Sunday (Saturday) Morning Coaches: Konza Prairie edition

Offense was a solid B+, Ollie Gordon was AAA+, Bowman was very good. We saw great line improvement.

Defense was past solid, A-. The Nard Dawg is learning quickly. The fourth down snap that went terribly wrong for K-State was the result of a “what the hell are they bringing to stop us?” moment. The linebackers and d-backs had a really good game.

Special Teams are getting better and better. The block was an anomaly, and the long field goal balanced that out.

Coaching was much improved. It’s hard to make that much change, but they coached them up well.

Since the coaches are obviously cruising Ride ‘Em for coaching aids maybe the video board people will get a few clues. We need to up our game here, we haven’t really had anything original since we put up all the fake goal posts during the whorns game a few years ago. Bring back Hypno Toad, the red headed kid from Bohemian Rhapsody last night shows great promise (that dude has Gary Bussey level game and he knows it), maybe a detached Lincoln Riley head during the goon game, a plucked Jayhawks for this week. Come on boys we can do this!

Defense: A

Two weeks ago we lost a lot of faith in the defense giving up 33 to USA and 34 to ISU. Pokes lined up against the best Offense they've seen so far and held them well under their average (39,5 ppg) and forced 3 Turnovers. The O looked more fluid...but the D kept this one from slipping away.

Offense: B

This might've been the best game Dunn has called that I can remember. Running up the middle against the KSU defense numerous times wasn't great...but much more creativity. Lets hope that trend continues. The redzone Offense has to improve. The positive is OSU got points in 5/6 attempts.

Blackout: A+

A blacked out crowd...unis...and sky in Stillwater made for a great atmosphere that helped lead to an upset of the defending Big 12 champs.

Lets hope the momentum keep going against Kansas!

Bowman was better. He was still a ways from very good. But better is encouraging. We will need him to play better yet next week, because Kansas is playing really well.
I finally got to watch the dvr and there were 3 drops and 1 (2nd half slant to Bray that I’m not sure what happened) that would have led to another 60+ yards and a score (although Owens was being held or DPI).

He threw one away in the 4th where Owens was open in the back corner. Maybe he just felt like he couldn’t fit it in and why risk when you’ve got the 3.

Also in the 4th 80 was open on the north sideline between the corner and safety for a 15-20 yd gain and he sailed it 20 yds out of bounds.

Again I’m an overweight old guy so it’s easy for me to complain.

I hope what we will see is that he will continue to get better as he shakes off 2 yrs of not playing in games. Makes the decision that he’s your guy but not giving him 80% of 1st 3 games more puzzling.

If he plays like that and our line plays like they did we can still win 4 or more games.

I finally got to watch the dvr and there were 3 drops and 1 (2nd half slant to Bray that I’m not sure what happened) that would have led to another 60+ yards and a score (although Owens was being held or DPI).

He threw one away in the 4th where Owens was open in the back corner. Maybe he just felt like he couldn’t fit it in and why risk when you’ve got the 3.

Also in the 4th 80 was open on the north sideline between the corner and safety for a 15-20 yd gain and he sailed it 20 yds out of bounds.

Again I’m an overweight old guy so it’s easy for me to complain.

I hope what we will see is that he will continue to get better as he shakes off 2 yrs of not playing in games. Makes the decision that he’s your guy but not giving him 80% of 1st 3 games more puzzling.

If he plays like that and our line plays like they did we can still win 4 or more games.
The three-headed rotation QB was, um, strange. The old pearl, if you have two quarterbacks you don't have a quarterback is still true, and if you have three it's even worse. I have never seen that before and hope to never see it again. As for "shaking off rust", that is what camp is for. If there is so much rust that you need games to shake it off then the body has probably rusted off the frame and is beyond repair. The drops are excuses. Gee, I'd like it if every receiver caught every ball every OSU quarterback ever threw that was in the least bit catchable, but that just doesn't happen. Sometimes receivers drop catchable balls. It happened to the other two QBs, too. I think a lot of the improvement that we saw Friday night was play calling (note, the first two words of that sentence, they are important). I hope we see more of that creative, inventive play calling this Saturday. If we do then we stand a pretty good chance against Kansas.

Looking at #23 ranked Kansas, they've beaten:
Mo State who is 0-2 in the Missouri Valley Conference
Illinois 2-4 and 0-3 in the Big 10 including losing to Nebraska and Purdue who are awful.
Nevada who is 0-5
BYU who is 4-1 but who's best win is 2-4, 0-3 Arkansas
UCF 3-3, 0-3 who has beaten Villanova and Kent State

So, while Kansas is showing some "swagger" they haven't exactly earned it. They've played one really good team and got their d**ks knocked in the dirt (though it would have been hilarious had they beaten Texass). Kansas is beatable. They run the ball, and we have to be better against the run than we have been. We have to play mistake free offense, which we pretty much did Friday night. Limited penalties, no costly turnovers. I think the team we beat Friday is better than Kansas. if we can duplicate the performance and maybe improve the red zone offense a little (please, for goodness sakes, no three line plunges in a row) we'll beat them too.

Back