Off-Season Fun: Top 10 OSU Wide Receivers

Are you commenting on his abilities or on the after effects? Lots of people still can't forgive, some serious bad times followed. He was just a kid though, Jimmy Johnson wasn't.

Even after all these years and all these great receivers Hart Lee Dykes is still fourth in total touchdowns and fourth in total receiving yards.
Think what he would have done in an air raid offense instead of power I

I was a Freshman during Hart's Senior year. I loved the little towels he would have tucked in the back of his pants with messages to the defender. Like BYE BYE and stuff. NCAA made him stop wearing them.

Are you commenting on his abilities or on the after effects? Lots of people still can't forgive, some serious bad times followed. He was just a kid though, Jimmy Johnson wasn't.

Even after all these years and all these great receivers Hart Lee Dykes is still fourth in total touchdowns and fourth in total receiving yards.
I just feel like Blackmon had that "It" factor. That special ability that very few have at any level. That clutch gene. Every single coverage was thrown at JB also, along with being bracketed a lot of the time as well. Dykes was an absolute freak and I'm not taking anything away from him. Yes JB played in a more dynamic offense but like I said above, he was also doubled more. Dykes also played along side 2 of the best RB's of all time. Teams couldn't take away from the box to add another guy onto Dykes a majority of the time.

1) Dez Bryant
2) Brandon Pettigrew (TE/WR)
3) Justin Blackmon
4) James Washington
5) Blake Jarwin
6) Tylan Wallace
7) Rashaun Woods
8) Hart Lee dykes
9) Marcel Ateman
10) Josh Cooper

I just feel like Blackmon had that "It" factor. That special ability that very few have at any level. That clutch gene. Every single coverage was thrown at JB also, along with being bracketed a lot of the time as well. Dykes was an absolute freak and I'm not taking anything away from him. Yes JB played in a more dynamic offense but like I said above, he was also doubled more. Dykes also played along side 2 of the best RB's of all time. Teams couldn't take away from the box to add another guy onto Dykes a majority of the time.
But yet they did

1. Hart Lee Dykes
2. Dez Bryant
3. Justin Blackmon
4. Rashaun Woods
5. James Washington
6. Adarius Bowman
7. Tylan Wallace
8. Brandon Pettigrew
9. Josh Stewart
10. Josh Cooper

1. Justin Blackmon
2. Justin Blackmon
3. Dez Bryant
4. Hart Lee Dykes
5. Rashaun Woods
6. James Washington
7. Tylan Wallace
8. Adarius Bowman
9. Josh Stewart
10. Marcell Ateman

1. Blackmon
2. Dykes
3. Woods
4. Dez
5. Washington
6. Wallace
7. Mayes
8. Bowman
9. Stewart
10. Pettigrew

I think you can argue the positioning of 1-4 but you can't argue any of them being below 4. Beyond that it's personal preference. Personally if you want to tell me Mays or Wallace were better than Washington I'll listen but vs Woods or Dez just no.

Also no knock on Gundy as a QB but it would have been interesting to see what Dykes would have done with Weeden or Rudolph as his QB. Hell no knock on Robinson as well but you could argue the same for Dez. Romo is no slouch but Weeden to Dez against a 5'8" 2* from Kansas and we may see him break Woods record.

1. Blackmon
2. Dykes
3. Woods
4. Dez
5. Washington
6. Wallace
7. Mayes
8. Bowman
9. Stewart
10. Pettigrew

I think you can argue the positioning of 1-4 but you can't argue any of them being below 4. Beyond that it's personal preference. Personally if you want to tell me Mays or Wallace were better than Washington I'll listen but vs Woods or Dez just no.

Also no knock on Gundy as a QB but it would have been interesting to see what Dykes would have done with Weeden or Rudolph as his QB. Hell no knock on Robinson as well but you could argue the same for Dez. Romo is no slouch but Weeden to Dez against a 5'8" 2* from Kansas and we may see him break Woods record.
In 1988, we used to comment how Hart made Gundy look good with his ability to get the ball.

I don't remember if it was Hart (1988) or Mayfield (1988/89), but there was a crossing route that Gundy threw behind the WR about 15 yards down field and he just reached back with one arm and grabbed it. It was looking like a pick from the moment Gundy threw it.

1988 - Hart 1278 yards. All the other WR's totaled 590 yards. TE's - 112 yds

In 1988, we used to comment how Hart made Gundy look good with his ability to get the ball.

I don't remember if it was Hart (1988) or Mayfield (1988/89), but there was a crossing route that Gundy threw behind the WR about 15 yards down field and he just reached back with one arm and grabbed it. It was looking like a pick from the moment Gundy threw it.

It was Dykes

Is that when people started hating Gundy? Was this before or after he made Parker drop that pass in the end zone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that when people started hating Gundy? Was this before or after he made Parker drop that pass in the end zone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was at the 1988 OSU-OU game and it was more about the bogus roughing call, when it was actually the OU guy pulling the OSU guy out of bounds. Just watched the TV replay of it for the first time ever and even the announcers said it was a bad call.
I have never heard anyone blame Gundy for the 4th down play and Parker dropping the ball.

It was 1989 that everyone realized Gundy was a game manager. Playing with Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, and Hart Lee Dykes has a way of making the QB look good.

1989 went 4-7 and started the season with a loss at Tulsa and capped it off with a home loss to Iowa State.

Gundy was a good QB, but he wasn't great. OSU didn't have very many good QB's in the following years.

I was at the 1988 OSU-OU game and it was more about the bogus roughing call, when it was actually the OU guy pulling the OSU guy out of bounds. Just watched the TV replay of it for the first time ever and even the announcers said it was a bad call.
I have never heard anyone blame Gundy for the 4th down play and Parker dropping the ball.

It was 1989 that everyone realized Gundy was a game manager. Playing with Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, and Hart Lee Dykes has a way of making the QB look good.

1989 went 4-7 and started the season with a loss at Tulsa and capped it off with a home loss to Iowa State.

Gundy was a good QB, but he wasn't great. OSU didn't have very many good QB's in the following years.
Tom brady is a game manager on the 1989 team

89 team was bad because Pat Jones couldn't replace the War Pigs.
Gerald Hudson would have been a Heisman candidate in 89 and 90 if he had a line.

Back