2022-2023 Off-Season

Watching a replay of the Ol’ Miss spring game and Spencer Sanders is absolutely lighting it up. It’s amazing watching him with an offensive line that gives him all kinds of time and gaping holes to run through. He’s going to have a huge year this year at Ole Miss if he gets that kind of protection. It’s really an opportunity lost for what we could’ve seen that he had to run around like a chicken with his head cut off with zero protection for four years at OSU. We had better fix that issue to at least the level of an average offensive line, or Bowman is going to get lit up in the backfield.
1) That was against 2nd string.
2) Jaxon Dart also looked great against the 1st string.
3) Ole Miss is weaker on the defensive side of the ball.

Plus, he had games like that at OSU. The problem is he was just as likely to have a 3 pick game.

Im looking forward to getting back to the passing attack.

This is the first season since all the way back to the early 70s when we had Brent Blackmon for quarterback that I have absolutely no clue how good we’re going to be. We may be a 10 or 11 win team or we may be a 3-8 team. I just have absolutely no idea but I’m looking forward to finding out.

Plus, he had games like that at OSU. The problem is he was just as likely to have a 3 pick game.

Rumors out of Ole Miss fans that Spencer got hurt at some point in the spring and is not going to play this fall.

He was also in a "no touchy" jersey........

This is the first season since all the way back to the early 70s when we had Brent Blackmon for quarterback that I have absolutely no clue how good we’re going to be. We may be a 10 or 11 win team or we may be a 3-8 team. I just have absolutely no idea but I’m looking forward to finding out.
Bet you dollars to donuts we're closer to 10 than 3....... :ROFLMAO:

Did he win qb1?
I believe our line was built more for a Rudolph type qb vs the run around like chicken...esp once injuries depleted depth for several games.
Also, I believe SS over compensated for the lack of mobility in the oline which created more issues in execution of blocking schemes for said "mobile" qb...

It's the spring game...let him marinate til the season before sipping the Toddies...
I think our line was "built" off of culture first, then scheme second. We get 3* guys and middle tier transfer project players and attempt to make them serviceable.

Our OL was objectively bad, but Sanders often magnified their poor play with his own bad tendencies. There were many times that he bailed way too early on a play, or displayed awful pocket presence tendencies that led directly to turnovers. Sure, a DE shouldn't be on him in 0.5 seconds, but he could also get rid of the ball in that timeframe, or sidestep right, or step up in the pocket to avoid. Instead, he floated backwards to his right, and threw off his back foot or got sacked, or just generally started wildly scrambling. He had all the physical tools required to succeed, but just had poor discipline, diagnosis, pocket presence, and fundamentals.

I'd be curious to know how many times a good QB with pocket presence could have turned his sacks or INTs into positive plays for us, because there were times that he made the OL look worse due to his bad tendencies.

He definitely made up for it at times with his elite athleticism, but I call it a wash based on all his other poor tendencies. I, for one, am glad we're on to other QBs.

I think our line was "built" off of culture first, then scheme second. We get 3* guys and middle tier transfer project players and attempt to make them serviceable.

Our OL was objectively bad, but Sanders often magnified their poor play with his own bad tendencies. There were many times that he bailed way too early on a play, or displayed awful pocket presence tendencies that led directly to turnovers. Sure, a DE shouldn't be on him in 0.5 seconds, but he could also get rid of the ball in that timeframe, or sidestep right, or step up in the pocket to avoid. Instead, he floated backwards to his right, and threw off his back foot or got sacked, or just generally started wildly scrambling. He had all the physical tools required to succeed, but just had poor discipline, diagnosis, pocket presence, and fundamentals.

I'd be curious to know how many times a good QB with pocket presence could have turned his sacks or INTs into positive plays for us, because there were times that he made the OL look worse due to his bad tendencies.

He definitely made up for it at times with his elite athleticism, but I call it a wash based on all his other poor tendencies. I, for one, am glad we're on to other QBs.
Heck forget turning those sacks or INTs into positive plays. I would have just taken him throwing the ball away for a lot of them. Bowman is already having reports that he does this. Extends the play by moving in the pocket, trying to get a man open, and if he doesn't he throws it away. That alone should make our offense better than it was many times with Spencer. Even when Sanders would scramble for positive yardage he opened himself to the plethora of injuries he got.

Depends on your definition of a "running QB".

Personally, I'd welcome a "running QB" if they were smart, have a good arm, and can use their legs when needed.
Where is this unicorn you speak of? Three of our last four "running qbs" had one to two great games then were less than average in comparison to our "throwing qbs". ZB was at or above average production for the "throwing qbs" but he's also coaching in the NFL but he still had injury issues. Injuries are an accelerated issue. Manzel, Tebow and gooner smurf are about the only three qbs with any kind of longevity without injury issues. Vince Young and Colt McCoy even had injury issues in college. Your odds of finding the unicorn are extremely low. It's a wonderful idea that just doesn't pan out.

Where is this unicorn you speak of? Three of our last four "running qbs" had one to two great games then were less than average in comparison to our "throwing qbs". ZB was at or above average production for the "throwing qbs" but he's also coaching in the NFL but he still had injury issues. Injuries are an accelerated issue. Manzel, Tebow and gooner smurf are about the only three qbs with any kind of longevity without injury issues. Vince Young and Colt McCoy even had injury issues in college. Your odds of finding the unicorn are extremely low. It's a wonderful idea that just doesn't pan out.
Nearly every current successful NFL team is leverage mobile QBs. Below is a list of teams that made the playoffs in 2022. Interestingly, all of these same QBs played in college as well, so they exist. I would say out of the (14) teams listed below, only 3 or 4 of them utilized primarily pocket passing QBs.

AFC
Chiefs - Mahomes - super mobile, elite pocket presence
Bills - Josh Allen - running QB / dual threat
Bengals - Joe Burrow - above average mobility, good pocket presence
Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence - true dual threat
Chargers - Justin Herbert - above average mobility, good pocket presence
Ravens - Lamar Jackson - running QB / dual threat
Dolphins - Tua Tagovailoa - above average mobility, good pocket presence

NFC
Eagles - Jalen Hurts - great mobility / dual threat
49ers - Lance (running QB/injured), Garoppolo (statue/also injured), Purdy (highly mobile, great pocket presence/also injured)
Vikings - Kirk Cousins - limited mobility, but good pocket presence
Buccaneers - Tom Brady - least mobile QB of all time, but results speak for themselves
Cowboys - Dak Prescott - great mobility / dual threat
Giants Seahawks - Geno Smith - adequate mobility / average pocket presence

Point being - the game has evolved to smartly utilize mobility from the QB position. Just because a guy can run doesn't mean they necessarily increase risk of injury. I'll take a guy like Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Tua, or Mahomes who are pass-first, but know how to get chunks of yardage with their legs when it makes sense.

Nearly every current successful NFL team is leverage mobile QBs. Below is a list of teams that made the playoffs in 2022. Interestingly, all of these same QBs played in college as well, so they exist. I would say out of the (14) teams listed below, only 3 or 4 of them utilized primarily pocket passing QBs.

AFC
Chiefs - Mahomes - super mobile, elite pocket presence
Bills - Josh Allen - running QB / dual threat
Bengals - Joe Burrow - above average mobility, good pocket presence
Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence - true dual threat
Chargers - Justin Herbert - above average mobility, good pocket presence
Ravens - Lamar Jackson - running QB / dual threat
Dolphins - Tua Tagovailoa - above average mobility, good pocket presence

NFC
Eagles - Jalen Hurts - great mobility / dual threat
49ers - Lance (running QB/injured), Garoppolo (statue/also injured), Purdy (highly mobile, great pocket presence/also injured)
Vikings - Kirk Cousins - limited mobility, but good pocket presence
Buccaneers - Tom Brady - least mobile QB of all time, but results speak for themselves
Cowboys - Dak Prescott - great mobility / dual threat
Giants Seahawks - Geno Smith - adequate mobility / average pocket presence

Point being - the game has evolved to smartly utilize mobility from the QB position. Just because a guy can run doesn't mean they necessarily increase risk of injury. I'll take a guy like Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Tua, or Mahomes who are pass-first, but know how to get chunks of yardage with their legs when it makes sense.
Seems like you changed your tune from "Running QB" to "Mobile QB" though, and for most people those are not the same things at all. I don't think you are going to find many that are going to back a plan with a "Statue QB" in this day and age of football so your discussion loses some steam with that wording change.

Seems like you changed your tune from "Running QB" to "Mobile QB" though, and for most people those are not the same things at all. I don't think you are going to find many that are going to back a plan with a "Statue QB" in this day and age of football so your discussion loses some steam with that wording change.
Nice point.

Back