Sunday Morning Coaches - putrid chili edition

He looked good, but I'm not ready to bank my entire season on one new guy after one good game against the last place team in the conference. Plus, Leon Johnson III isn't a dominant force that we can carry the team on his back if our other hero goes down. My broader point is that I hope our staff is still working to develop schemes that can succeed when/if our hero gets neutralized somehow.
And the point to my retort is that the offense is balanced...its the whole, forking reason Ollie is getting the yardage he is...
You'll likely find a reason to disagree or be negative about what the coaches have done, but before last night the offense has been balanced with other rec'rs (Bray, Green, Shettron,etc). Last night Johnson & Johnson stepped up.

Injuries to WR:
* I didn’t know Green was injured
* Bray - knew he was injured but don’t know extent. Johnson did great covering his spot. I know Johnson was hoping to redshirt.
* Shettron - I so want him to show what he did in HS …he was dominant. Knew he got injured last game, but was hoping he would be ready to play.
Believe I read Shettron is done for the year.

He looked good, but I'm not ready to bank my entire season on one new guy after one good game against the last place team in the conference. Plus, Leon Johnson III isn't a dominant force that we can carry the team on his back if our other hero goes down. My broader point is that I hope our staff is still working to develop schemes that can succeed when/if our hero gets neutralized somehow.
Have they not proved this already?

And the point to my retort is that the offense is balanced...its the whole, forking reason Ollie is getting the yardage he is...
You'll likely find a reason to disagree or be negative about what the coaches have done, but before last night the offense has been balanced with other rec'rs (Bray, Green, Shettron,etc). Last night Johnson & Johnson stepped up.
I don’t care what he says, you’re correct. I coached football for many years and the offense is what it is due to exactly what you’re saying and what Gundy has said in the interviews. The coaching staff on both sides have done a tremendous job.
1. We’re balanced
2. We’ve simplified but become more complex. Utilizing motions and shifts, using the same run schemes up front with different looks in the back field.
3. Some better passing game concepts that go well with who we are.

O line improvement has been phenomenal. I wish Nixon had shown the ability to break some open, his stat line is pretty meager. That would sure help take some wear & tear off of Ollie. Would also really like to see some receivers make it back.

Offense: (A-)

Great OL play...601 yards...45 points...OLLIE. 2 turnovers.

Defense: B+

Gave up an explosive run for a score...but only gave up 13 points. Got 2 turnovers of their own.

Special Teams: B

Coverage units were good. 2 missed fgs.

Overall: A

Pokes were the much more physical team and dominated the 2nd half.

If you watched Collins at the end of the game he may be a nightmare if Ollie has issues. The toughness that this team is showing is kind of next level.
Yeah, Collins looked good, but by then the CareBear defense was gassed. That woodshedding we put on them in the third quarter would have gassed the Steel Curtain of the 70s. My brother, the gooner, and I were texting each other back and forth during the third and I made the comment that at some point the defense was just going to collapse completely.

Yeah, Collins looked good, but by then the CareBear defense was gassed. That woodshedding we put on them in the third quarter would have gassed the Steel Curtain of the 70s. My brother, the gooner, and I were texting each other back and forth during the third and I made the comment that at some point the defense was just going to collapse completely.
Collins runs like Ollie and has good vision. He is not as fast, or as shifty, but is patient and lets his blocks set up. Nixon should be moved to the slot IMO. That caters better to his skillset. He does not look like a P5 caliber RB.

We had some chili yesterday to celebrate the win. No cinnamon.

Now, it did have beans in it. All you “real chili doesn’t have beans” zealots can come at me now.

Collins runs like Ollie and has good vision. He is not as fast, or as shifty, but is patient and lets his blocks set up. Nixon should be moved to the slot IMO. That caters better to his skillset. He does not look like a P5 caliber RB.
He runs with a similar determination too. Nixon doesn’t. He seems more reliant on his speed. We need someone who can run hard between the tackles.

Back