Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a lawyer and I haven't actually read the contract, but I don't think that is correct. I'm pretty sure that OSU can notify Gundy that his automatic rollover is being canceled at the end of each year. If you are correct, then that means Gundy's contract is actually a lifetime contract and can never be canceled. I doubt that is legal since Gundy is technically a state employee.

Yes, it basically is a lifetime contract. This is not that unusual in sports contracts. Often coaches with rollover contracts like Chip Kelly at Oregon move on voluntarily to other jobs, but as was the case with Paul Hewett at Georgia Tech, the school has to buy out the every year of his contract when they didn’t want him anymore.

Last edited:
Gundy has to embrace NIL and the portal. His lack of understanding this or blatant refusal to do it is resulting in a lack of the talent his teams have had historically. He can no longer recruit 2 or 3 stars and expect they will stay in the system and develop them to 4 or 5 stars. That era of college football is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gundy has to embrace NIL and the portal. His lack of understanding this or blatant refusal to do it is resulting in a lack of the talent his teams have had historically. He can no longer recruit 2 or 3 stars and expect they will stay in the system and develop them to 4 or 5 stars. That era of college football is gone.

Exactly. The portal and NIL have completely changed college football forever. And just because he doesn’t like it, he is going to completely destroy everything he has built. You have to adapt

I’m not sure why I torture myself and listen, but Gundy’s radio postgame was basically just congratulating the team for trying hard until the end, and saying we’re fine, attitude is good.

How did the athletic department fleece all these new season ticket holders to buy season tickets? That’s the greatest achievement of Chad Weibergs career so far.

So we’re 2-2.

This loss was far less embarrassing on the box score, at least.

I’ve gotten to a happy zen place where a game won’t ruin my day. A bad season won’t ruin my year. And a bad stretch won’t ruin my life.

Again: be pissed if you’re pissed. I understand. I hate losing too. But I’m done being viscerally angry online about it anymore.

I love each and every one of y’all, and there ain’t a thing y’all can do about it. Go damned Pokes.

Yes, it basically is a lifetime contract. This is not that unusual in sports contracts. Usually coaches with rollover contracts like Chip Kelly at Oregon move on voluntarily to other jobs, but as was the case with Paul Hewett at Georgia Tech, the school has to buy out the every year of his contract when they didn’t want him anymore.

Like I said, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't actually read the contract so maybe you're correct. However, if you are that's pretty stupid, and the people that agreed to and signed this contract should be fired. It also means that we will never get rid of Gundy until he decides to retire. Won't that be fun, an 85 year old Gundy riding his Rascal Scooter on the sidelines.

Like I said, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't actually read the contract so maybe you're correct. However, if you are that's pretty stupid, and the people that agreed to and signed this contract should be fired. It also means that we will never get rid of Gundy until he decides to retire. Won't that be fun, an 85 year old Gundy riding his Rascal Scooter on the sidelines.
The rollover contract does put OSU in a bind, if they ever wanted to fire Gundy, and it should be said, it doesn't appear they are even considering that possibility.

I wonder if part of the reason for a rollover contract is that Gundy met with Tennessee officials about a job and was rumored to be a possible candidate for other jobs. Maybe OSU admins felt like $25 million was enough to scare everyone else away.

Edit: I read more about the buyout. If Gundy leaves without permission from the OSU President, he pays $6 million, not $25 million. Also, OSU apparently CAN STOP the rolling contract, but if they do, Gundy's buyout is reduced to 5 million.

I haven't found the actual text of the contract, but the O'Colly has it. If anyone has a URL, please let me know.

Last edited:
The rollover contract does put OSU in a bind, if they ever wanted to fire Gundy, and it should be said, it doesn't appear they are even considering that possibility.

I wonder if part of the reason for a rollover contract is that Gundy met with Tennessee officials about a job and was rumored to be a possible candidate for other jobs. Maybe OSU admins felt like $25 million was enough to scare everyone else away.
Whatever the reasoning and whomever made the contract decision were complete and utter morons as we don't have the financials to make such a decision.

So we’re 2-2.

I’ve gotten to a happy zen place where a game won’t ruin my day. A bad season won’t ruin my year. And a bad stretch won’t ruin my life.

Again: be pissed if you’re pissed. I understand. I hate losing too. But I’m done being viscerally angry online about it anymore.

I love each and every one of y’all, and there ain’t a thing y’all can do about it. Go damned Pokes.
Sounds like someone has had a few at the Stonewall Tavern.

So we’re 2-2.

fist shake GIF

So we’re 2-2.

I remember when this was funny. What goes around comes around, eh?

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 7
So we’re 2-2.

Day drinking is fun! But I’m close to the same point in my fandom. Decades (like 4!) of zero expectations then a few “Hey we’re pretty good this year”, spikes and then Miles starts the ball rolling and it’s 13-14 years of increasing expectations and now this plateau. There’s a whole generation of guys that know nothing but OSU being a ranked team and going to a bowl out there now and their expectations are really different than mine. I love it when we’re competitive but for the last couple of years my overall investment is down. I’m really sick of the “NIL is our problem” crap but the truth is that in the long run it will definitely severely limit our ability to remain relevant. Writing’s on the wall without some type of NIL cap type intervention.

So we’re 2-2.

I totally get what you're saying. I used to let this stuff ruin my weekend and up to about Thursday of the next week. I've been able disconnect the way I did with OSU basketball. I'll still make some posts expressing my frustration, but I'm not really mad about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back