2022-2023 Off-Season

Seems like you changed your tune from "Running QB" to "Mobile QB" though, and for most people those are not the same things at all. I don't think you are going to find many that are going to back a plan with a "Statue QB" in this day and age of football so your discussion loses some steam with that wording change.
end of discussion. Well done

Seems like you changed your tune from "Running QB" to "Mobile QB" though, and for most people those are not the same things at all. I don't think you are going to find many that are going to back a plan with a "Statue QB" in this day and age of football so your discussion loses some steam with that wording change.
No, I said that it depends on your definition of it, recognizing that there's margin in how its defined... Mobility is the better discussion. And even "running QBs" can have success if they run intelligently.

No, I said that it depends on your definition of it, recognizing that there's margin in how its defined... Mobility is the better discussion. And even "running QBs" can have success if they run intelligently.
Still doesn't change the fact that you moved the goal posts. I agree though that a mobile QB is best. But to most a running QB is one that is looking to run at the first chance he gets and has quite a few plays scripted for him to run the ball. A mobile QB is going to be elusive in and out of the pocket, but is trying to buy time to throw the ball first, run if there is an open lane (with less chance of injury where they can run out of bounds or slide), or if neither of those are an option will throw it away.

Still doesn't change the fact that you moved the goal posts. I agree though that a mobile QB is best. But to most a running QB is one that is looking to run at the first chance he gets and has quite a few plays scripted for him to run the ball. A mobile QB is going to be elusive in and out of the pocket, but is trying to buy time to throw the ball first, run if there is an open lane (with less chance of injury where they can run out of bounds or slide), or if neither of those are an option will throw it away.
Its literally why I said we need to define what a running QB is, which you now have. I agree with your definition, but wanted to know what you meant originally. I didn't move the goal posts, I just wanted to define where they were, and offered a spectrum of options.

I agree that a run-first QB carries a perceived enhanced risk of injury.
I disagree that a mobile QB carries the same perceived risk of injury.

I think statistically they've shown that there is equal risk due to the random nature of how collisions happen in football. Even pocket passers get injured pretty often, and guys like Collin Klein can go game after game, and keep playing.

Its literally why I said we need to define what a running QB is, which you now have. I agree with your definition, but wanted to know what you meant originally. I didn't move the goal posts, I just wanted to define where they were, and offered a spectrum of options.

I agree that a run-first QB carries a perceived enhanced risk of injury.
I disagree that a mobile QB carries the same perceived risk of injury.

I think statistically they've shown that there is equal risk due to the random nature of how collisions happen in football. Even pocket passers get injured pretty often, and guys like Collin Klein can go game after game, and keep playing.
A run first is run first for a reason. The reason we have seen many times here. They are barely capable of throwing. Those are disadvantages to an offense.

A run first is run first for a reason. The reason we have seen many times here. They are barely capable of throwing. Those are disadvantages to an offense.
Agreed. They limit your offense significantly, and put a ceiling on overall team success. Its been that way for over a decade. Not sure why we'd recruit that style of QB and/or build offenses around them in 2023.

Agreed. They limit your offense significantly, and put a ceiling on overall team success. Its been that way for over a decade. Not sure why we'd recruit that style of QB and/or build offenses around them in 2023.
Especially with how sanders went.

I fear that we may have a new found appreciation for Sanders ability before the upcoming season is over. I hope I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bingo. I know we have a transfer from Texas Tech but I'd take Sanders all day over Tech transfer. Sanders had a "I need to make something from nothing" mentality and it resulted in many turnovers. That turned many fans against him and understandably so. But he was also incredibly athletic. And while he had many turnovers, he did have many more success than not when trying to turn nothing into something. He was very good at doing that despite the turnovers.

Sanders never had an oline worth a damn. Sanders should've been much more successful while he was here. Unfortunately, oline recruiting is just a disaster year after year.

And this part is no longer a reply to quote I've quoted:

I hate to say it. Truly. I despise being negative. But I have to accept reality. I think we finish 10th or worse in conference. Our offense is a disaster.. I'd take Kansas' offense over what we have without hesitation. And the defense is in the hands of an unknown and unproven players. I'll give Gundy credit when it comes to hiring unknowns. But, good lord. The new DC is an unknown of unknowns.

Gundy made his career by developing guys who stayed 3-5 years. Now it's going to be a new roster every year. And that's a recipe for disaster. It's over. It's a shame.

Bingo. I know we have a transfer from Texas Tech but I'd take Sanders all day over Tech transfer. Sanders had a "I need to make something from nothing" mentality and it resulted in many turnovers. That turned many fans against him and understandably so. But he was also incredibly athletic. And while he had many turnovers, he did have many more success than not when trying to turn nothing into something. He was very good at doing that despite the turnovers.

Sanders never had an oline worth a damn. Sanders should've been much more successful while he was here. Unfortunately, oline recruiting is just a disaster year after year.

I hate to say it. Truly. I despise being negative. But I have to accept reality. I think we finish 10th or worse in conference. Our offense is a disaster.. I'd take Kansas' offense over what we have without hesitation. And the defense is in the hands of an unknown and unproven players. I'll give Gundy credit when it comes to hiring unknowns. But, good lord. The new DC is an unknown of unknowns.

Gundy made his career by developing guys who stayed 3-5 years. Now it's going to be a new roster every year. And that's a recipe for disaster. It's over. It's a shame.
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

There is so much wrong with your post that honestly its now worth the trouble to discuss it... Just give up being on OSU fan.

I fear that we may have a new found appreciation for Sanders ability before the upcoming season is over. I hope I’m wrong.
There are multiple ways you can have success on offense when you have a weak OL. An elusive QB helps, but so does one that can get rid of the ball quickly. I don't see any reason to panic yet.

shade downer GIF by Lifetime Telly

Hey Captain Quirk is the tailgating going to remain the same and in the same spot! I don't know if David is on here to respond! Thanks

Hey Captain Quirk is the tailgating going to remain the same and in the same spot! I don't know if David is on here to respond! Thanks
I contacted him and he said the plan is to continue the tailgate as usual as long as we can use that location.

Edit: He said the only complication he can foresee is if they tear down the housing in that area. That area would be blocked off. I think he is referring to Kerr-Drummond.

Last edited:
Back