Sunday morning coaches: Choking on our cupcake edition

RxCowboy

Ranger
Patreon Supporter
There's an old football pearl: when you have two quarterbacks, you don't have a quarterback. It's still true. We have three, which compounds the problem.

Offense:
Overall, the offense was nothing but mediocre yesterday. Our score should have been at least double what it was. So, rather than grading the offense as a whole I'm going to grade the three quarterbacks.

Rangle: C-
10-15, 118 yds, 1 TD, 1 int rating 262.12

The interception, throwing off his back foot under duress was bad, but inconsequential. However, it was much of what we had seen out of Rangel last year and the tendency to do such things will cost us against better teams. Other than the TD drive the team simply didn't move.

Bowman: D
13-24, 80 yards, 0 TD, 0 int rating 236.31

At one point Bowman had thrown 9 straight incompletions. With Bowman on the field in the third quarter Central Arkansas dominated the third and we failed to move the football and they were threatening. There simply was no spark, no fire, nothing.

Gundy: C+
7-9, 106 yds, 0 TD, 0 int rating 255.77

I didn't get to see the scrimmage, but have heard from multiple sources (including the radio broadcast last night) that Gundy Jr. looked the best of the three during the scrimmage. He looked the best of the three last night too. He was able to connect on enough passes that it opened the running game and the two straight scoring drives finally put the game away. Had we showed that offense in the first quarter instead of the fourth the *might* have looked like it was supposed to. I went with C+ here just because we didn't see enough of it to go any higher really. Had that last drive been a full drive ending in a score it might have been a B, but it ended in the Victory formation. It's really hard for me to forget what happened when he was handed the ball against K-State last year, basically wetting all over himself. However, based on yesterday's performances, were it me making the decision, I might start Gunner next week and stick with him until he proves me wrong.

Defense: D

Part of this rating is based on their opening drive when they looked like a hot knife going through butter. After that we gave up basically nothing in the first half. There was at least twice where we let them out of 3rd and long without getting them off the field. We can't do that against better teams and expect to win. The two scores we gave up in the third and fourth quarters were as much about our offense's inability to move the football as our defense's inability to stop them. I mean, 13 points isn't an unacceptable score. I'd prefer zero against an FCS opponent, or 13 coming against deep substitutes and not against starters. But 13 isn't an unacceptable score. We had 5 sacks, but we only forced one fumble. We should have had at least one interception.

Special Teams: B

Yeah, we blocked 3 kicks. But those blocks were as much on their long snapper as they were on our rush. Their long snapper was snapping high and throwing the timing off giving us time to get in and block the kick. Our kick coverage was excellent. We downed 3 punts inside the 20.

Looking at the schedule over the summer I thought we would go 4-0 in September. After watching that performance last night now I'm not so sure. I don't know, maybe those saying we lost to much to the portal and graduation were right. Maybe we have a lot of coaching to do to form cohesive units on both sides of the ball, because neither looked particularly good. We have to perform better next week in all phases of the game.

Offense: F.

F, as in 'fail.' Not good. The offensive situation is not good. At all. Obviously, this game was the first of the season.

Regardless, it's clearly self-evident the offense is the least talented since Gundy's first year. QB recruiting has been an absolute disaster ever since Mike Yurcich left. The current group of QB's is the least talented of Gundy's tenure, including his first year, and that's an understatement

The offensive line... I mean, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas State, and others are far superior in recruiting talented o-lineman. Even Kansas has had a far more talented o-lineman than OSU. I'd easily take Kansas' offense over OSU's. Every position of Kansas' offense is vastly more talented than OSU's. And it's not even close

Defense: D

Another disaster in the making. The defense had its moments... but Central Arkansas shouldn't have scored more than seven points. CA is just not remotely close to power 5 talent. Not even close.

I dislike being pessimistic. I mean, I think Gundy's unbelievable record of 17 straight winning seasons comes to an end. Who ever thought that OSU would have 17 straight winning seasons? Not me. It's rather unbelievable

I'm an OSU fan and will be for life. Even if this season ends up being a disaster, I'll support OSU.

Last edited:
Offense: F.

F, as in 'fail.' Not good. The offensive situation is not good. At all. Obviously, this game was the first of the season.
I can't disagree. That's why I stuck to grading the QBs. If GG's two scoring drives had come in the first quarter instead of the fourth then maybe the game might have looked like it ought.

You aren't being pessimistic. That game didn't look anything like what we've come to expect. It was bad, just bad. Like 2005 level bad.

Not that he was anything great, but I think Bowman is getting a bit of a bad rap. He had 4-5 pretty significant drops on perfectly thrown balls. Need to see more.

He definitely was the most decisive, crisp and accurate passer of the three. Got rid of the ball quickly and went through all his reads quickly. As you said, about 5 perfect passes that hit the receiver right in the hands that were dropped. In my opinion he’s still the best choice!

I mean, I'm of the same mindset as the coaching staff: it's a pick'em for the QBs. We have 3 mediocre QBs. Probably going to get the same results with either.

He definitely was the most decisive, crisp and accurate passer of the three. Got rid of the ball quickly and went through all his reads quickly. As you said, about 5 perfect passes that hit the receiver right in the hands that were dropped. In my opinion he’s still the best choice!

Weakest arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

we were destined to have a blah game solely based on the crappy pregame production...speakers sounded like we borrowed them from a local HS, which were 'blown' from misusage(amazingly sounded back to normal in 2nd half)...videos next to big one in east endzone didn't work for quite awhile...only thing that was 'cool' was the usual 'tombstone' scene...then came the game...UGH...we don't need to mend fences, we need a new fence...

Play Rangel and get him experience. If Gundy is truly the best option then play him, but if that is the case that says a lot about our QB recruiting imo. Not that’s it’s been great anyways.

we were destined to have a blah game solely based on the crappy pregame production...speakers sounded like we borrowed them from a local HS, which were 'blown' from misusage(amazingly sounded back to normal in 2nd half)...videos next to big one in east endzone didn't work for quite awhile...only thing that was 'cool' was the usual 'tombstone' scene...then came the game...UGH...we don't need to mend fences, we need a new fence...
How can they not figure out the sound system — it was horrible! And why do they still have problems with replays with plays are being reviewed? Should not be hard to turn down music when official is announcing results of play under review.

I mean, I'm of the same mindset as the coaching staff: it's a pick'em for the QBs. We have 3 mediocre QBs. Probably going to get the same results with either.
"There's an old football pearl: when you have two quarterbacks, you don't have a quarterback."

While Gundy had the best performance, his arm strength would be very limiting in Big 12 play. I thought Bowman looked the best of 3. He was reading the field well and without the 4-5 drops and any semblance of a run game, would have been the clear leader.

I am more concerned about the OL. I am concerned that our 2nd string line seemed to outperform the starters and that we have Birmingham playing at tackle, which is not good. He is an excellent guard and I would rather put Cooper out there.

Edit: Also, these takes are just my opinion, not of the site itself. Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:
My biggest questions coming into the game were:
1. Have we not named a starting QB because multiple guy are playing really well, or because no one is playing well enough to claim the job?
2. How good will our offensive line look now that they're healthier and they have new blocking schemes?
3. Will our defense be better under our new defensive coordinator and system?

I don't feel like I got the answer I wanted from any of these questions. Hopefully we just had an off night and we'll look better moving forward. It's going to be a long season if we don't.

Weakest arm.

I didn’t see that at all. He had the best motion and much more zip on the ball than the other two. Lack of mobility is definitely an issue but we seemed to do well with Rudolph, of course he’s no Rudolph. If my vote counted to anyone but me I’d say let Bowman work out some kinks and he’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weakest arm.

How do you judge a strong, or weak arm, whether they can throw the longest Hail Mary? Frankly I am tired of the Hail Mary throws since we have no James Washington types to catch them. His passes were by far the most crisp, quickest and most accurate so I don’t know how that equates to a weak arm. His decision making seemed more advanced and it was a good thing because he got zero ground game and very poor blocking yet was usually putting the ball on the money. He can’t throw them AND catch them too.

How do you judge a strong, or weak arm, whether they can throw the longest Hail Mary? Frankly I am tired of the Hail Mary throws since we have no James Washington types to catch them. His passes were by far the most crisp, quickest and most accurate so I don’t know how that equates to a weak arm. His decision making seemed more advanced and it was a good thing because he got zero ground game and very poor blocking yet was usually putting the ball on the money. He can’t throw them AND catch them too.
I think his shoulder-level throwing motion may make it seem like he has the weakest arm. As some Tech fans used to say about him is that his throwing motion is similar to someone at a bar throwing darts.
I haven’t been to any practices, but based on watching them last night…my guess would be that Gundy and Rangel have more powerful arms.

The fact that people have different views may indicate why Coach Gundy is having trouble separating them. I certainly cannot agree that Bowman’s “passes were by far the most crisp, quickest, and most accurate”. No doubt Bowman had some drops on catchable passes, but I thought Rangel and Gundy looked better.
I just wish one would have way outplayed the others so we would get past the thought of playing 3 QBs.

Weak side arm throws off his back feet. For having bad mechanics he does well. I just think we need to pick one of the younger QBs, give them the reps. If they dont work out then you try to recruit over them

I think his shoulder-level throwing motion may make it seem like he has the weakest arm. As some Tech fans used to say about him is that his throwing motion is similar to someone at a bar throwing darts.
I haven’t been to any practices, but based on watching them last night…my guess would be that Gundy and Rangel have more powerful arms.

The fact that people have different views may indicate why Coach Gundy is having trouble separating them. I certainly cannot agree that Bowman’s “passes were by far the most crisp, quickest, and most accurate”. No doubt Bowman had some drops on catchable passes, but I thought Rangel and Gundy looked better.
I just wish one would have way outplayed the others so we would get past the thought of playing 3 QBs.
Let’s be clear, Gundy does not and never will have a better arm than Bowman. Gundy does not have the physical talent to be on a major college football field.

Rangel has a very slow and awkward release. Bowman’s issues revolve around receivers not catch ing the ball.

I heard a conspiracy theory that Gundy has been the best in practice and HCMG wasn't comfortable naming him so he put him out here for all to see.

Not sure I buy that but it was clear last night that Gundy had the better arm and most physical talent of the three.

Let’s be clear, Gundy does not and never will have a better arm than Bowman. Gundy does not have the physical talent to be on a major college football field.

Rangel has a very slow and awkward release. Bowman’s issues revolve around receivers not catch ing the ball.
We'll find out more this week. If we play three QBs this week we'll lose.

Back