Sunday Morning Coaches - putrid chili edition

RxCowboy

Ranger
Patreon Supporter

That's how many yards we put up yesterday. The last time we put up more than 600 yards of offense was against TCU in 2021, which, incidentally, we played for the Big 12 Championship in 2021. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, there's still a lot of season left and a lot of business left to be taken care of.

The first half was ugly. It was cold and wet. It looked like a cold and wet game. RA said that at halftime Gundy challenged the team to play "the most physical they've played all year." They responded. That whipping they put on Cincy in the third quarter was a wood shedding.

Offense: A
The first half was close. Cincy's D looked every bit the toughest run defense in the Big 12. But the left side of our offense line played like a road grader in the second half. On the long third quarter run that set up the 9 yard Ollie Gordon TD, Dalton Cooper turned his man and sealed everything off his left hip and left nothing but daylight for Ollie. My Mom could have ran through that. Coop will be playing on Sundays. Then the TD was Gordon refusing to be denied the end zone.

Bowman was 17/34 for 286 with 2 touchdowns and 1 pick, and the interception absolutely wasn't on Bowman. His efficiency rating was 134.2 which is good, not stellar, but good, especially considering the conditions. Leon Johnson III had a big night in his first start. They wanted to redshirt him, but that isn't going to happen unless we get some other people back and healthy next week.

Ollie Gordon was mentioned again on College Football Final. He didn't get a helmet sticker for a third week in a row, but they mentioned that he wasn't going to (which was almost as good as him getting one), but that he should start getting Heisman and other post-season consideration.

Defense: A
I think our game against Kansas State was our best defensive effort of the season because Kansas State is obviously a very good team. But this has to be our second best defensive effort of the season. 6 of 16 on third downs (38%), 0-2 on fourth downs. Held their QBs to a combined efficiency rating of 104.6 which is awful. Emory Jones was much more pedestrian against our first team with an efficiency rating of 86.4. Maybe he doesn't want to visit Stillwater again. They had 277 yards rushing with 63 coming on one run, which means outside of that one run they averaged 4.4 ypc. Most importantly, we only gave up 13 points, with the second touchdown coming after the game had pretty much been decided.

Special teams: B-
We missed two field goals, one a 52 yarder, which given the conditions I was pretty surprised we attempted. We also ran another kick out of the end zone to the 17 yard line, what was he thinking? We can't make those kind of mistakes.

Coaching: A
Obviously, there was a sea change in the team after halftime. If what RA said was true, and I have no reason to disbelieve it because he said it at the start of the half, that Gundy challenged the team to be more physical in the second half, then holee crap did the team respond. And changes on both sides of the ball obviously were effective in the second half as we scord 35 points and gave up basically nothing. We took a close, hard fought game and opened the flood gates and wore them out.

Now it's Bedlam.

They acted like they had won the national championship and the season was over after beating Tejas.

We know.
They know.
The whole world knows.

But the season wasn't over.

They narrowly escaped UCF by the thinnest of margins, a UCF team that still hasn't won a Big 12 game. Then they couldn't escape a Kansas team that, oh, by the way, we beat.

They clearly weren't as good as their 7-0 record.

We know.
They know.
The whole world knows.

We are tied with them atop the Big 12 standings. Tied with Kansas State, who we beat. Tied with Iowa State, who doesn't want to play us again. Tied with Tejas who plays Kansas State this week and Iowa State in two weeks.

Bedlam. A scene of uproar and confusion. The term was coined because of a wrestling match. "It's total Bedlam in here!"

I've lived all over the country. There are great rivalries all over the country. But most of them are single sport rivalries. Georgia-Auburn has meaning in football but not so much in women's soccer.

Bedlam. If we play each other in tiddly-winks the week before is Hate Week and there will be bad blood, hard fouls and 6000 people will fill the arena. It is the best all-sports rivalry in all of college sports. And to hell with them for killing it.

Beat them and we have UCF, Houston, and BYU left in front of us, a combined 3-12 in conference play.

Bedlam. Let's win. Ride with Pride! Go Pokes!

Last edited:
Ollie’s running style is amazing to watch. There’s this perfect running window that requires the RB to hit the zone fast, but also have the patience to let the blocking zones develop. Very few RBs have that skill. Most RBs either hit the hole too fast only to run right into a blocker/defender, or panic freeze only to get swallowed up in the backfield. Ollie’s also built like a brick house. Ollie is not the fastest but he doesn’t need to be. Several 10+ yard runs in a drive are straight up demoralizing to the defense. He can take some backfield contact while the blocking zone is developing and get some significant yardage. Our whole running game is punishing defenses in the 4th quarter. That’s a testament of toughness this offense has developed these past 4 games.

We’ve got some young guns on the defense. We seem to blow assignments here and there but they have a backbone. If we can keep this core together through the offseason the defense will be one of the best in the new Big 12.

Solid game except for special teams. Its almost like they decided to sit this one out. Otherwise, it was cool seeing us dominate someone.
Its been forever since we've been able to do that. I'm tempering my excitement a bit, because we did it against a Cincy team that is 2-6 overall and 0-5 in conference.

Bowman played ok, but its weird how often he passes like he's Kobe Bryant shooting a fadeaway. Even when he has time, he's throwing off his back foot, leaning backwards. His decision making was good in this game, but I really wish he'd learn to step up in the pocket, and set his feet. He bails SO quickly from the pocket, and there's like a 5% chance of positive yards each time that happens.

O-line played really well. They wore down the best run defense in the conference, and seemingly gave Bowman a lot of opportunities to have a clean pocket (if he'd stay in them!) I've been really impressed with their turnaround since the beginning of the season.

Nothing else needs to be said about Ollie. He's good. He has such an interesting blend of running traits, and its fun watching him. I do worry about his workload, and think we need to keep him to about 25 touches a game max (which is how many he had last night).

Overall, I am a bit concerned that we've become a one trick pony on offense. I really hope we have a plan for dealing with a team that can neutralize Ollie.

Defensively, we seemed to be really sound all across the field. Guys were in position mostly, they tackled well, and we mixed in blitzes at actually good times in the drive. Again......its Cincy.......but it looks like this unit is gaining some confidence, and its coming at a good time in the season. I like hearing a lot of different names called. We have guys at all levels that can make plays.

Ollie’s running style is amazing to watch. There’s this perfect running window that requires the RB to hit the zone fast, but also have the patience to let the blocking zones develop. Very few RBs have that skill. Most RBs either hit the hole too fast only to run right into a blocker/defender, or panic freeze only to get swallowed up in the backfield. Ollie’s also built like a brick house. Ollie is not the fastest but he doesn’t need to be. Several 10+ yard runs in a drive are straight up demoralizing to the defense. He can take some backfield contact while the blocking zone is developing and get some significant yardage. Our whole running game is punishing defenses in the 4th quarter. That’s a testament of toughness this offense has developed these past 4 games.

We’ve got some young guns on the defense. We seem to blow assignments here and there but they have a backbone. If we can keep this core together through the offseason the defense will be one of the best in the new Big 12.
I disagree on the "not the fastest" comment. I don't know his 40 time, but it appears that when he gets past the first level, he's gone. I've only seen a few others do that since I started watching OSU: Chuba Hubbard and Tatum Bell come to mind. The rest, while good, always seemed to lack that third gear, and it was rare to see them outrun the secondary.

They wore down the best run defense in the conference, and seemingly gave Bowman a lot of opportunities to have a clean pocket (if he'd stay in them!)
On our first drive, the touchdown pass to Josiah Johnson, Bowman stepped up in the pocket and got hammered after releasing the pass. Dave and John mentioned that earlier in the season he bailed from the pocket on plays like that, and I thought it too, but on that play he stepped up and threw a dime which resulted in a TD and got hammered. It is what an experienced QB is supposed to do. There were plays later when he was flushed, but I didn't get the sense like I did early in the season that he was flushed when he didn't need to be flushed. He escaped the rush and threw the ball away and it looked like a smart play. I only remember him throwing off his back foot once and it was a completion.

I admit, I was very critical of him early, I didn't think he was the best of the three headed monster. His play in the last three games, however, and especially in the game at West Virginia, has changed my opinion. That game at WVU was his best game. Time after time when we needed a play he got it for us. And in both games, last week and last night, when we needed the offense to take over the game, the offense came through. That can't spell anything but good things for us down the stretch.

I disagree on the "not the fastest" comment. I don't know his 40 time, but it appears that when he gets past the first level, he's gone. I've only seen a few others do that since I started watching OSU: Chuba Hubbard and Tatum Bell come to mind. The rest, while good, always seemed to lack that third gear, and it was rare to see them outrun the secondary.
Yeah, no, when he hits the second level he's outrunning people to the end zone. He's clearly got some speed. And that 9 yard TD shows the power. He ran through, what 3 tacklers?

Leon Johnson III says Hi....
He looked good, but I'm not ready to bank my entire season on one new guy after one good game against the last place team in the conference. Plus, Leon Johnson III isn't a dominant force that we can carry the team on his back if our other hero goes down. My broader point is that I hope our staff is still working to develop schemes that can succeed when/if our hero gets neutralized somehow.

On our first drive, the touchdown pass to Josiah Johnson, Bowman stepped up in the pocket and got hammered after releasing the pass. Dave and John mentioned that earlier in the season he bailed from the pocket on plays like that, and I thought it too, but on that play he stepped up and threw a dime which resulted in a TD and got hammered. It is what an experienced QB is supposed to do. There were plays later when he was flushed, but I didn't get the sense like I did early in the season that he was flushed when he didn't need to be flushed. He escaped the rush and threw the ball away and it looked like a smart play. I only remember him throwing off his back foot once and it was a completion.

I admit, I was very critical of him early, I didn't think he was the best of the three headed monster. His play in the last three games, however, and especially in the game at West Virginia, has changed my opinion. That game at WVU was his best game. Time after time when we needed a play he got it for us. And in both games, last week and last night, when we needed the offense to take over the game, the offense came through. That can't spell anything but good things for us down the stretch.
He needs to do it consistently. There was a play where he had a clean pocket with an 5-yard diameter, and he threw a fadeway from our own endzone for no reason. Its his tendency, and I'd like to see him step up and plant his feet more. I think he could improve his completion % even more if he could correct that.

Solid game except for special teams. Its almost like they decided to sit this one out. Otherwise, it was cool seeing us dominate someone.
Its been forever since we've been able to do that. I'm tempering my excitement a bit, because we did it against a Cincy team that is 2-6 overall and 0-5 in conference.

Bowman played ok, but its weird how often he passes like he's Kobe Bryant shooting a fadeaway. Even when he has time, he's throwing off his back foot, leaning backwards. His decision making was good in this game, but I really wish he'd learn to step up in the pocket, and set his feet. He bails SO quickly from the pocket, and there's like a 5% chance of positive yards each time that happens.

O-line played really well. They wore down the best run defense in the conference, and seemingly gave Bowman a lot of opportunities to have a clean pocket (if he'd stay in them!) I've been really impressed with their turnaround since the beginning of the season.

Nothing else needs to be said about Ollie. He's good. He has such an interesting blend of running traits, and its fun watching him. I do worry about his workload, and think we need to keep him to about 25 touches a game max (which is how many he had last night).

Overall, I am a bit concerned that we've become a one trick pony on offense. I really hope we have a plan for dealing with a team that can neutralize Ollie.

Defensively, we seemed to be really sound all across the field. Guys were in position mostly, they tackled well, and we mixed in blitzes at actually good times in the drive. Again......its Cincy.......but it looks like this unit is gaining some confidence, and its coming at a good time in the season. I like hearing a lot of different names called. We have guys at all levels that can make plays.
The Johnson boys would disagree, Pressley would disagree, and I believe the o-line would disagree. This is the first balanced offense we’ve had that find the balance itself. Calling us a one truck pony is simplification.

The Johnson boys would disagree, Pressley would disagree, and I believe the o-line would disagree. This is the first balanced offense we’ve had that find the balance itself. Calling us a one truck pony is simplification.
I hope you're right. We'll eventually get to find out, because some team is going to come along that can shut him down, and those guys will have to carry us. I'm not saying we can't be balanced. I'm just saying that it concerns me when we rely on one component of our offense so heavily, so often. Seeing Leon Johnson III last night, I have hopes that we can spread the ball around going forward if needed.

Last edited:
I'm just shocked. Grundy's best coaching job ever. Very impressed. After USA I had written this year off, but Grundy has down why he is paid the big bucks. Now, would love to see Grundy roll the goons in the last bedlam. Go pokes.

Injuries to WR:
* I didn’t know Green was injured
* Bray - knew he was injured but don’t know extent. Johnson did great covering his spot. I know Johnson was hoping to redshirt.
* Shettron - I so want him to show what he did in HS …he was dominant. Knew he got injured last game, but was hoping he would be ready to play.

I'm just shocked. Grundy's best coaching job ever. Very impressed. After USA I had written this year off, but Grundy has down why he is paid the big bucks. Now, would love to see Grundy roll the goons in the last bedlam. Go pokes.
As an aside yesterday was my 17th anniversary, pokes winning, goons losing, and neon deion eating humble pie was the best football weekend I could ask for...!

I hope you're right. We'll eventually get to find out, because some team is going to come along that can shut him down, and those guys will have to carry us. I'm not saying we can't be balanced. I'm just saying that it concerns me when we rely on one component of our offense so heavily, so often. Seeing Leon Johnson III last night, I have hopes that we can spread the ball around going forward if needed.
The fact is if the receivers and tight ends weren’t doing their jobs Ollie is getting 2 yards a carry. The receivers and tight ends are blocking well, the receptions are improving every game. Cincy tried to pack the box, that didn’t work, they tried zone, that got blown up, I’m not sure what came next but it got blown up.

Injuries to WR:
* I didn’t know Green was injured
* Bray - knew he was injured but don’t know extent. Johnson did great covering his spot. I know Johnson was hoping to redshirt.
* Shettron - I so want him to show what he did in HS …he was dominant. Knew he got injured last game, but was hoping he would be ready to play.

The question is which if any of these players might be back for Bedlam?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back