Sunday (Saturday) Morning Coaches: Konza Prairie edition

RxCowboy

Ranger
Patreon Supporter
I swore I wasn't going to do this... but here it is.

The last three games...

An abomination.

Improvement, but disappointing.

What team was this I was watching?

Especially in the first half, the team played with some fire and determination that we simply haven't seen all season.

Offense: B+
Really, the offense could be graded in the two halves, with the first half grading higher in the second half, and most of that based on the play calling.

I'll address the play calling first. Did aliens steal Dunn's brain and replace it with someone else? Abbie somebody? Abbie Normal? Was Gundy calling the plays in the first half? It was NOT the same offense we've seen the past couple of years. Well, except the second series, the three and out, that looked familiar. Line plunge for four yards. Throw it 25 yards needlessly down field on 2nd and 6, incomplete, and then line plunge on 3rd and 6 for no gain. That's classic Dunn play calling. But the rest of the half was creative, inventive, got the ball out of Bowman's hands quickly, kept the defense off balance, and kept the chains moving. Damn good offensive play calling and I'd like to see more of it, whoever was doing it.

Red zone offense still needs to improve. Three straight line plunges on goal to go drives me nuts. There's a reason why every single NFL team runs play action passes in goal to go situations... because it works. The linebackers and safeties have to respect the play action, which means the tight end or fullback is almost always open. Or, if we're going to run, that I-formation counter pitch we ran at Arizona was beautiful. Again, with the fullback hitting the middle that draws the linebackers in. If we improve our red zone offense just a little last night that game is a blow out.

Bowman was better. 19 of 35, 235, 0 and 0, QB rating 110.686 still isn't great, but it's better. His tendencies to flush when he doesn't need to and throw off his back foot when he doesn't need to and give up sacks when he doesn't need to, all of that has been worked on and improved. And play calling, getting the ball out of his hand quicker helped him too.

The run game was clicking when we were running outside the B gap. A gap we would lose a yard or two. I know we have to run A gap once in a while to keep the defense honest, but, please, coaches, when we actually need the yards, figure this out. We gain yards on the edges and lose yards inside. We were especially gaining yards on our left side. We had something going there.

Defense: A
What the Nardo is going on out there? We hadn't had a defensive score in 25 games. I'm not sure when the last time we forced three turnovers was. We *desperately* needed that defensive performance and our young defense came through. There was obviously a metric ton of preparation that happened in the off week and it showed, big time. And Cam Epps! Wow, buddy! I would buy you a Snickers this morning if I could! Every... single... time... we needed a play on defense, we got one.

Yes, okay, they made some adjustments at halftime and moved the ball and scored a little bit. They are still a very good team. And yes, in the second half we had some guys get blocked and we had a few players that were out of position and they ran through some arm tackles. Okay, we're still a young defense with a bunch of new players. But, still... every... single... time... we needed a play on defense, we got one.

Nicklas Martin, you get a Snickers AND a Venti Latte.

Special teams: A-
The only reason this isn't a solid A is because we let one guy come through untouched to block a field goal. Alex Hale has turned from a reliable kicker into a weapon. To put it simply, our special teams were better than theirs, and that is something considering it was K-State and their special teams are usually top notch.

Coaching: FIRE GUNDY!
Seriously, stop it. There has been a lot of coaching going on the past two weeks and it showed last night. We have a good coach. We have a string of bowl games and winning seasons that is unprecedented in our history, and our history hasn't been good exactly. Sure, the season could still tank. But last night showed what good coaches can do. Let's get behind our team and coaches because last night gave us hope. Ride with Pride! Go Pokes! Loyal and True!

Last edited:
Good stuff RX!

I thought Owens did a good job stepping in for Stribling. Had the big drop but looked really good otherwise.

Pumped for Nardo. He's growing up right before our eyes and doing it quicker than Knowles or Mason. Can't wait to see what the future of our D is with him.
Nardo has definitely done some coaching in the past two weeks. The difference between our last home game and last night... wow... just wow...

I thought I would look at the defensive statistics of our last two home games to see where the differences were. Here are the stats:

USA
Rushing
Total (net): 243
Attempts: 47
Avg per rush: 5.2
Rushing TDs: 2
Yards gained: 268
Yds lost: 25

KSU
Rushing
Total (net): 220
Attempts: 38
Avg per rush: 5.8
Rushing TDs: 2
Yards gained: 252
Yds lost: 32

We were not significantly better against the run, though much of that against K-State came in the second half. We were much better against the run last night in the first half, which made a big difference.

USA
Passing
Total (net): 152
Comp-Att-Int: 10-16-0
Avg/Att: 9.5
Avg/Comp: 15.2
TDs: 2

KSU
Passing
Total (net): 152
Comp-Att-Int: 15-34-3
Avg/Att: 4.5
Avg/Comp: 10.1
TDs: 1

This is where the difference was. South Alabama was very efficient in their passing game against us. As I recall, particularly on third down. Their receivers were open when they needed them to be. Our coverage last night was significantly better, and it showed up in the passing statistics.

QB ratings:
USA: 183.5
KSU: 73.7

That is a huge difference in QB efficiency. After looking at this, I'd buy Nardo breakfast at Shortcakes this morning. Full stack and two orders of bacon.

While looking at statistics of our last two home games... offense...

USA third down: 4 of 15
KSU third down: 6 of 18

We still need to improve third down efficiency, but...

USA first downs: 14
USA time of possession: 25:20
KSU first downs: 20
KSU time of possession: 34:42

We did a much better job of keeping our defense off the field. We won both the 1st downs and the TOP battles. It showed in the fourth quarter.

Lot of ‘where has this been?’ Posts last night.

offense: very solid B. Score TDs instead of FG’s and it’s an A+++ and we’d have blown them out. Still some serious play call head scratchers at certain moments in the game, but it was certainly an improvement and welcome sight over what we’ve been seeing for the last year. Would love to see us be able to get one yard when we need it and be confident that we’re going to get it. But other than that, even upfront, they played well Enough to get the job done.

defense: A-. They were averaging over 40 points a game and drubbed us last year. Giving up 21 and seven of that coming on one long busted play where we took correctable bad angles. After southern Alabama and Iowa State, you can’t say anything other than a minus at least.

ST: A. gave up the block but successfully executed a fake punt for the first time in record memory. Alex Hale.

coaching for last night: have to give them an A. Coming off what happened last year and two losses to really bad football teams this year, they had the guys ready to go and absolutely showed some different things. Our guys actually looked like they belong on the field with the defending big 12 champions. We didn’t look slow, confused, or boring, most of the game.

That said, the grade is vastly different, considering the dumbassery the quarterback position the first three games of the year. This is a different team if Bowman (or any singular player) has all of the number one reps throughout the summer and the season. Add to it you waited almost 4 games to figure out who your best left tackle was and most of us knew it when he arrived on campus. It’s things like that that make fans scratch their heads more.

fans; A+

Uniforms: A. Posted in the game thread that I think we should incorporate more black in our home game setups. It is actually one of our primary colors as opposed to the schools that like to wear green, gold, yellow, red, silver, scarlet, etc. and try to do the all black look. It actually looks right when we do it. And that’s coming from a guy who is all orange all the time most days.

edit: the last 3 xii champs have all lost to OSU the following season.

edir edit: I could watch Ollie Gordon stiff arm that dude into the ground all day. Was it the same guy both times? If so, I quit the team this morning if Im him.

Last edited:
D still had some blown assignments that led to chunk plays, but definitely were the difference in the game when it mattered most.
The FG block can't happen. Can't let ANYBODY through to the inside. I imagine that will be an easy fix.
Didn't really like the play on the 4th & short just because we had gotten ZERO push on anything all night, but I will give credit that they at least tried something creative there?

REALLY glad to put up a W
WRs looked very much like they were playing as if their jobs were on the line. Dudes were all running angry after the catch.

Red zone offense needs to improve, but that’s part of the problem with slants and hitches. Once the field is compressed it’s easier to defend. Sanders run/pass option and the zone read really helped us in years past

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Red zone offense needs to improve, but that’s part of the problem with slants and hitches. Once the field is compressed it’s easier to defend. Sanders run/pass option and the zone read really helped us in years past

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
This is why you have to involve your tight ends/fullbacks/running backs in the passing game. It's easy for the defense when they know we're only throwing to the wide receivers, and those receivers are stuck running the same predictable routes.

Lot of ‘where has this been?’ Posts last night.

offense: very solid B. Score TDs instead of FG’s and it’s an A+++ and we’d have blown them out. Still some serious play call head scratchers at certain moments in the game, but it was certainly an improvement and welcome sight over what we’ve been seeing for the last year. Would love to see us be able to get one yard when we need it and be confident that we’re going to get it. But other than that, even upfront, they played well Enough to get the job done.

defense: A-. They were averaging over 40 points a game and drubbed us last year. Giving up 21 and seven of that coming on one long busted play where we took correctable bad angles. After southern Alabama and Iowa State, you can’t say anything other than a minus at least.

ST: A. gave up the block but successfully executed a fake punt for the first time in record memory. Alex Hale.

coaching for last night: have to give them an A. Coming off what happened last year and two losses to really bad football teams this year, they had the guys ready to go and absolutely showed some different things. Our guys actually looked like they belong on the field with the defending big 12 champions. We didn’t look slow, confused, or boring, most of the game.

That said, the grade is vastly different, considering the dumbassery the quarterback position the first three games of the year. This is a different team if Bowman (or any singular player) has all of the number one reps throughout the summer and the season. Add to it you waited almost 4 games to figure out who your best left tackle was and most of us knew it when he arrived on campus. It’s things like that that make fans scratch their heads more.

fans; A+

Uniforms: A. Posted in the game thread that I think we should incorporate more black in our home game setups. It is actually one of our primary colors as opposed to the schools that like to wear green, gold, yellow, red, silver, scarlet, etc. and try to do the all black look. It actually looks right when we do it. And that’s coming from a guy who is all orange all the time most days.

edit: the last 3 xii champs have all lost to OSU the following season.

edir edit: I could watch Ollie Gordon stiff arm that dude into the ground all day. Was it the same guy both times? If so, I quit the team this morning if Im him.

Your point about black uniforms is one I’ve made before. It’s part of our color scheme. It’s weak when teams do it and it isn’t part of their color scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was at the game and it was electric! Great atmosphere. Ollie was an absolute stud all night. Physical but nimble. KState had no answer for him.

Receivers looked so much better. Do not thin’ it was a coincidence the entire receiving corps looked better when the coaches schemed to move Presley all over the field pre-snap. Great job by the coaching staff there.

My only complaint is keeping the 3 down line concept on defense in the red zone. I would love to see more four down line inside the red zone. KState really used that to their advantage in the 3rd and 4th quarter last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My thoughts on the big OSU win over K-State given in the latest O-State Daily Highlight Show that just dropped. Lots of video and analysis, breaking down the game and the biggest moments.

Link

Last edited:
I appreciated the play calling the first half of the game. There was some sloppiness in the execution, but that’s to be expected how we played the first 4 games. This game makes me super frustrated with the decision to rotate QBs for 3 games. It cost us at least 1 loss. Whichever QB the coaching staff decided to go with would’ve had 3x the reps with the starting offense to meld into a cohesive unit. I’m hoping that’s what we saw Friday and not a mirage because K-State didn’t show up to play. I also appreciate we setup plays that suit to Bowman’s strengths for the most part. He’s not a runner, but athletic enough to steal a 1st down once in a blue moon. Slant routes assist with his throwing style and is also what he’s used to from his Tech days.

Outside of a couple blown reads and coverages the defense played awesome. Feeling better about next year’s Defense if we can keep these youngsters around.

Hope is alive for keeping our winning season streak going. Before Friday I wasn’t expecting us to win 2 more games. If we can find a way to beat Kansas next week I’ll feel better about our chances. That sentence sounds insane if I said it 3 years ago…

OLine gave up 0 sacks and had 0 holds. I also don’t remember any whiffs where there was a straight line to Bowman. Props to those young men!

After the last 10 yrs going back to Rudolph it’s hard to get used to a QB who doesn’t throw 50/50 balls and is as risk adverse as Bowman is. Not saying it’s bad. Just different.

I thought play calling and use of motion were improved but we seem to lack something in short yardage and I wish we would push to the sticks on routes and passes. We get in too many 2nd and 2-3 or 3rd and 1. Or we pick up 6 on 3rd when we need 8.

I also didn’t understand why we had our “run stop” DL In on obvious passing downs.

Overall last night was fun and good to see the team come out the way they did.

Ollie is gaining steam for one of my all time favorites. Potential is definitely there.

Back