Off-Season Fun: Top 10 OSU Running Backs

celldweller7

Deputy
Patreon Supporter
Who are your 10 favorite OSU running backs? Whether you saw them in-person or only through lore, list your top 10!

1. Barry Sanders - growing up we watched him like he was a member of the family.
2. Thurman Thomas - If Dallas wasn't playing, it was all about the Bills in the early 1990s in my house and it was all because of Thurman.
3. David Thompson - One of the big reasons I love OSU football. Sitting on the floor of my dad's office, perched near his silver portable radio, listening to Bill Teegins calls on David Thompson running away. I dreamed of being Thompson in my backyard as kid. We didn't win much, but I loved every minute of it anyway.
4. Kendall Hunter - I loved watching this guy play.
5. Tatum Bell - My college age era, the big runs Bell pulled off will live in my memories forever.
6. Dantrell Savage - 100% personal, I just loved watching him play.
7. Terry Miller - I only hear stories, but they were great ones.
8. Justice Hill - I was impressed by how much it felt like he worked every time he touched the ball.
9. Vernand Morency - Man I wish he stayed his Sr year!
10. Jamaal Fobbs - Not the greatest period in Cowboy history, but he was a personal favorite of mine.

Not necessarily 10 best list for me but my favorites.
1a) Thurman
1b) Barry
3) Terry Miller
4) Ernest Anderson
5) Kendall Hunter
6) Jaylen Warren (absolute stud)
7) Gerald Hudson
8) David Thompson
9) Justice Hill
10) Tatum Bell

My age and cutting teeth as a Cowboy shows w 4 of my favorites. I acknowledge Barry as the greates human to ever walk the earth and run w a football, but man I love Thurman. They were sandwiched between Anderson and Hudson which causes those 2 to be overshadowed IMO.

Even though Jaylen only was a Cowboy for 1 season he became one of my favorites to watch. And then there’s the crazy (don’t know if it’s true story) of him walking from the Stillwater airport back to campus after the Big12 championship game on a sore ankle bc he was mad about feeling he let the team down and us losing. If that story is true he moves way up my list.

Crazy to think if Justice had stayed his final yr he was 1500 yds shy of OSU’s career rushing record. That would have been a career best for him but he did have 1467 as a sophomore.

1. Barry Sanders
2. Thurman Thomas
3. Kendall Hunter
4. Tatum Bell
5. Joseph Randle
6. Justice Hill
7. Dantrell Savage
8. Jalen Warren (Would probably be at number 4 if he had played more than one season for Oklahoma State)
9. Vernand Morency
10. Terry Miller (Based on stories alone, would most likely be much higher if I would've been able to watch him)

1. Barry Sanders
2. Thurman Thomas
3. David Thompson
4. Terry Miller
5. Ernest Anderson
6. Kendall Hunter
7. Tatum Bell
8. Gerald Hudson
9. Justice Hill
10. Chuba Hubbard
11. Joseph Randall
12. Jaylen Warren
13. Vernand Morency
14. Dantrell Savage
15. Keith Toston
Oh, Charles Crawford, what could have been! A talent in the mold of Marcus Dupree or Adrian Peterson.

For half a season one of the most talented I ever saw play was Charles Crawford. He was a difference make. Busted up his knee and was never the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My Charles Crawford story(s).
1980, Cushing vs. Bristow. Left corner with a TE to my side so I had the entire short side flat to myself when I find myself going one on one with Crawford. He probably could have juked me and sprinted off to the endzone but decided to take me head on. I was once run over by a car in slow motion and would have rather done that again than tackle Crawford again. I just held on for dear life and when it was all over it I somehow managed to hold him for something like a 1 yard gain. Rang my bell to say the least.

Other one is not really mine, but by dad's. After his playing days, Crawford applied for a job with the City of Cushing's Public Works Department that my dad ran in the 80s-90s. Dad got a kick out of "NFL running back, Philadelphia Eagles, 1986-1987" listed on his resume.

Who are your 10 favorite OSU running backs? Whether you saw them in-person or only through lore, list your top 10!

1. Barry Sanders - growing up we watched him like he was a member of the family.
2. Thurman Thomas - If Dallas wasn't playing, it was all about the Bills in the early 1990s in my house and it was all because of Thurman.
3. David Thompson - One of the big reasons I love OSU football. Sitting on the floor of my dad's office, perched near his silver portable radio, listening to Bill Teegins calls on David Thompson running away. I dreamed of being Thompson in my backyard as kid. We didn't win much, but I loved every minute of it anyway.
4. Kendall Hunter - I loved watching this guy play.
5. Tatum Bell - My college age era, the big runs Bell pulled off will live in my memories forever.
6. Dantrell Savage - 100% personal, I just loved watching him play.
7. Terry Miller - I only hear stories, but they were great ones.
8. Justice Hill - I was impressed by how much it felt like he worked every time he touched the ball.
9. Vernand Morency - Man I wish he stayed his Sr year!
10. Jamaal Fobbs - Not the greatest period in Cowboy history, but he was a personal favorite of mine.
Lot of people (younger fans) don't know/remember how important Thompson was. Was 11th in the country in 1995 and 8th in the country in 1996 in rushing. Teams went 4-8 and 5-6 respectively those two years. Everyone knew he was getting the ball. Gerald Hudson is another one. He lead the country in rushing in 1990 on a team that went 4-7, again everyone knew he was getting it. YPC for both players were good numbers too so it wasn't like it was just volume. (Official stats list some ahole from A$M as the leader in 1990 but he played an extra game so screw him.)

Joesph Randle lost his way when he left but man he was fun to watch in that Holgerson/Monken/Weeden offense.

Really surprised that Bob Fenimore isn't on more of your lists but maybe that's because no one is left who actually saw him play? :ROFLMAO:

Barry s
Thurman t
Hunter
Bell
Morency
Carson
Warren
Randle
Justice Hill
Tyreek hill
The most amazing stat in the history of college football is that Tyreek Hill had a grand total of 2 (mother eff’n TWO) (1+1=2) (1 freaking more than 1). He had 2 TDs from scrimmage in his 1 yr at OSU. 1 rushing and 1 receiving.

The most amazing stat in the history of college football is that Tyreek Hill had a grand total of 2 (mother eff’n TWO) (1+1=2) (1 freaking more than 1). He had 2 TDs from scrimmage in his 1 yr at OSU. 1 rushing and 1 receiving.
You do realize that he didn’t even know how to play the game before college?

You do realize that he didn’t even know how to play the game before college?
That wasn’t the issue. He touched the ball a grand total of 133 times from scrimmage in 12 games.

You want to argue not having him pick up blitzes I would be on board w your statement. But how hard is it to split him out and motion him for a jet sweep. Run a swing pass or wheel route or toss sweep.

He is a generational talent. There is no excuse for 11 touches per game.

That wasn’t the issue. He touched the ball a grand total of 133 times from scrimmage in 12 games.

You want to argue not having him pick up blitzes I would be on board w your statement. But how hard is it to split him out and motion him for a jet sweep. Run a swing pass or wheel route or toss sweep.

There is when he didn’t know what any of that meant. Plus we were on our third or fourth string qb. You remember Daxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx? Right?

That’s over 10 touches a game. His highest in the NFL was last year at just over 8 per game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The only coach that ever successfully stopped Tyreek was Gundy

I was always fond of Walt Garrison.

I didn't get to see him play at OSU. I'm old, but not that old.

He's always been just a super nice guy every time I've met and spoken to him.

Plus, he's a real true Cowboy...OSU, Dallas, and the ranch.

Back