Sunday Morning Coaches: Brass Plates Edition

RxCowboy

Ranger
Patreon Supporter
My second t-ball team was tied for first place going into the last Saturday of the season. We had two games that day, one that morning with the team in last place and one that afternoon with the team we were tied with. The game that morning we played like crap the first two innings and were behind. I called my team together and challenged them to play better. Over the next two innings they only gave up 2 runs, which is pretty much unheard of in t-ball. But still, in the bottom of the 4th we were behind and we needed a home run in order to win. My son walked to the plate. He was a right hander, but I thought him to hit from the left. I told him I needed a ball over the right field fence. He said, "Okay dad." BOOM! Game over. That's what yesterday's game reminded me of, that t-ball game. It was my team's best and worst game of the season, and when I needed someone to hit a home run I had a big stick that I knew I could count on walk to the plate. My son.

BTW, in the second game there was a rain delay and we didn't start until almost 9 pm. We were tied after 4 innings. The other coach asked me if I wanted to go into extra innings, but I conceded, my kids were exhausted because we had played a game earlier in the day (the other team hadn't). My team would have ran through brick walls for me, they would have kept playing. But we had proven our point. I shook his hand. It was, after all, only t-ball.

5 touchdowns, tying a record held by none other than Barry Sanders. A third helmet sticker from College Football Final. Ollie effing Gordon II. The Big Stick. Maybe that's what we should call him from now on. The Big Stick. Talk softly and carry The Big Stick.

It was ugly. But I've said many times in this forum, good teams win ugly games and we found a way to win. I am so proud of this team right now. I could hardly sleep last night, a good could hardly sleep, I couldn't wait to get up this morning and write this.

I am so proud of our coaches. At one point this season looked like it was lost, like it was over. It looked like the string of consecutive winning seasons and bowl appearances was done. But a lot of coaching has happened and what an incredible turn around from 2-2 September to the Big 12 championship game.

The crowd was small yesterday, but what they lacked in size they made up for in volume.

The Cowboys under Mike Gundy have now come from 3 scores down to win 9 times. I'm not sure there are 9 other such wins in the entire history of Cowboys football.

Offense: B-
We shot ourselves in the foot constantly with the kind of mistakes that we didn't make during the win streak. Drive killing penalties, the pick-6, not finishing drives and settling for field goals inside the red zone. We amassed 503 yards on 88 offensive plays, 28 first downs, held the ball for 34:30, went 7 for 17 on third down (still needs to be better). We held the ball and kept it away from them. We also reverted back to form somewhat flinging the ball downfield 35 yards when what we needed to do was move the chains.

On the failed two-point conversion, I like the pass to the tight-end. I like it better if it is off of play-action because that forces the safety to commit to the run instead of covering the tight end. I like it even better if the pass to the tight end is in the end zone and not on the four yard line. Then if he's tackled right away we still score.

But Ollie effing Gordon II, The Big Stick. When we absolutely needed it, the offense came up with the big plays that we needed to win. That final drive, I had no doubt we were going to score and take the lead. It was going to happen. And Ollie effing Gordon was going to score the touchdown. Did y'all hear me screaming from up here in Michigan?

Defense: B+
Our defense gave up 20 points in regulation. We throttled them in the second half until that final drive. We gave up only 22 yards in the third quarter. We held them to 5-15 on third down and only 327 total yards on 69 plays, and that's pretty salty. And when we absolutely needed it, our defense came up with THE big play.

The last drive... if we're going to drop back into an umbrella defense then why still rush four? Why not rush three and drop the fourth man back into the underneath zone, especially since they were throwing underneath? We had bottled them up the entire second half by bringing pressure... why not continue to bring pressure? Instead we give up the one scoring drive of the second half.

Special teams: C-
This game almost turned on two special teams plays, and almost three: the blocked extra point, the fake punt, and the onside kick. The fake punt led to a field goal which made the margin 3 points after the blocked extra point. Otherwise the margin is 6 points and they need a touchdown to tie or take the lead. Make the extra point and they need a touchdown with 00:53 seconds left and it isn't likely. The onside kick ended up being illegal by the narrowest of margins. It's like we were asleep in special teams all day.

Coaching: B
The decision to take the kickoff after winning the coin toss goes against conventional wisdom. If you win the coin toss you want to defer to the second half, always. The weather affected play some. Defensive adjustments at halftime were excellent... except for that last drive. Offense, again, we moved the ball plenty and obviously, we scored enough after halftime to make up the deficit and win the game, so we adjusted well after halftime.

We've had slow starts the past three weeks against inferior teams. We've overcome the slow starts against Houston and BYU. We can't afford a slow start next week against Tejas. They are really good.

On to the Big 12 championship game for the second time in three years! Ride with Pride! Go Pokes!

Game changing play by a guy who’s caught some flack in Ollie’s shadow. His kick return would have been one of the best of the year if not for the bone headed illegal block.

These players fight. No idea what that moron in Southern California was talking about.

Defense: A-
Offense: B
ST: C- (like super low, 69.5)
Coaches: B+

They talked about it on the broadcast, Gundy was the epitome of calm. No one can convince me he’s not CoTY both in the conference and nationally for what he’s and his staffs have done this year.

Game changing play by a guy who’s caught some flack in Ollie’s shadow. His kick return would have been one of the best of the year if not for the bone headed illegal block.

These players fight. No idea what that moron in Southern California was talking about.

Defense: A-
Offense: B
ST: C- (like super low, 69.5)
Coaches: B+

They talked about it on the broadcast, Gundy was the epitome of calm. No one can convince me he’s not CoTY both in the conference and nationally for what he’s and his staffs have done this year.
I like that he squared up and ran the guy over for the first down.

This team is jeykell and hyde. There was a lot to not like, and a lot to like. I give the offense, defense and coaching an A+, for kicking ou out of the championship game.
Now we had better put on our big boy pants, and actually play at championship level for a full game, or it could get ugly fast.

It’s rare that special teams has been our weakness this year. Honestly I think they deserve an F. That extra point dang near lost us the game. Really inexcusable. They were not ready for the onside kick, they were not ready for the fake punt. Really really sloppy and almost devastating performance by them.

Honestly in the first half one team looked willing do anything for a win and the other looked hungover and not ready to play. Then we went to halftime

• Rashod Owen’s gave an impassioned speech in the locker room.
  • Ollie Gordon put the team on his back and flat out willed himself into the end zone 3 different times.
  • Jaden Nixon trucks a guy for a critical first down
  • Leon Johnson makes several key catches
  • Bowman shakes off the first half and deals in the 2nd.
Then on the defensive side of the ball….Man what is up with Nardo and his second half adjustments? It’s incredible really. My favorite all time Defenses at OSU were the 21’ D and the 11’ D…but this yrs squad is pretty great too. I don’t know if we have guys that you could call super stars but Xavier Benson, Colin Oliver, Nick Martin…these dudes are tough and scrappy and I’ll take them any day of the week. Several times this yr we’ve needed the D to make a play and win us the game. Again yesterday they did when Trey Rucker stripped the ball and ended the game.

This team isn’t as talented as some previous squads we have had, but dammit they’ve got guts and heart.

Honestly, I really like our chances next week. Sure UT is a blue blood with 4 and 5 star guys up and down the roster…we are sort of a rag tag mish mash of portal transfers and 2-3 star guys…but when has that not been the case when we played against Texas? 5 of the last 7 times we played them we’ve cleaned their clocks. We’ve got nothing to lose…I think we shock the world!

This team is jeykell and hyde. There was a lot to not like, and a lot to like. I give the offense, defense and coaching an A+, for kicking ou out of the championship game.
Now we had better put on our big boy pants, and actually play at championship level for a full game, or it could get ugly fast.
No doubt Texas will want the style points win as a one loss team trying to make the final four.

10 Big-time plays and call-outs:
1) Nixon‘s catch and big-boy run thru defender on 4th down
2) Owens’s slip and nearly fall on the cut.. but then somehow jump up and catch (which would have been an interception) in 4th quarter. Not sure if TV watchers could see that. But it was bigtime. I groaned after Bowman threw it because I thought it was going to be picked. Heard Robert Allen mention that play twice on postgame radio.
3) Josiah Johnson catch on 3rd and long. Plus excellent throw by Bowman.
4) Rucker’s game ending steal of the ball and having his foot under the other player’s knee
5) All of our receivers: Presley, Owens, and Leon Johnson were great. Dang, I wish we had Johnson for another year. Thinking about how bad the conditions were and they caught everything thrown their way (comparing that to KC Chiefs receivers last game)
6) Gordon: Dude just gets better as game progresses. That cut back TD in OT was something few can do,
7) Punter: That punt by our 2nd string punter in the weather was a field flipper.
8) LB coach: Oliver, Martin, and Benson are strength of defense. Not bad after having Rodriguez and Harper be the strength two years ago.
9) Onside kick: At the game, I could not tell why it was reversed and watching the replay this morning…I still am confused.
10) Crowd: Was thin, but it was cold and rainy. Admit I had thoughts at halftime of leaving and getting an early start on driving home.

It’s rare that special teams has been our weakness this year. Honestly I think they deserve an F. That extra point dang near lost us the game. Really inexcusable. They were not ready for the onside kick, they were not ready for the fake punt. Really really sloppy and almost devastating performance by them.

Honestly in the first half one team looked willing do anything for a win and the other looked hungover and not ready to play. Then we went to halftime

• Rashod Owen’s gave an impassioned speech in the locker room.
  • Ollie Gordon put the team on his back and flat out willed himself into the end zone 3 different times.
  • Jaden Nixon trucks a guy for a critical first down
  • Leon Johnson makes several key catches
  • Bowman shakes off the first half and deals in the 2nd.
Then on the defensive side of the ball….Man what is up with Nardo and his second half adjustments? It’s incredible really. My favorite all time Defenses at OSU were the 21’ D and the 11’ D…but this yrs squad is pretty great too. I don’t know if we have guys that you could call super stars but Xavier Benson, Colin Oliver, Nick Martin…these dudes are tough and scrappy and I’ll take them any day of the week. Several times this yr we’ve needed the D to make a play and win us the game. Again yesterday they did when Trey Rucker stripped the ball and ended the game.

This team isn’t as talented as some previous squads we have had, but dammit they’ve got guts and heart.

Honestly, I really like our chances next week. Sure UT is a blue blood with 4 and 5 star guys up and down the roster…we are sort of a rag tag mish mash of portal transfers and 2-3 star guys…but when has that not been the case when we played against Texas? 5 of the last 7 times we played them we’ve cleaned their clocks. We’ve got nothing to lose…I think we shock the world!
The D played a pretty darn good game yesterday, a complete swing of redemption after UCF. 7 of the 24 first half points were a pick six, and the other TDs given up were with momentum pressing hard against us which is tough to overcome. Then the second half was reminiscent of 2021 pitching an almost complete shutout. The offense was a tale of two halves again, but the defense went from good in the first to really good in the second.

On the onside kick, they cannot block a receiving player or touch the ball before the ball has traveled 10 yards. By the narrowest of margins they blocked one of our players before the ball traveled the required 10 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington Post: "one last twist of the knife"

Oklahoma State (winner)​

The Cowboys managed one last twist of the knife against Oklahoma, clinching a spot opposite Texas in the Big 12 title game by rallying past Brigham Young, 40-34, in double overtime. Oklahoma would have advanced to a rematch with the Longhorns if Oklahoma State, which trailed 24-6 at halftime, lost.

So what spurred the Cowboys (9-3, 7-2 Big 12) in their comeback? In a surprise to no one paying attention for the past two months, running back Ollie Gordon II.

Gordon scored all five of Oklahoma State’s touchdowns. Three came in the second half, including one with 53 seconds remaining to briefly give the Cowboys a 27-24 lead. (BYU would kick a field goal as regulation ended to tie it). He had a pair of short scampers to get Oklahoma State on the board in both extra sessions.

Gordon finished with 166 yards on 34 carries, and thanks also to Trey Rucker’s forced fumble and recovery in the second overtime, he’ll have a chance to derail Texas’s national title hopes in next week’s Big 12 championship game.

The last run by His Highness Ollie Gordon was one you really had to see in person. They had him stopped and then he ragdolled some poor bastard on the way to the other side of the field. The levitation to do any elbow drop on the two d-backs was truly glorious

The last run by His Highness Ollie Gordon was one you really had to see in person. They had him stopped and then he ragdolled some poor bastard on the way to the other side of the field. The levitation to do any elbow drop on the two d-backs was truly glorious
If there was any doubt left, last night removed it all, Ollie is the Doak Walker winner. Anyone else winning it would be a complete sham.

If there was any doubt left, last night removed it all, Ollie is the Doak Walker winner. Anyone else winning it would be a complete sham.
For sure. I just looked at stats and there's nobody you could really make a valid argument for. The Michigan kid has more TDs but only 900 yards.

Salute to you hardy soul True Alum Fans that stayed for the whole game. And yes, I really was there for the Ice Bowl.
Both me and my wife were at the Ice Bowl, last night was no Ice Bowl. However, those that braved the elements with us and stayed all the way through are dedicated.

I still think the talking blimp needs to shut his mouth about the fans leaving at halftime. It’s a turn off and unnecessary. Gundy joining in telling us we aren’t complete fans yet is equally moronic.

It’s not like that same fan base didn’t show up after USA and Iowa State. Give them props and quit crying. It was cold, wet and miserable.

Back