Offseason Thread: What was your favorite OSU football moment?

GratefulPoke

Administrator
Staff member
Patreon Supporter
What was your favorite OSU football moment in any season?

I technically have two: The first was the absolute beat down we gave OU in 2011. The atmosphere right off the bat was celebration since the beatdown started early and it felt awesome, especially considering our recent run in that series. My second favorite was the 2nd half of the 2011 Fiesta Bowl where Justin Blackmon just took over the game. His induction to the CFB Hall of Fame could not be more deserving. I think he is the best WR in NCAA history and would argue with anyone who says otherwise.

It has to be from the 2001 Bedlam Victory which was part of an ESPN weekly series on the Zero U football season that year! That particular episode generated a lot of publicity for us because of the magnitude of that upset win! My favorite part of the ESPN episode was the smug Zero U Assclown screaming “this is the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen” from his seat in the stands as the final seconds ticked off! If anyone can find and post that snippet I will donate an extra $100 in YOUR NAME to Pokes With a Purpose and give you full credit!!! 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Mine will always be back to my time in College as that was when everything was fresh and exciting. It is hard to pick one favorite, but it was probably the 2003 Texas Tech game where they almost came back from 4 touchdown downs in the 4th quarter.

Tech was virtually unstoppable in that fourth quarter. They had scored 28 points to our 3 and the score was 51-49 so all they needed was a field goal. With 4 minutes left we go three and out. Then we attempt a fake punt and screw it up. 2:08 to go Tech has the ball at their own 35. The instantly get another 20 yards. 2 minutes to go and they basically need 10 yards and a field goal.

Considering we had just witnessed 30 minutes of Tech doing whatever they wanted on offense, every soul in the building thinks it is over. Suddenly, we break through the line and chase B.J. Symons backwards for a 15 yard loss. The very next play we break through AGAIN! Symons freaks out and throws it up for grabs. We intercept it. 2 kneel downs later the game is over.

Never in my time as a college football fan have I ever seen a game swing like that. The stadium when from utter silence to the loudest I ever heard it in a moment. Complete despair became unimaginable joy in two plays. I forget who it was that broke through the line, but I think it was the same player both times. I can only image he had just then figured out the snap count.

1995 12-0 Bedlam win in Norman. First win in my lifetime (I was born in 77)

My dad and I just decided to drive up at the last minute and get tickets (was much easier back then) because we had a hunch. We celebrated on the field and then followed the busses back to Stillwater for a pretty crazy celebration.

I've also been to two Fiesta Bowl wins, the Big 12 Championship Bedlam win, Rashaun goes wild Bedlam game, win over Nebraska after however many years....but that one in '95 will always be the top.

Last edited:
Was in Norman for 16-13. Loved it.

Then my 2011 Fiesta Bowl trip.
Agree.

2011 Fiesta Bowl trip was the best all around experience. Great tailgating, amazing game and awesome celebrations at the bars after. Stanford fans vacated and it was just a huge OSU party.

1976 Bedlam in Norman, I was a Boy Scout from Stillwater and was fortunate enough to get to go to the game free as an usher. First Bedlam win in my lifetime. After the game we had a bus load of 10-12 year old scouts from Stillwater that were very excited about the win. We were shouting “ We Beat OU” and had little gray haired ladies cussing at us and throwing hot coffee through the windows at us. My first real experience with Sooner fans, can’t say it got much better in the last 50 years.

Mine will always be back to my time in College as that was when everything was fresh and exciting. It is hard to pick one favorite, but it was probably the 2003 Texas Tech game where they almost came back from 4 touchdown downs in the 4th quarter.

Tech was virtually unstoppable in that fourth quarter. They had scored 28 points to our 3 and the score was 51-49 so all they needed was a field goal. With 4 minutes left we go three and out. Then we attempt a fake punt and screw it up. 2:08 to go Tech has the ball at their own 35. The instantly get another 20 yards. 2 minutes to go and they basically need 10 yards and a field goal.

Considering we had just witnessed 30 minutes of Tech doing whatever they wanted on offense, every soul in the building thinks it is over. Suddenly, we break through the line and chase B.J. Symons backwards for a 15 yard loss. The very next play we break through AGAIN! Symons freaks out and throws it up for grabs. We intercept it. 2 kneel downs later the game is over.

Never in my time as a college football fan have I ever seen a game swing like that. The stadium when from utter silence to the loudest I ever heard it in a moment. Complete despair became unimaginable joy in two plays. I forget who it was that broke through the line, but I think it was the same player both times. I can only image he had just then figured out the snap count.

I was there in the student section for this game. Our whole section JUMPED and went loud and crazy when we intercepted it. I realized too late that I had lost my sunglasses. They were on my head and launched when we jumped. Never found them. Someone gained an expensive pair of Maui Jims that day.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. You could feel the tension in the air. I remember the section I was sitting in was mostly empty because people assumed the game was over. When he got that pick the whole place exploded. Man just mentioning it makes that game stand out vividly in my head 20 years later.

Hands down my favorite OSU football memory is from the 2005 season where we went 1-7 in conference. That one win? Against 13th-ranked Texas Tech. I was in the front row of the student section right on the goal like when Al "Jala" Pena ran the QB sneak to score a touchdown with 23 seconds left. We were so bad that year but I will always remember that game fondly.

I have two that stand above all others based purely on the electric feeling that I experienced; both from my first year at OSU (2002).

1. One of the first times I came down the tunnel in the WEZ as part of the CMB, and saw the UCLA uniforms and gold helmets. It was a really cool environment, and I recall how excited I was to partake in bigtime football. I didn't grow up in Oklahoma, had no connection to OSU, and knew very little about college football then, so it was a neat introduction.

2. Coming up from the east end zone tunnel just in time to see our defense smother Quentin Griffin on the first drive of Bedlam 2002, and hear the crowd absolutely ROAR and shake the stadium. It set the tone, and I KNEW we could beat them again. Great moment from what turned out to be a great game.

Last edited:
One of the few games I got to sit in the big boy section. Usually it was the east end zone with all the other kids. I turned to look at my dad and asked if he thought Barry Sanders would be able to replace Thurman Thomas. Everyone was lined up for the kickoff. 1988 season opening kickoff btw vs Miami Ohio.

One of the few games I got to sit in the big boy section. Usually it was the east end zone with all the other kids. I turned to look at my dad and asked if he thought Barry Sanders would be able to replace Thurman Thomas. Everyone was lined up for the kickoff. 1988 season opening kickoff btw vs Miami Ohio.
I think Barry did a pretty decent job replacing Thurman.

Back