Sunday Morning Coaches - putrid chili edition

I've lived in GA for over 50 years and grew up next door to my grandmother and had three great-aunts, all Southerners, within four miles from us. My other grandmother was from rural Alabama.

Not only have I never had chocolate gravy, I've never actually seen it.
I had red-eye gravy in Mississippi. Once.

I've lived in GA for over 50 years and grew up next door to my grandmother and had three great-aunts, all Southerners, within four miles from us. My other grandmother was from rural Alabama.

Not only have I never had chocolate gravy, I've never actually seen it.
I spent my entire childhood living right on the AL/MS state line near Mobile, and I've never heard of chocolate gravy. My neighbors all worked at the shipyard in Pascagoula and shrimped on the weekends. Nothing but dirt roads and pine trees. POC were not allowed in my neighborhood, and police didn't come down there alone. It was as backwoods, deep south as it gets.

I spent my entire childhood living right on the AL/MS state line near Mobile, and I've never heard of chocolate gravy. My neighbors all worked at the shipyard in Pascagoula and shrimped on the weekends. Nothing but dirt roads and pine trees. POC were not allowed in my neighborhood, and police didn't come down there alone. It was as backwoods, deep south as it gets.
Sorry dude, you missed out

Last edited:
Will And Grace Thumbs Up GIF by HULU

I will still order "unsweet" tea at any food establishment in oklahoma
Saves time. If you just order “tea” they will ask “sweet or unsweet” 100% of the time.

College football news has us predicted now to win out. But they also have us finishing 9-3, 7-2. Winning out would make us 10-2, 8-1. Math is hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck I'll throw my two cents on the regional thing cause my Texas buddies and I discuss it on occasion. Oklahoma is definitely in a weird crossroads, overwhelmingly southwest/south with maybe, maybe just a hint of Midwest. It's not deep south as in wasn't part of the confederacy during the Civil War, but geographically and a lot culturally its certainly southern. It's not true southwestern like the quintessential Arizona or New Mexico with deserts and mountains, but wide open rangeland and a history steeped in cowboy and native American culture fits the southwestern bill.

Following that comparison logic though, I can tell you with certainty it is NOT Midwestern to any high degree, particularly state to state comparisons. Oklahoma is far more similar culturally to southern states like Arkansas, Texas, or Louisiana than it is to Midwestern states like Wisconsin, Ohio, or Michigan.

Ultimately I think Okies are the Mutt of the U.S. that nobody can quite fully figure out but most everyone enjoys once they've met them or visited.

Paula Dean has a good recipe for it. On top of hot buttered biscuits it’s the perfect breakfast before a quail hunt
You ever done biscuits or white bread dipped in whipped butter + molasses (or syrup)? That was a staple at our house.

Also, football.

Sounds like someone needs some chocolate gravy......

(whatever the hell that is)
I have had chocolate gravy one time in Oklahoma. There used to be a little restaurant east of where the Tulsa Hard Rock is now. That chocolate gravy tasted exactly like my mom’s ( R.I.P.) chocolate pie filling so I liked it a lot. It wasn’t gravy to me.

Back