Off-Season Fun: Top 10 OSU Running Backs

That wasn’t the issue. He touched the ball a grand total of 133 times from scrimmage in 12 games.

You want to argue not having him pick up blitzes I would be on board w your statement. But how hard is it to split him out and motion him for a jet sweep. Run a swing pass or wheel route or toss sweep.

He is a generational talent. There is no excuse for 11 touches per game.
He sould have touched the ball around 190 times that season.

Touches as a receiver are different than touches for a running back. Gundy mis-used Hill.
It takes a lot of creativity and courage to utilize a guy like Tyreek to their unleash their potential. Not many coaches know how or are willing to figure that out. Guys like Andy Reid and Sean Peyton can and do, and that's why they are highly paid, successful coaches at the highest level.

I'm sure Gundy could, he just continually chooses not to. He's mentioned a ton of times that "we don't really change things around here" or "we run the same plays as we did 10 years ago", etc.... Gundy likes simplicity and consistency, and thinks he can plug in coaches and players into the system and churn out 9-10 wins. He's mostly been right about that, gotten raises, etc....so he has no incentive to re-write the playbook for a guy like Tyreek.

It takes a lot of creativity and courage to utilize a guy like Tyreek to their unleash their potential. Not many coaches know how or are willing to figure that out. Guys like Andy Reid and Sean Peyton can and do, and that's why they are highly paid, successful coaches at the highest level.

I'm sure Gundy could, he just continually chooses not to. He's mentioned a ton of times that "we don't really change things around here" or "we run the same plays as we did 10 years ago", etc.... Gundy likes simplicity and consistency, and thinks he can plug in coaches and players into the system and churn out 9-10 wins. He's mostly been right about that, gotten raises, etc....so he has no incentive to re-write the playbook for a guy like Tyreek.
This was the same season we threw to James “Check Engine Light” Castleman.

The creativity was s there. Gundy is conservative by nature. I like that and I like him. Don’t ever want to see him go.

This was the same season we threw to James “Check Engine Light” Castleman.

The creativity was s there. Gundy is conservative by nature. I like that and I like him. Don’t ever want to see him go.
Was it, though? It was one time. We went all-out in a single, random moment. Kinda supports my point that Gundy can be creative, he just chooses not to the vast majority of the time. Not necessarily knocking him for it. It is what it is.

You can easily design a "Philly Special" or "Castle Man", but only the most brilliant coaches at the highest levels can design, teach, and dial up that stuff regularly as an integral part of their offense.

My main point is that most coaches or teams don't have it within them to re-design their playbook to fit a single guy, even if he is superman. That, and nobody knew how great Tyreek Hill would eventually be. That punt return in Norman was a glimpse. I'm sure he would have gotten the ball a LOT more had been here another season.

Last edited:
Was it, though? It was one time. We went all-out in a single, random moment. Kinda supports my point that Gundy can be creative, he just chooses not to the vast majority of the time. Not necessarily knocking him for it. It is what it is.

You can easily design a "Philly Special" or "Castle Man", but only the most brilliant coaches at the highest levels can design, teach, and dial up that stuff regularly as an integral part of their offense.

My main point is that most coaches or teams don't have it within them to re-design their playbook to fit a single guy, even if he is superman. That, and nobody knew how great Tyreek Hill would eventually be. That punt return in Norman was a glimpse. I'm sure he would have gotten the ball a LOT more had been here another season.
You hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph. They did design the playbook around one guy that off-season, JW Walsh. Hell, we were 6 points away from beating the defending Champs and Heisman winner in game 1. We saw what happened after that. Tough to be creative when you have a qb as limited as Dax⁹⁹.

We would have been really tough in 2015 with Rudolph, James, McClesky Ateman and Tyreek.

1. Barry
2. Thurman
3. Terry Miller
4. Tatum Bell
5. Kendall Hunter
6. Joe Randall
7. Chuba Hubbard
8. Earnest Anderson
9. Gerald Hudson
10. Walt Garrison
Would change the order a bit on the back end, but overall I like this list.

You hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph. They did design the playbook around one guy that off-season, JW Walsh. Hell, we were 6 points away from beating the defending Champs and Heisman winner in game 1. We saw what happened after that. Tough to be creative when you have a qb as limited as Dax⁹⁹.

We would have been really tough in 2015 with Rudolph, James, McClesky Ateman and Tyreek.
I don't know why nobody gets this. Look at the difference when Mason finally came in. It's not like gundy decided "nah I don't think I will give tyreek the ball today." You have to have someone capable of getting him the ball.

:poop:

What often gets lost in the scrutiny of how Tyreek was utilized (or not depending on how you feel about Gundy...) is the staff had to consider the coaches' having to somewhat accommodate the players' desires. Tyreek & Braylin Pressly are the perfect comparison. Tyreek may have crossed OSU off of his list early on if he weren't told he would play RB. The coaches may have known he would be much better utilized as a WR, but at the risk of not getting him at all?
Then you have Braylin; obviously wanted to get RB touches, got told (supposedly) he would, then didn't feel like he did. HE GONE.

tl;dr-Pick a f&%#ing lane & stick with it, cause both are there plain to see. I personally believe these are two examples of our coaches trying both sides, and losing both times cause the "criticize everything" crowd is going to just look for anything/everything without considering the whole picture.

Also, Tatum Bell should be no lower than 6th; if he were in a 2007+ offense, he would go CRAZY

I don't know why nobody gets this. Look at the difference when Mason finally came in. It's not like gundy decided "nah I don't think I will give tyreek the ball today." You have to have someone capable of getting him the ball.
Here's a breakdown of his stats from 2014.

1683215320250.png

Getting him 11 touches a game in his first season is fairly robust in my opinion. But what this really shows is that we let him be an RB for the most part, and we didn't have a scheme to get RBs tons of touches without just handing it off (which Tyreek isn't built to do 30 times a game).

In my opinion, Gundy used Hill pretty well considering his demand to be an RB, it was his first season, and we already had other playmakers. I also think that nobody really knew what Hill was or could be, because he parachuted in from nowhere. Its easy to say Gundy should have used him more having seen how he has dominated the NFL, but I think that's a bit unfair. Hill has been coached by some of the best offensive minds that the game has ever seen since he went to the NFL. Kinda unfair to compare Gundy with Andy Reid.

Back