Sunday Morning Coaches: Joining the Panderverse edition

From June 2021 until July 2023 I was an Air Force Squadron commander. In that capacity, I tried to come up with little sayings to help explain leadership concepts. One that I really liked and always seem to resonate with my young male officers is: leadership is like the sportscenter top 10 plays - your team can have a couple plays on the list and you can still lose the game.

This is Gundy to me. Every season he puts a couple good games together jumps in the polls only to lose the season to multiple instances of "being out coached" or "not being ready" or "couldn't establish the run" or or or.

If I would have failed as often as Gundy, I would have been removed as a commander. But here we OSU fans are again looking at our team, the representative of our university wondering how this can keep happening again and again.

It’s a ridiculous assertion that Gundy knowingly and deliberately throws games to teach fans or the team a lesson.

So you deserve the ridicule you’ll get.
I agree with Cowboy JD Gundy did not throw this game. We simply ran into a buzzsaw after having been a buzzsaw for five weeks. It was going to be a blowout one way or another and it unfortunately way the blowout the other way that we don’t like. This isn’t K-State last year we will be back.

Thanks. There are a few in the forum who are friends on Facebook and have seen the pics and can confirm, my baby girl was gorgeous. My new son in law is a good man. I like him a lot. He treats her well. He’s a veteran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations, your daughter’s wedding day is a milestone event. I know the feeling when your daughter marries a good man, nothing better.

I agree with Cowboy JD Gundy did not throw this game. We simply ran into a buzzsaw after having been a buzzsaw for five weeks. It was going to be a blowout one way or another and it unfortunately way the blowout the other way that we don’t like. This isn’t K-State last year we will be back.

This team has no excuse for beating 3 top 25 teams -and then losing to a 4-5 team by 30+. This is just giving up

This is a weird/fatalist mindset. So you're saying that the outcome was somehow pre-determined by some outside force, and that our coaches and players couldn't have foreseen or done anything about it? I can't accept either of those mindsets.

To be clear - I don't expect us to win every game, but I do expect us to compete in every game. Games like USA and UCF shouldn't happen for our program in my opinion.

One other note:

Malzahn's career has been full of games like this. He has perplexing losses and wins he shouldn't get. I know some here will make a Gundy comparison, but very, very few coaches can match Gundy's long-term success. Jumping the fence for greener grass fails far more often than it works.

I normally rewatch the game even losses just to see what happened. Won’t rewatch this game.

Live it sure seemed like the motion and pre snap formation shifts were less than 1/2 of what we’ve seen in the win streak. Also seemed like we pulled way less (maybe a result of having to throw it more).

I don’t know if we’re good enough to just line up and play north south on both the exterior and interior and it just looked like that’s what we did.

Defensively? WTactualH?

Mike Gundy and team are like the guys who see the bus of bikini Hawaiian tropic models and they get to Orlando and are like if you goto the city just 2 miles down the road…. Some day we will catch our break.

If we win the next two games and Texas beats ISU then we will go to the championship game. If that happens this becomes a complete throwaway game and one that hopefully we will benefit from by learning some serious lessons.

Different take:

In its last 16 games, this program has lost 4 of them by more than 20 points and two by more than 40. Only one of those teams was ranked. That's 25% of the games where we weren't even competitive. That is not acceptable. As fun as the OU win was, a lot of it just gets zapped away when the team can't even compete with a 4-5 team.

And you know what? I DO BUY THE INJURY EXCUSE. We weren't healthy at all on the OL yesterday and you can see the difference compared to five weeks of continuity. (That does NOT excuse the terrible defense) It's not a coincidence that Dunn became a "better play caller" with a healthy OL and a run game to provide for the offense.

But my question is: why is our offense always so beat up?

Are we really that snake bitten with bad luck in the injury department?

We have almost no receivers left, there are no subs for a D1 college football team! Maybe all of the drops are due to EXHAUSTION. Ollie Gordon is limping around for two games now. The OL is once again musical chairs, as it has been for 2 seasons now. Spencer Sanders played a game last year on one arm and one leg. Our starting RB missed the last half of last season. This is not bad luck, we're on two years straight of this, it is a trend. Something has to be figured out.

If the defense wants to be physical against the scout O in practice, fine. I don't watch practice, but what good is practicing hard and physical if there's nobody around to play on Saturday?

From June 2021 until July 2023 I was an Air Force Squadron commander. In that capacity, I tried to come up with little sayings to help explain leadership concepts. One that I really liked and always seem to resonate with my young male officers is: leadership is like the sportscenter top 10 plays - your team can have a couple plays on the list and you can still lose the game.

This is Gundy to me. Every season he puts a couple good games together jumps in the polls only to lose the season to multiple instances of "being out coached" or "not being ready" or "couldn't establish the run" or or or.

If I would have failed as often as Gundy, I would have been removed as a commander. But here we OSU fans are again looking at our team, the representative of our university wondering how this can keep happening again and again.
Right, because commanding an Air Force squadron is perfectly analogous to coaching a sports team in an adversarial sport where there are clear cut winners and losers every week. There are 133 teams in FBS. Approximately half of them lose every week, give or take (some of them don't play, and some of them play FCS). There are very few of us who face such an adversarial system in our jobs with clear cut winners and losers, lawyers for instance. So cut the hyperbole.

The fact of the matter is that under Gundy we have enjoyed what is, for Oklahoma State, an unprecedented run of success and yet for some people it: 1) isn't good enough, and 2) they just can't stand the fact that it is Gundy that has achieved it. You had an unprecedented run of success as a commander you might get promoted.

Good lord.

I think coach gundy does what he wants and sometimes it’s not in our best interest. Some of his decisions directly effect the outcome of the game. Is it done deliberately? Well, I mean that’s a judgment call. I personally have seen quite a few pretty illogical bad decisions and know mike gundys ego.

Did you notice how much better the team played after Iowa state? There was definitely something driving that since most of the fans were fuming mad.
Sure, double down.

Different take:

In its last 16 games, this program has lost 4 of them by more than 20 points and two by more than 40. Only one of those teams was ranked. That's 25% of the games where we weren't even competitive. That is not acceptable. As fun as the OU win was, a lot of it just gets zapped away when the team can't even compete with a 4-5 team.

And you know what? I DO BUY THE INJURY EXCUSE. We weren't healthy at all on the OL yesterday and you can see the difference compared to five weeks of continuity. (That does NOT excuse the terrible defense) It's not a coincidence that Dunn became a "better play caller" with a healthy OL and a run game to provide for the offense.

But my question is: why is our offense always so beat up?

Are we really that snake bitten with bad luck in the injury department?

We have almost no receivers left, there are no subs for a D1 college football team! Maybe all of the drops are due to EXHAUSTION. Ollie Gordon is limping around for two games now. The OL is once again musical chairs, as it has been for 2 seasons now. Spencer Sanders played a game last year on one arm and one leg. Our starting RB missed the last half of last season. This is not bad luck, we're on two years straight of this, it is a trend. Something has to be figured out.

If the defense wants to be physical against the scout O in practice, fine. I don't watch practice, but what good is practicing hard and physical if there's nobody around to play on Saturday?
Wonder if there is a correlation between those that were or are injured and those that have or will enter the portal?

One other note:

Malzahn's career has been full of games like this. He has perplexing losses and wins he shouldn't get. I know some here will make a Gundy comparison, but very, very few coaches can match Gundy's long-term success. Jumping the fence for greener grass fails far more often than it works.
I guess it depends on how you define long-term success. If you enjoy your position as top dog in middle management, you've got your guy.

I guess it depends on how you define long-term success. If you enjoy your position as top dog in middle management, you've got your guy.
We have the talent to win the conference but I can promise you that what we saw Saturday is not a championship team. It was pathetic

Back