can't undo that. It's a signed part of his contract. You take it away, it's a breach of contract... and he'd sue us for FAR more than his buyout clause.
I’m sure there’s a clause in there that allows either side to start the clock on the contract with written notice to the other party. There’s no way it’s a lifetime contract.

I can't help but wonder if the Admin is using this to point OSU somewhat away from football and more towards academics. Their attitudes almost appear more resolved than fearful.

Gundy thinks he's bigger than OSU. OSU understands that it is bigger than football.
Academics and sports are mutually exclusive. I would think a strong athletic program would be an attraction for academic student recruiting.

Yeah that argument doesn’t hold water when we’re paying the coach over $7 million. The Athletic department didn’t have good negotiating skills in a time of conference realignment and now they are stuck in a bad contract. This contract will kill the program because it was a “safe bet”. Past performance does necessary predict future performance in times of uncertainty. The AD should read the tea leaves more on Gundy’s perception of players who left the program and also his conversations with donors about NIL.

I’m sure there’s a clause in there that allows either side to start the clock on the contract with written notice to the other party. There’s no way it’s a lifetime contract.
Unfortunately a lifetime contract is indeed... a lifetime contract. If OSU could just make it not, then there wouldn't be a point. OSU's built-in 'out' is the buyout clause. This has bitten other schools too... This is why Iowa is also stuck with Kirk Ferentz for eternity despite mediocrity. A BUNCH of schools have done this with basketball, with varying degrees of success.

The Kentucky state legislature has gotten involved to try to undo it for Kentucky basketball.

A fan's hope is that if a coach actually cares about a school, the program, and it's fans, that he'd see the writing on the wall and undo it themselves. But the school cannot.

Unfortunately a lifetime contract is indeed... a lifetime contract. If OSU could just make it not, then there wouldn't be a point. OSU's built-in 'out' is the buyout clause. This has bitten other schools too... This is why Iowa is also stuck with Kirk Ferentz for eternity despite mediocrity. A BUNCH of schools have done this with basketball, with varying degrees of success.

The Kentucky state legislature has gotten involved to try to undo it for Kentucky basketball.

A fan's hope is that if a coach actually cares about a school, the program, and it's fans, that he'd see the writing on the wall and undo it themselves. But the school cannot.
It's not really a lifetime contract. One news report says that OSU can stop the clock on the contract rollover, but Gundy's buyout to go to another team then goes from $6 million to $5 million. If OSU wishes to fire Gundy, the payout is over $25 million right now (5 times his present salary).

I have a feeling you are incorrect.

That should've happened at the end of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back