Sunday Morning Coaches: The Final Bedlam Edition

RxCowboy

Ranger
Patreon Supporter
We know
They know
The whole world knows

I said last week, they acted like they had won the national championship and the season was over after beating Tejas.

But the season wasn't over.

We know.
They know.
The whole world knows.

Our season isn't over either.

But Bedlam is.

well bye.jpg

I'm writing this about an hour after the game and I'm still buzzing. I don't know if I can actually remember any of it right now. I usually get up on Sunday morning and write, but I have to be at church early tomorrow (today) and won't have time. So, I'm writing Saturday evening.

Honest go goodness, I don't know how to grade the game. Maybe it should just be graded on the whole, I don't know.

Offense: A-
Once again, we scored on the opening drive. This is becoming a statement for our offense. It's almost to the point where I'd prefer we get the ball first. That opening drive touchdown sets a tone.

8 plays, 97 yards, almost 5 minutes off the clock for the drive that put us ahead for good. That is A+ work. Gabriel might be the better passer, but Bowman was a field general on that drive in a way Gabriel will never be.

Haven't looked at the stats yet, and probably won't. Doesn't matter. I graded down a little because of a couple of questionable play calls, the two fourth and shorts in the second half and the failed double pass. I wouldn't have gone for it on either fourth and short, I would have kicked the field goal on the first one and and taken a delay of game and punted on the second. The double pass would have been spectacular had it worked. If Ollie had taken off and ran he likely would have picked up big yardage because the defense was otherwise scattered. But it resulted in a turnover.

Otherwise, the offense was solid the entire game.

Defense: A
We gave up one gargantuan play, the long run that resulted in their first score. We let them out of several third and longs. Otherwise, we pretty much kept them in front of us. Yes, that ball in the end zone was probably PI, but then again, their defense was holding on every other play, so it all balances out. But, once again, our defense came up big with stops on fourth down, and came up big time and again with stops in the fourth quarter.

Really, both offense and defense made just enough plays to win. When we needed the offense to drive the length of the field and score, they did. When we needed the defense to come up big in the 4th quarter, they did. This was on them both. A true team win.

Special teams: A
Our special teams were simply better than theirs.

Coaching: A
Our coaches were simply better than theirs.

Fans: A+
The Boone was ROCKING! It was a sea of ORANGE! It was LOUD and ROWDY! There were a couple of plays were the fans just straight up affected the play. I was listening to the radio broadcast and the atmosphere was coming across the radio. Well done fans! Man, I wish I could have been there!

The win leaves us tied with Tejas for first place in the conference, pending the outcome of the Kansas/Iowa State game tonight. I say again, I would play Iowa State again right now on any field. With Houston, UCF, and BYU a collective 2-16 in conference play ahead of us, we control our own destiny. To think that we could possibly be at this place at this point in the season after that miserable game against South Alabama, well, it was unthinkable. We take care of business the rest of the way and 10-2 and the conference championship game is waiting for us.

Ride with Pride! Go Pokes!

We know
They know
The whole world knows

I said last week, they acted like they had won the national championship and the season was over after beating Tejas.

But the season wasn't over.

We know.
They know.
The whole world knows.

Our season isn't over either.

But Bedlam is.

View attachment 2138

I'm writing this about an hour after the game and I'm still buzzing. I don't know if I can actually remember any of it right now. I usually get up on Sunday morning and write, but I have to be at church early tomorrow (today) and won't have time. So, I'm writing Saturday evening.

Honest go goodness, I don't know how to grade the game. Maybe it should just be graded on the whole, I don't know.

Offense: A-
Once again, we scored on the opening drive. This is becoming a statement for our offense. It's almost to the point where I'd prefer we get the ball first. That opening drive touchdown sets a tone.

8 plays, 97 yards, almost 5 minutes off the clock for the drive that put us ahead for good. That is A+ work. Gabriel might be the better passer, but Bowman was a field general on that drive in a way Gabriel will never be.

Haven't looked at the stats yet, and probably won't. Doesn't matter. I graded down a little because of a couple of questionable play calls, the two fourth and shorts in the second half and the failed double pass. I wouldn't have gone for it on either fourth and short, I would have kicked the field goal on the first one and and taken a delay of game and punted on the second. The double pass would have been spectacular had it worked. If Ollie had taken off and ran he likely would have picked up big yardage because the defense was otherwise scattered. But it resulted in a turnover.

Otherwise, the offense was solid the entire game.

Defense: A
We gave up one gargantuan play, the long run that resulted in their first score. We let them out of several third and longs. Otherwise, we pretty much kept them in front of us. Yes, that ball in the end zone was probably PI, but then again, their defense was holding on every other play, so it all balances out. But, once again, our defense came up big with stops on fourth down, and came up big time and again with stops in the fourth quarter.

Really, both offense and defense made just enough plays to win. When we needed the offense to drive the length of the field and score, they did. When we needed the defense to come up big in the 4th quarter, they did. This was on them both. A true team win.

Special teams: A
Our special teams were simply better than theirs.

Coaching: A
Our coaches were simply better than theirs.

Fans: A+
The Boone was ROCKING! It was a sea of ORANGE! It was LOUD and ROWDY! There were a couple of plays were the fans just straight up affected the play. I was listening to the radio broadcast and the atmosphere was coming across the radio. Well done fans! Man, I wish I could have been there!

The win leaves us tied with Tejas for first place in the conference, pending the outcome of the Kansas/Iowa State game tonight. I say again, I would play Iowa State again right now on any field. With Houston, UCF, and BYU a collective 2-16 in conference play ahead of us, we control our own destiny. To think that we could possibly be at this place at this point in the season after that miserable game against South Alabama, well, it was unthinkable. We take care of business the rest of the way and 10-2 and the conference championship game is waiting for us.

Ride with Pride! Go Pokes!
I wouldn’t argue with one bit of that. What an absolutely fantastic win!

I said before the game that our coaching staff’s culture gave us an advantage bc venebles can’t keep it in check. This is 2 weeks in a row that he has picked up a dead ball 15 yard unsportsmanlike on top of a live ball 15 yard penalty on the game winning score. Gundy and staff simply > Venebles and staff on in game management. Also can someone/anyone make their S&C coach act like a grown ass man and quit chirping at opposing players in game?

I also have wondered all week if the new era transfer portal would impact the attitudes of players in this game. Bowman, Josiah, Leon, Goodlow none of them have grown up in the shadow of uo. None of them had to deal w uo in recruiting. None of them ever gone against uo for us before. There was no bedlam baggage or squinty for them.

BPS was unbelievable. The pregame crowd was as loud as I’ve ever heard it. The energy continued. The bad snap that we recovered in the 2nd half and led to the 3 pt difference was a direct result of the noise.

And finally if any uo family members or friends want to talk about the missed PI in the endzone

1) uo held our receivers/TE all night
2) Now that you’re on our end of bedlam how’s it feel bitches?

Last edited:
I said before the game that our coaching staff’s culture gave us an advantage bc venebles can’t keep it in check. This is 2 weeks in a row that he has picked up a dead ball 15 yard unsportsmanlike on top of a live ball 15 yard penalty on the game winning score. Gundy and staff simply > Venebles and staff on in game management. Also can someone/anyone make their S&C coach act like a grown ass man and quit chirping at opposing players in game?

I also have wondered all week if the new era transfer portal would impact the attitudes of players in this game. Bowman, Josiah, Leon, Goodlow none of them have grown up in the shadow of uo. None of them had to deal w uo in recruiting. None of them ever got latex uo for us before. There was no bedlam baggage or squinty for them.

BPS was unbelievable. The pregame crowd was as loud as I’ve ever heard it. The energy continued. The bad snap that we recovered in the 2nd half and led to the 3 pt difference was a direct result of the noise.

And finally if any uo family members or friends want to talk about the missed PI in the endzone

1) uo held our receivers/TE all night
2) Now that you’re on our end of bedlam how’s it feel bitches?
as to that call, it was cowboy magic.

after being screwed in so many bedlam games throughout the years, its sweet to get that call back and win the last one!

Looks like my superstition theory in the game thread rings true, bedlam victories come the years my kids are born (2021 and 2023). I'm glad the match-up is done for a while cause I'm exhausted enough no way I'm having more every year just for footballs sake!
No, no... if we play them again in the future you have to do your duty...

Looks like my superstition theory in the game thread rings true, bedlam victories come the years my kids are born (2021 and 2023). I'm glad the match-up is done for a while cause I'm exhausted enough no way I'm having more every year just for footballs sake!
Be a team player man, c’mon

Big 12 standings and conference record

1. Texas 5-1
1. Oklahoma State 5-1
3. Kansas 4-2 - won
3. Oklahoma 4-2 - won
3. Kansas State 4-2 - won
3. Iowa State 4-2 - loss, but I would play them again on any field, we are a different team
7. West Virginia 3-2 - won
8. Texas Tech 3-3
8. Baylor 3-3
10. BYU 2-3 - left to play
11. TCU 2-4
11. UCF 1-5 - left to play
13. Houston 1-5 - left to play
14. Cincinnati 0-6 - won

Our remaining opponents are a combined 4-13 in conference play (I added wrong earlier). We have work ahead of us, we can't take anything for granted. But we control our own destiny and 10-2 and the conference championship game is within reach.

I think it's only just now starting to sink in...we just won the last known Bedlam

Not to make this out to be some life-altering deal, there's far far bigger things to life than football. But still, our entire lives supporting OSU have been marred by the fact that they owned us in football. And hey, they still historically do, but we got the last laugh. That weight has been lifted and I'm sure yall feel it just like I do. All credit to Gundy and company who have rightly been chastised to this point, yall nutted up and got it done, gave us not just the moral high ground to stand on against those c@cksuckers, but the scoreboard too.

DAMN is it a good day to be a Poke.

Animated GIF

I have my reply ready for if when any OU fans want to toss around that PI no call (it WAS 100% PI and IDC if they choke on it!!! LOL MFers)

4th & 5 with plenty of time left for them to tie/win the game & they threw it 2-3 yards…BY DESIGN! Get bent bawlbags!

WR: A+. Owens, Presley, and Johnson made great catches.

RB: A. Our running back is better than yours.

Their DE: A+. It was brilliant and sneaky plan conducted by Gundy and Trace Ford to have Ford transfer to OU then play like absolute crap against us. Game ball to Ford for helping us win the game.

I have my reply ready for if when any OU fans want to toss around that PI no call (it WAS 100% PI and IDC if they choke on it!!! LOL MFers)

4th & 5 with plenty of time left for them to tie/win the game & they threw it 2-3 yards…BY DESIGN! Get bent bawlbags!
Yes, it was PI. But there was also a play where one of our players got hit 3 yards out of bounds right in front of the ref and nothing was called. Their corners were literally mugging our receivers all night long and nothing was called. It all evens out.

But it comes down to this... 8 plays, 97 yards, 4 minutes and 43 seconds. All they had to do was keep us from going 8 plays, 97 yards in 4 minutes and 43 seconds and they probably win the game. If their coach doesn't lose his s**t and is 20 yards on the field screaming at a ref and get an unsportsmanlike conduct call resulting in a, checks the stat sheet, 15 yard penalty tacked onto the 15 yard PI penalty for 30 yards of penalties on a single play... for the second time in 3 weeks... then chances are we might not go 8 plays, 97 yards in 4 minutes and 43 seconds. But he did. And we did. Ball game.

Now someone call the wahmbulance... sooner tears are salty but they sure taste sweet...
Sooners girl crying.jpg

WR: A+. Owens, Presley, and Johnson made great catches.

RB: A. Our running back is better than yours.

Their DE: A+. It was brilliant and sneaky plan conducted by Gundy and Trace Ford to have Ford transfer to OU then play like absolute crap against us. Game ball to Ford for helping us win the game.
In the past 4 Bedlam games:

OSU is 2 and 2
OU is 2 and 2
Trace Ford is 1 and 3

Back