Sunday Morning Coaches - Carry On Wayward Sons Edition

RxCowboy

Ranger
Patreon Supporter
Ollie Gordon and Collin Oliver

Have you ever noticed how similar their names are? So similar I keep calling Collin Oliver "Gordon Oliver". I'm sure I'm not the only one who makes the mistake.

Ollie Gordon got a helmet sticker on College Football Final this morning. He deserves breakfast at Shortcakes, a full stack with an order of bacon and an order of sausage links. Collin Oliver deserves a Snickers and a latte. Will someone please buy those for them for me? (it's no longer an NCAA violation)

I said last week that Kansas was playing all swaggery but I wasn't sure it was deserved because they hadn't beaten anyone and the one good team they have played knocked their d**ks in the dirt. They still haven't beaten anyone. I also said to someone on twitterX this week that we have an unfortunate history of making backup quarterbacks look like the second coming of Tom Brady in his prime. That turned out to be prophetic.

The boys on College Football Final, "Oklahoma State is very quietly four and two with a win over ranked Kansas." I still think Kansas State was the better team.

Offense: B+
The only reason why this isn't an A is because we continue to be so freaking unimaginative once we get in the red zone, particularly in goal-to-go situations. Line plunge for two yard loss, line plunge for one yard gain, then throw a pass that everyone in BPS knows we're going to throw and where we're going to throw it and it has no chance of succeeding. Oy. The two opening drives were beautiful. Once again, the play calling was creative, moved the chains, kept the defense off balance, got the ball out of Bowman's hands quickly, and, most importantly, scored touchdowns. I don't know if they mentioned it on TV or not, but sometime after that second series we had to reshuffle our offensive line again because we lost our best o-lineman, Dalton Cooper, for the rest of the game. Never heard an update after that, don't know about next week, but it definitely changed how easily we moved the ball.

6-15 on 3rd down still isn't good, we need to improve our third down conversion. 0-1 on 2 pt conversion, that play never stood a chance, Bowman threw into, what, quadruple coverage. He had a better chance if he had pulled the ball down and tried to run it in.

Bowman continues to get better. His efficiency rating, 148.4, is his best yet. The three-headed QB monster hurt us. We can chalk up our two losses to not being settled at starter at quarterback. If we see THIS Bowman in Ames we win that game (assuming similar play calling that is). If we were going to do that at all it should have been for the FCS game and none other. I hope to never see it again.

Our running game is finally starting to find a rhythm and it is because of two things: 1) our passing game is finally starting to click, and 2) we are feeding Ollie Gordon the ball. 38 rushes for 218 yards (net) and 5.7 yards per rush with 2 TDs. 554 yards total offense, that is starting to sound like Oklahoma State. We look best running the ball outside the B gaps, but we were actually finding room in the A gaps yesterday. There were several times I noted we picked up 4-6 yards on first down running A gap. Pounding the other defense like that eventually wears them down.

Defense: First 3 quarters C-, 4th quarter A
I don't know how else to grade it. In the first three quarters we allowed a second string quarterback to pile up an efficiency rating of 205.7 and made him look like a combination of Tom Brady and Joe Montana in their prime. Oh, look, the tightend is still open. At one point I could hear Mike Gundy screaming into the head set, "Will someone please cover the *^#%$@ tightend?" 410 yards passing, 5 touchdowns. And it was maddening, when we had them in second or third and long, time after time, they picked up first downs. The tightend is still open. But we needed to stop the run. We sold out to stop the run at the exclusion of covering their receivers. The tightend is still open. And we did a fine job of stopping the run. On the radio broadcast the team made the point that Kansas' was outrushed in their last 6 losses so we needed to stop the run and we needed to run the ball. Check and check. Outcome achieved. The tightend is still open.

But the 4th quarter, when we needed plays so that the offense could put it together and win the game for us, with the game on the line, time after time when we needed plays, the defense, which had to be exhausted by that time... the defense gave them to us. Including rushing three and sacking the quarterback on the final defensive play of the game. Oh gawd I love it when that happens, at least when we do it to the other team. Who made that play? Collin Oliver. Dude was all over the field.

I think their tightend might still be open.

I want to say this clearly and make no mistake about it, I am very, very proud of the heart our defense showed in the 4th quarter yesterday. They had to be exhausted, but with the game on the line when we needed them to give us plays they gave them to us time after time after time.

Special teams: A
I can forgive the missed field goal. The way it curved at the last moment it look like the wind pushed it. Otherwise, our special teams were simply better than theirs and it showed.

Coaching: B
We obviously made adjustments in the defense in the second half, and in the second half our defense showed some real heart. Our playcalling outside of the red zone has improved dramatically. I don't know who has said what to whom or what conversations have gone on in our offensive prep room, but I approve. Now if only we could show some creativity in the red zone too, particularly in goal-to-go. I've said before, there is a reason why every single NFL team runs play action passes in GTG situations, and that is because they work. The safeties and linebackers have to respect the play action and it draws them in. Fullbacks and tightends are almost always open. Can we please, please, please put in a PA pass package out of our jumbo set? Please?

Only 3 penalties for 12 yards. One interception, on the 2 pt conversion, no fumbles. I said we needed to play mistake-free football and we pretty much did. On offense we were pretty much free of drive-killing penalties for the second week in a row. That's some pretty dang good coaching.

Don't look now but we are tied for third in the Big 12. We cannot afford to get caught peaking ahead. We have to take care of business with the team ahead of us and winning in Morgantown isn't going to be easy. We are going to have to continue to improve. But the next two games are winnable. And then...

Their tightend is still open...

Last edited:
We play West Virginia this week, one of the teams we are tied for third with. Beat them and the tie for third becomes smaller. They just lost to 3-3, 1-2 Houston and gave Houston their first Big 12 win. Breaking their schedule down:

# 7 Penn State 38-15 a really good team and it probably wasn't really that close, IIRC, this was on Bad Beats for WVU scoring late
Duquesne 56-17, beat an FCS team <yawn>
Pitt 17-6, Pitt is now 2-4, 1-2 in the ACC after shocking Louisville yesterday. Not a good team
Texas Tech 20-13, TTU is 3-4, 2-2 in the Big 12 and hasn't beaten anyone with a winning record. Mediocre at best.
TCU 24-21, 4-3, 2-2, TCU's best wins have been against BYU and SMU. They could be a really good team, but unlike last year they have been bit by injuries.
Houston 39-41, 3-3, 1-2 Houston's only wins other than WVU were UTSA and Sam Houston. Houston is not a good team by any stretch of the imagination.

This kind of reminds me of Kansas last week. They are tied for third in the Big 12 with us, but their strength of schedule frankly stinks, and we are playing better at the exact same time that they are playing worse. Still, we have them in Morgantown, which is always a tough place for visiting teams, so we are going to have to continue to improve.

Last edited:
We have two full grown men leading this team on both sides of the ball, they will do what is required to do the job. Colin Oliver is doing things that are incredible and then you get into Ollie Gordon’s Choo Choo mode.

It’s refreshing to hear the players take accountability for their mistakes and to be accountable to their team mates.

Enjoy the ride, this group may surprise everyone

I think more props need to be given for our blocking…..of kicks and passes. How many extra points and field goals have we blocked this year? How many passes have we batted down or tipped to our guys? Those are difference makers in tight games.

a flea flicker in the red zone (i think it was) is not unimaginative, but I know what you mean...I honestly believe the first 15 or so plays were scripted and that's one reason we looked so good early and that when Dunn has to call plays not scripted he panics sometimes...BUT, hard to argue with 500 yards and 39 points...get some GOOD plays when we are 1st, 2nd, 3rd and goal and we will be in good shape...coulda easily scored over 50 yesterday...

Last week I said we needed to draw up some misdirection plays that attacked the edges in short yardage/goal line situations. This week we run a flea flicker and an end around that both ended up going to BPrezzle and both scored TD’s. In short…I am a football mastermind and I’m tired of being unappreciated around here! You are all welcome for me single handedly saving our season. 😘

1. Great back and forth game, good on the team for rolling through all of the swings in momentum.
2. The flea flicker was great, but our lack of diversity in the red zone still sucks.
3. The throws from the hash to the long side of the field don't seem to play Bowman's arm strength, at all. Nearly picked, late arriving.
4. And most important, we'll take the win and move on. This team is clearly improving and looks like a team that can win 8 or 9 games now,
but the margins between us and future opponents are pretty slim any given Saturday.

Go Pokes!

1. Great back and forth game, good on the team for rolling through all of the swings in momentum.
2. The flea flicker was great, but our lack of diversity in the red zone still sucks.
3. The throws from the hash to the long side of the field don't seem to play Bowman's arm strength, at all. Nearly picked, late arriving.
4. And most important, we'll take the win and move on. This team is clearly improving and looks like a team that can win 8 or 9 games now,
but the margins between us and future opponents are pretty slim any given Saturday.

Go Pokes!

I expect 6 more nailbiters just like the last 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Houston's win over WVU was on a last-second Hail Mary, and that was after a questionable unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on WVU on their own score that had them kick off from the 25. It's a win in the stats book, but it was more of a give away.

I thought taking your helmet off on the field was always a penalty? WVU QB has to be smarter than that.

I said it last week and I'll say it again, we have to get everyone involved in the offensive game plan when we get in the red zone. I don't think it's any accident that the three red zone scores we had consisted of a throw to Ollie out of the backfield, the end around to Presley, and a Presley catch out of the backfield on the busted flea flicker. We still need to do more with our tight ends/fullbacks in the red zone. We occasionally throw to them in the middle of the field, but they seem to completely disappear when the field compresses, the exact opposite of when you want to be limiting your options. We don't have the manpower up front to just steamroll people in predictable short yardage situations, nor do we have the super accurate qb and the stud receiver you need to just rely on throwing fades to the back corner of the end zone.

Offense: A-

550+ yards
Outrushed the Jayhawks over 2 to 1.
Gordon and Owens were massive.
Need more consistency in the redzone.

Defense: B-

Too many guys for KU running wide open..especially the 1st half...that said...late 3rd and 4th quarter they came up clutch.

Excellent win for the pokes.

a flea flicker in the red zone (i think it was) is not unimaginative
It was on the 20 yard line. It was a good play, particularly good because Bowman checked down to the back when nothing was open - Presley had lined up at the top of the full diamond and was the one who "flicked" to Bowman, Bowman checked down to him and he found the end zone. But ask yourself, could our red zone, particularly our goal-to-goal offense improve? We turn one field goal last week and one field goal this week into touch downs and neither game is all that close. Just one. The answer is, of course they can, particularly the goal-to-go offense. We simply aren't pushing people off the ball well enough to line plunge 3 times and make it work when they know it's coming.

Reactions: PF5
Too many guys for KU running wide open..especially the 1st half...that said...late 3rd and 4th quarter they came up clutch.
Like I said, we sold out to stop the run almost to the exclusion of covering their receivers. Our linebackers and safeties were clearly focused on the backfield and let their tightend run free.

Last week I said we needed to draw up some misdirection plays that attacked the edges in short yardage/goal line situations. This week we run a flea flicker and an end around that both ended up going to BPrezzle and both scored TD’s. In short…I am a football mastermind and I’m tired of being unappreciated around here! You are all welcome for me single handedly saving our season. 😘
I loved the jet sweep. When was the last time we ran a jet sweep anywhere on the field? I honestly can't remember.

When we finally put a play action pass in goal-to-go and we throw to a wide open tightend or fullback it's going to make me look good.

Has anyone heard anything on Dalton Cooper?

I think more props need to be given for our blocking
I think more props needs to be given to our blocking. We put up a blistering 37 yards of offense in the third quarter against FCS Central Arkansas and only rushed for 123 yards and 4.4 ypc. Our o-line is clearly getting better each game.

Back