Sunday Morning Coaches: Brass Plates Edition

Both me and my wife were at the Ice Bowl, last night was no Ice Bowl. However, those that braved the elements with us and stayed all the way through are dedicated.

I still think the talking blimp needs to shut his mouth about the fans leaving at halftime. It’s a turn off and unnecessary. Gundy joining in telling us we aren’t complete fans yet is equally moronic.

It’s not like that same fan base didn’t show up after USA and Iowa State. Give them props and quit crying. It was cold, wet and miserable.
Yep, it was tough trying to decide whether to stay or go. I ended up staying through the alma mater...but little voice left today and the tough part is hoping I dont get sick (for whatever reason any type of respiratory illness tends to progress to pneumonia for me). Other folks may have similar reasons for leaving...I wouldnt fault them for that. Also, saw many with under 10yr old kids both stay and leave...not gonna fault that decision (either way) either.

Don't forget in special teams--Presley botched two returns. He misplayed a short kick and had to chase it down inside the 10, and then fumbled on another but we recovered it. Special teams were an F. If we play normal in that area, we win by 10+.

On the last drive, Nardo did bring some pressure on at least two plays that I saw, we just didn't get to him. I was a little disappointed that we couldn't get more pressure on the kid through most of the night, but other than the first TD drive, the defense did its job.

Offensively we were 7-17 on third down, which is okay, but Dunn has got to find a way to convert a higher percentage on third and short. We scoed on the opening drive in the second half, and had lots of other chances to get closer in the quarter, but drives stalled out. It seems like he's guessing instead of attacking.

Our receivers were OUTSTANDING, and Dunn coaches those guys so credit to him. They made great catches, blocked well, and the holding on Johnson that killed a drive was a horrible call by the back judge--who seemed like he wanted to get some TV time in the second half.

I'm also convinced that Bray read the coverage correctly on the pick six, the corner wasn't far enough off to run a hitch, that ball would have been picked even if Bray didn't run a vertical route.

Let me add I hate the diamond formation. We haven't run it well since JW Walsh had a big day against Miss State.

But I'm thrilled and impressed that the team is 9-3 and 7-2 in league play. With the possibility of a LOT of seniors returning, the future seems to be bright, and it seemed very dark in September.

Gundy postgame quote: " (to the team) Just think where we were at the end of September. And the reason I told them that is because it's important that as we develop and train young men, there'll be things in life that don't work to their favor. And it's amazing what a group of young men and a team can accomplish if they're willing to...to ignore the outside circumstances, go to work, and grind. Just put your head down and grind. Don't worry about anything else. And listen to your coaches... because we got the best information for you. And if you're willing to do that, there's no telling what a group of young men can accomplish. And I think this is about as good of an example as ever."

This is Gundy in a nutshell to me. He teaches young men. I've talked about it before. We will move on from him at some point. I just hope the guy we hire to hopefully win the championships so many covet...doesn't omit this important aspect of a collegiate leader. This is something that should be exhibited on the sports field and in the classrooms of a university.

Both me and my wife were at the Ice Bowl, last night was no Ice Bowl. However, those that braved the elements with us and stayed all the way through are dedicated.

I still think the talking blimp needs to shut his mouth about the fans leaving at halftime. It’s a turn off and unnecessary. Gundy joining in telling us we aren’t complete fans yet is equally moronic.

It’s not like that same fan base didn’t show up after USA and Iowa State. Give them props and quit crying. It was cold, wet and miserable.
I stayed, too. But didn't blame a soul who left. That first half was complete crap and the weather was just as bad. The only problem I had was the half empty student section, but I won't start that argument.

I stayed, too. But didn't blame a soul who left. That first half was complete crap and the weather was just as bad. The only problem I had was the half empty student section, but I won't start that argument.
Students: Thanksgiving- period. There is no fall break any more. Thanksgiving is the full week and the first break for students to get out of town since Labor day. The stress is real and when they return there is one week of class, dead week, and finals. They didn't leave at any higher rate than the "adults"...they just aren't back yet.

Gundy postgame quote: " (to the team) Just think where we were at the end of September. And the reason I told them that is because it's important that as we develop and train young men, there'll be things in life that don't work to their favor. And it's amazing what a group of young men and a team can accomplish if they're willing to...to ignore the outside circumstances, go to work, and grind. Just put your head down and grind. Don't worry about anything else. And listen to your coaches... because we got the best information for you. And if you're willing to do that, there's no telling what a group of young men can accomplish. And I think this is about as good of an example as ever."

This is Gundy in a nutshell to me. He teaches young men. I've talked about it before. We will move on from him at some point. I just hope the guy we hire to hopefully win the championships so many covet...doesn't omit this important aspect of a collegiate leader. This is something that should be exhibited on the sports field and in the classrooms of a university.
But to add...and be clear: yes, listen to your coaches...except Dunn...maybe not Dunn...probably not Dunn...definitely not Dunn:rolleyes::D

I know Leon Johnson burned his RS this yr but he still gets to comeback next right?
He was in DIII when COVID happened and they didn’t do the free year. They’ve appealed to try to get him an extra year but unlikely. Hopefully NCAA will do the right thing but we’ve seen how that goes

THIS!! 1000%. Winning is very important and winning championships is as well. But there is more to it than that and Gundy gets it.

I know that Ollie gets all the hype and Bowman gets all the hate but him mentioning Owens being the leader is pretty cool. Guys like Owens are what make the difference.
I dont get the Bowman hate. He has not been perfect, but he has been exactly what we have needed and been an awesome lockeroom guy. He was also fantastic in Bedlam.

I expect good things from him next weekend and I think he will deliver.

Game changing play by a guy who’s caught some flack in Ollie’s shadow. His kick return would have been one of the best of the year if not for the bone headed illegal block.

These players fight. No idea what that moron in Southern California was talking about.

Defense: A-
Offense: B
ST: C- (like super low, 69.5)
Coaches: B+

They talked about it on the broadcast, Gundy was the epitome of calm. No one can convince me he’s not CoTY both in the conference and nationally for what he’s and his staffs have done this year.
I love how they have bounced back from 2-2, but losing by 26 @home & 46 on the road negate any notion of COY to me.

I dont get the Bowman hate. He has not been perfect, but he has been exactly what we have needed and been an awesome lockeroom guy. He was also fantastic in Bedlam.

I expect good things from him next weekend and I think he will deliver.
I'd like to see him be more efficient in the passing game (10 TDs, 11 ints) but he's gotten the job done and been a great leader. If he comes back next year, hopefully he can be more efficient.

I love how they have bounced back from 2-2, but losing by 26 @home & 46 on the road negate any notion of COY to me.
Someone Beat GIF

Back