Sunday Morning Coaches: Joining the Panderverse edition

RxCowboy

Ranger
Patreon Supporter
My daughter got married on Friday. She was incredibly beautiful.

Talking with my brother the gooner at dinner after the wedding I told him that this was a classic trap game, the week after an emotional win over your arch rival, on the road against an opponent that you should beat, but one that isn’t without offensive weapons and who pushed your arch rival to the limits just a few weeks ago. Sometimes I hate being right.

If last week was simply an A, this week was simply an F, or more like an F—-.

I wouldn’t even watch the game film with the team. If I were Gundy I would have the position coaches walk into the film sessions, say, “I hope we have your attention for the rest of the season.” And turn and walk out. Nothing could learned from that fiasco and nothing could make a stronger statement.

There it is, that’s my assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This must be what whiplash feels like from last Saturday to this. They had a local weather guy on their big screen before the game saying there may be some light sprinkles. He gets an F. 99% of their fans were welcoming and gracious so they get an A.

Talking with my brother the gooner at dinner after the wedding I told him that this was a classic trap game, the week after an emotional win over your arch rival, on the road against an opponent that you should beat, but one that isn’t without offensive weapons and who pushed your arch rival to the limits just a few weeks ago. Sometimes I hate being right.

I wouldn’t even watch the game film with the team. If I were Gundy I would have the position coaches walk into the film sessions, say, “I hope we have your attention for the rest of the season.” And turn and walk out. Nothing could learned from that fiasco and nothing could make a stronger statement.

Congrats on your daughter’s wedding!

Couldn't even find the end zone against the supposed 4th worse rushing defense in country. Totally and completely unprepared to play in rain like that. That game was truly a debacle.

I said in the game thread...it was like South Alabama where I kept thinking OK, we still have time to get back into this, they can't sustain this kind of success all game long. But that time never came and everything went their way all game long.

Offense F- turnovers, dropped passes, can't play in the rain, 25 yards for Ollie Gordon (see ya Heisman talk).

Defense F- gave up so many damn big plays. Stopped even trying on several it looked like. Who was the dummy in the game thread that tried to throw out "this is not on the defense" about halfway into the game when they already had been sliced and diced many times?

Special teams C. Hale scored only points. A couple of good run backs on kicks that should've set up good field position, but the offense couldn't do anything with it. C because of botched punt in the rain that UCF turned into a short field and promptly scored.

Coaching F- Gundy "coach of the year" talk will be dead now. No adjustments from anyone.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding.

Yesterday was a complete failure from top to bottom. The players weren't prepared, the coaches weren't prepared, even the equipment guys weren't prepared (how do you not know it might rain in Orlando, FL). I didn't think they would need another one after the USA debacle, but I hope this is a wake-up call for everyone.

There are only approximately 12 instances each season for players, coaches, and staff to bring their hard work, sacrifices, creativity, passion, and ambitions to bear. At the D1 level, there should never be a down week.

I'm amazed that the players, coaches, and staff need a "wake up call" game at any point in the season.

I'm more amazed that we performed like this AFTER a previous supposed "wake up call" game.

How many "wake up call" games are we ok with in a season?

Such a total failure deserves scrutiny and consequences. Just chalking it up to "getting out-coached" or "not prepared" is insufficient. Something needs to change to avoid similar problems in the future.

Its almost like Gundy empowers his leaders to get the team going, but in doing so kinda absolves himself of that duty. Our team going up and down like a yo-yo could be the fact that we're relying on 19 year old kids to prepare themselves each week.

Embarrassing, pathetic, and mentally weak. I don't see how this game can be justified without some kind of consequence.

I am going to say this and may get ridiculed but Gundy will sacrifice games to teach lessons. He taught us fans a lesson for questioning his decision making at QB so he made the 3 QB system. He is teaching the team a lesson this week for getting to cocky.

I don’t agree with Gundy and think he knows he can get away with it as long as we don’t have a losing season.

I am going to say this and may get ridiculed but Gundy will sacrifice games to teach lessons. He taught us fans a lesson for questioning his decision making at QB so he made the 3 QB system. He is teaching the team a lesson this week for getting to cocky.

I don’t agree with Gundy and think he knows he can get away with it as long as we don’t have a losing season.
It’s a ridiculous assertion that Gundy knowingly and deliberately throws games to teach fans or the team a lesson.

So you deserve the ridicule you’ll get.

It’s a ridiculous assertion that Gundy knowingly and deliberately throws games to teach fans or the team a lesson.

So you deserve the ridicule you’ll get.
Gundy is not a win-at-all-costs coach. Many of our fans actually praise him for that. To an extent, it is a praiseworthy trait at the D1 level, but it also cuts both ways.

While I agree he doesn't deliberately "throw" games, he's also proven that he's ok losing in a variety of scenarios, and doesn't even attempt to alter his approach for the W. Whether that's personnel decisions or game flow, he's ok with losing to preserve what he perceives to be the most important things in life. Playing seniors, injured guys, or better practice players instead of the more talented players is one example that we've seen him repeat many times in the past. He also gives up in games instead of showing tenacity, and continuing to show the team that he's fighting until the clock hits 00:00, even if we have little chance to win. I can see how some admire or allow for this, but at this level and his salary strata, its not something I support.

Last edited:

Yes, it’s definitely a Gundy-led conspiracy. He purposefully directed Gordon to fumble that ball and personally for the physics to cause it to one-hop directly to the DB. On the first interception he personally called for Bowman to throw a ball that would be perfectly deflected to the DB. After we recovered the fumble in the third quarter he ordered Dunn to call a play in which we would give it right back then ordered Nardo to have the defense not tackle anyone on the 2 yard line. I absolutely believe all that happened just so Gundy could prove a point that he can get away with it.

Good lord. That’s even stupider than the land thieves on Reddit who wanted to sue the Big 12 over the missed PI call.

Yes, it’s definitely a Gundy-led conspiracy. He purposefully directed Gordon to fumble that ball and personally for the physics to cause it to one-hop directly to the DB. On the first interception he personally called for Bowman to throw a ball that would be perfectly deflected to the DB. After we recovered the fumble in the third quarter he ordered Dunn to call a play in which we would give it right back then ordered Nardo to have the defense not tackle anyone on the 2 yard line. I absolutely believe all that happened just so Gundy could prove a point that he can get away with it.

Good lord. That’s even stupider than the land thieves on Reddit who wanted to sue the Big 12 over the missed PI call.

I think coach gundy does what he wants and sometimes it’s not in our best interest. Some of his decisions directly effect the outcome of the game. Is it done deliberately? Well, I mean that’s a judgment call. I personally have seen quite a few pretty illogical bad decisions and know mike gundys ego.

Did you notice how much better the team played after Iowa state? There was definitely something driving that since most of the fans were fuming mad.

Congrats on your daughter’s marriage!

This is the worst take I’ve ever seen and I mean that literally.

Congrats on your daughter’s marriage!

Thanks. There are a few in the forum who are friends on Facebook and have seen the pics and can confirm, my baby girl was gorgeous. My new son in law is a good man. I like him a lot. He treats her well. He’s a veteran.

Anyone who has watched this defense this year should not be surprised by this game. They have been extremely inconsistent, especially on the back end. There are freshmen getting significant playing time throughout the defense. Unfortunately they are learning on the job. Not saying the result is ok or that I like it. That is where the defense is. I will not be confident in them the rest of the year because of that.

The offense was just abysmal. All but one of Bowman’s interceptions were well thrown balls and the receivers failed to secure the pass. Bad football. The oline was dominated all day. I know there was a starter out, but my goodness that was awful against a suspect front.

Gundy, as usual, said they were out-coached during his post game comments. I guess give him credit for taking responsibility - but my goodness what a total coaching failure in every phase of the game. Two years in a row getting blown out (not even being competitive) on the road after big wins.

Back