WCWS

At some point you have to compete for a title and for 5 straight wcws we have not, Gajewski needs to change something when we get to the wcws because it ain’t working

At some point you have to compete for a title and for 5 straight wcws we have not, Gajewski needs to change something when we get to the wcws because it ain’t working
We don't seem to have any Left Handed pitching - if we did the coaching staff was not comfortable with them.
All in All, beyond what I expected for the year. I'd rate it a 4.90 out of 5 for the season. Beat TX & UO 2 out of 3 times. Hosted a regional and super regional in what I'd say is the least attractive and up to date stadium of all the venues.

I'll just be honest and say what I think after watching this program closely since he's been here.

I of course think he's done a phenomenal job. He's created a team culture that people like Show, Kilfoyl, Ellish, etc want to be a part of. HE IS THE MAN for Cowgirl softball.

But thinking in the terms of a national championship program, I believe he realized a few years ago that the culture was a bit too loose. He didn't even have a set of rules for the team, which I found kind of shocking. He's since created "The Cowgirl Way" which I commend him for, and he references it often. Do the players buy in? It seems so. But there is a history of some players who have done their own thing.

The program still lacks a little bit of that needed discipline, IMO. Not like 1980's Miami U football, but like the teams that perform better than we do, OU and Texas. If you're going to beat them, you have to beat them. They don't beat themselves. We did beat them four times, with great peformances that showed our potential. We also lost twice to lowly ISU, got emabarrassed by BYU in the postseason, and of course the last two days--which is where I think the looseness comes in. Kenny's teams have a few stunning losses every season. You see a player like Bloodworth go through an entire season hitting under .200, and there's no evidence she made any changes at the plate. I don't think that would happen with Gasso or White. When teams get pressed like you do in OKC, you fall back to what you know--if you know discpipline and trust it, then you fall back on it. We haven't seen that much in OKC, we mostly see the wheels come off.

I love the program, I think Kenny does the most on campus with the least, I can't wait till next year, just sharing my opinion.

Last edited:
I'll just be honest and say what I think after watching this program closely since he's been here.

I of course think he's done a phenomenal job. He's created a team culture that people like Show, Kilfoyl, Ellish, etc want to be a part of. HE IS THE MAN for Cowgirl softball.

But thinking in the terms of a national championship program, I believe he realized a few years ago that the culture was a bit too loose. He didn't even have a set of rules for the team, which I found kind of shocking. He's since created "The Cowgirl Way" which I commend him for, and he references it often. Do the players buy in? It seems so. But there is a history of some players who have done their own thing.

The program still lacks a little bit of that needed discipline, IMO. Not like 1980's Miami U football, but like the teams that perform better than we do, OU and Texas. If you're going to beat them, you have to beat them. They don't beat themselves. We did beat them four times, with great peformances that showed our potential. We also lost twice to lowly ISU, got emabarrassed by BYU in the postseason, and of course the last two days--which is where I think the looseness comes in. Kenny's teams have a few stunning losses every season. You see a player like Bloodworth go through an entire season hitting under .200, and there's no evidence she made any changes at the plate. I don't think that would happen with Gasso or White. When teams get pressed like you do in OKC, you fall back to what you know--if you know discpipline and trust it, then you fall back on it. We haven't seen that much in OKC, we mostly see the wheels come off.

I love the program, I think Kenny does the most on campus with the least, I can't wait till next year, just sharing my opinion.
He also took over a program that had been to one WCWS since the turn of the millennium and has taken them to five straight. It’s not like OSU softball was some sleeping giant that had fallen on hard times, ala Nick Saban at Alabama. This year was a big test for him. Could he take a new group of mostly self recruited players, add in some transfers, and still make a run after all the talent that was lost last year. He passed with flying colors in my book. Oklahoma State softball is a name and it’s a place he can recruit talent to. Over and over again he finds players that are burnt out with softball and reignites their passion. Can’t wait till next year when all these freshmen become sophomores. Not to mention he’s done all this with a program that is having a historic run two hours away

Last edited:
He also took over a program that had been to one WCWS since the turn of the millennium and has taken them to five straight. It’s not like OSU softball was some sleeping giant that had fallen on hard times, ala Nick Saban at Alabama. This year was a big test for him. Could he take a new group of mostly self recruited players, add in some transfers, and still make a run after all the talent that was lost last year. He passed with flying colors in my book. Oklahoma State softball is a name and it’s a place he can recruit talent to. Over and over again he finds players that are burnt out with softball and reignites their passion. Can’t wait till next year when all these freshmen become sophomores
That's true and great as I said. Incredible really.

But there is a next step to be taken that he has publicly said he wants to take. I just said how I think he coud get there. I think he's the most self aware coach I've seen in some time and will continue to work and make adjustments.

You say "all these freshmen," but only Godwin and Davis were freshmen that played. Like I've said all season, they will both carry this program for years to come. This team was full of sophomores. But the great thing is that all position players come back but two.

By position:

C--Sr
1B --Fr
2B--Fr
SS-Jr
3B-So
LF-So
CF-Sr
RF-So
DP-RS So

P--Gr Sr, Sr, So, Fr

He also took over a program that had been to one WCWS since the turn of the millennium and has taken them to five straight. It’s not like OSU softball was some sleeping giant that had fallen on hard times, ala Nick Saban at Alabama. This year was a big test for him. Could he take a new group of mostly self recruited players, add in some transfers, and still make a run after all the talent that was lost last year. He passed with flying colors in my book. Oklahoma State softball is a name and it’s a place he can recruit talent to. Over and over again he finds players that are burnt out with softball and reignites their passion. Can’t wait till next year when all these freshmen become sophomores. Not to mention he’s done all this with a program that is having a historic run two hours away
Look up the name Sandy Fischer

That's true and great as I said. Incredible really.

But there is a next step to be taken that he has publicly said he wants to take. I just said how I think he coud get there. I think he's the most self aware coach I've seen in some time and will continue to work and make adjustments.

You say "all these freshmen," but only Godwin and Davis were freshmen that played. Like I've said all season, they will both carry this program for years to come. This team was full of sophomores. But the great thing is that all position players come back but two.

By position:

C--Sr
1B --Fr
2B--Fr
SS-Jr
3B-So
LF-So
CF-Sr
RF-So
DP-RS So

P--Gr Sr, Sr, So, Fr
Keeping all these players is gonna be tough, but the biggest issue is going to be pitching, Aycock is most experienced, but wasn’t very good this year and didnt play in the postseason. Gajewski absolutely has to bring in a stud arm. He obviously is a fantastic coach and leader, but like I said it’s great going to the wcws, but if you keep saying your goal is to win the natty, something has to be tweaked where we don’t look like we’ve never played softball and the being young part is just an excuse used by losers. Florida pitcher is a freshman, Texas pitcher is a freshman

We don't seem to have any Left Handed pitching - if we did the coaching staff was not comfortable with them.
All in All, beyond what I expected for the year. I'd rate it a 4.90 out of 5 for the season. Beat TX & UO 2 out of 3 times. Hosted a regional and super regional in what I'd say is the least attractive and up to date stadium of all the venues.
All of our pitchers are right handed.

Well hell guys……hate how it ended but it’s been a fun year watching this team play.

Not going to say anything about this game. My eyes are focus to the Lone Star Collegiate League located in Austin……we have 3 Cowgirls heading down there to gain experience playing softball starting in mid June and last 6-8 weeks. Macy Graf, Taylor Anderson and Katie Kutz are the Cowgirls that heading down there for the summer.

I really wish Kyra Aycock would go to one of the six leagues that are formed to help players better their skills. Last yr it helped players like Ivy Rosenberry and Lexi McDonald out.

Next season we all know that we are losing Kilfoyl, Rosenberry, Wang, David and Poullard….eligibility done.

It doesn’t surprise me if couple leaves to go and find playing time but hope they stick it out.

We have only one HS signee Tara Vandewater. She is a 10th ranked prospect by Extra Inning Elite 100. Played tournament ball for Nebraska Gold.

In addition to her top-10 ranking from Extra Innings Softball, Vandewater was also ranked in the top 50 for the class of 2024 by Legacy and Legends (No. 36), Softball America (No. 43) and Perfect Game Softball (No. 49).

During the 2022 season, the middle infielder/catcher boasted a .429 batting average with 15 home runs, tallying 55 hits (including 11 doubles) and 44 RBI while maintaining a .978 fielding percentage.

Transfer Portal needs to be kind to us as we need to replace some big shoes. On my wish list is 2 or 3 pitchers…catcher and a OF

During Supers, Washington P Ruby Meylan was in town. Of course recruiting is still early but was told that she really like her time here.

Another player was here on recruiting visit was a catcher from NC St. Amanda Hasler. Hasler batted .351 avg with 18 HR and 45 RBI .770 SLG% and .444 OB%

OF from Ole Miss Jalia Lassiter has called couple of our players after entering the portal about maybe coming to join Cowgirl Softball. Lassiter is batting a .314 avg., 4 hrs and 29 RBI on 61 hits 8 2B and 4 3B.

These 3 all has 2 yrs of eligibility left.

It be interesting to see who all Gajewski gets to join Cowgirls Softball when it’s all said.

Well hell guys……hate how it ended but it’s been a fun year watching this team play.

Not going to say anything about this game. My eyes are focus to the Lone Star Collegiate League located in Austin……we have 3 Cowgirls heading down there to gain experience playing softball starting in mid June and last 6-8 weeks. Macy Graf, Taylor Anderson and Katie Kutz are the Cowgirls that heading down there for the summer.

I really wish Kyra Aycock would go to one of the six leagues that are formed to help players better their skills. Last yr it helped players like Ivy Rosenberry and Lexi McDonald out.

Next season we all know that we are losing Kilfoyl, Rosenberry, Wang, David and Poullard….eligibility done.

It doesn’t surprise me if couple leaves to go and find playing time but hope they stick it out.

We have only one HS signee Tara Vandewater. She is a 10th ranked prospect by Extra Inning Elite 100. Played tournament ball for Nebraska Gold.

In addition to her top-10 ranking from Extra Innings Softball, Vandewater was also ranked in the top 50 for the class of 2024 by Legacy and Legends (No. 36), Softball America (No. 43) and Perfect Game Softball (No. 49).

During the 2022 season, the middle infielder/catcher boasted a .429 batting average with 15 home runs, tallying 55 hits (including 11 doubles) and 44 RBI while maintaining a .978 fielding percentage.

Transfer Portal needs to be kind to us as we need to replace some big shoes. On my wish list is 2 or 3 pitchers…catcher and a OF

During Supers, Washington P Ruby Meylan was in town. Of course recruiting is still early but was told that she really like her time here.

Another player was here on recruiting visit was a catcher from NC St. Amanda Hasler. Hasler batted .351 avg with 18 HR and 45 RBI .770 SLG% and .444 OB%

OF from Ole Miss Jalia Lassiter has called couple of our players after entering the portal about maybe coming to join Cowgirl Softball. Lassiter is batting a .314 avg., 4 hrs and 29 RBI on 61 hits 8 2B and 4 3B.

These 3 all has 2 yrs of eligibility left.

It be interesting to see who all Gajewski gets to join Cowgirls Softball when it’s all said.
Lassiter would be a nice addition. Definitely could use two athletic outfielders. Of course there's a need for probably two pitchers and a catcher.

Kenny has a few issues to deal wirh in house: both Wark and Godwin want to play first. When Wark gets healthy she'll want to play.

McDonald has shown she has the bat to be the in the lineup and she did fine in the outfield, but that may not be the best spot for her. But what is?

Do you keep the infield as it is? You have three infielders that play SS naturally.

Aycock not going to a summer league is a red flag to me. She has the talent, and this would be her time to step up.

I don't doubt that OSU softball will be right back in contention for OKC next year.

This team is better than they showed this weekend. They embarrassed Arizona in the super regional scoring at will and run ruling them and then show up in Oklahoma City anddon’t score a run. There’s no other way to put it other than they just choked. The top two teams in the College World Series lost two out of three to our girls. It was just a poor showing, but we will come back next year and give it our best shot again!

This team is better than they showed this weekend. They embarrassed Arizona in the super regional scoring at will and run ruling them and then show up in Oklahoma City anddon’t score a run. There’s no other way to put it other than they just choked. The top two teams in the College World Series lost two out of three to our girls. It was just a poor showing, but we will come back next year and give it our best shot again!
We didn’t choke, stop it. A girl hit it on the screws and drove it against Florida. We got beat last night by the best pitcher in the nation. It happens. They had a great season.

Lassiter would be a nice addition. Definitely could use two athletic outfielders. Of course there's a need for probably two pitchers and a catcher.

Kenny has a few issues to deal wirh in house: both Wark and Godwin want to play first. When Wark gets healthy she'll want to play.

McDonald has shown she has the bat to be the in the lineup and she did fine in the outfield, but that may not be the best spot for her. But what is?

Do you keep the infield as it is? You have three infielders that play SS naturally.

Aycock not going to a summer league is a red flag to me. She has the talent, and this would be her time to step up.

I don't doubt that OSU softball will be right back in contention for OKC next year.

Back in fall ball, Godwin looked better than Wark on 1st. But Wark knee may be bothering her this whole time. It be something to see how Kenny figure this out for next season.

To have fun with the situation……if Wark gets 100% healthy….i wouldn’t mind putting her on 1st and move Godwin to 3rd where she played quite a bit growing up….this would allow Edwards to move over to SS and have McDonald as DP….and if we do get Lassiter to come join us, then bring in either Lott, Graf, Sokoloski Anderson or Warsop whoever that can help produce some hits that Bloodworth is inept to.

Back in fall ball, Godwin looked better than Wark on 1st. But Wark knee may be bothering her this whole time. It be something to see how Kenny figure this out for next season.

To have fun with the situation……if Wark gets 100% healthy….i wouldn’t mind putting her on 1st and move Godwin to 3rd where she played quite a bit growing up….this would allow Edwards to move over to SS and have McDonald as DP….and if we do get Lassiter to come join us, then bring in either Lott, Graf, Sokoloski Anderson or Warsop whoever that can help produce some hits that Bloodworth is inept to.

I've heard both Wark and Kenny say that her knees were in constant pain all season. I think I remember hearing there will be surgery.

I think that's a great idea. An infield of Godwin, Edwards, Davis, and a healthy Wark would be good both offensively and defensively.

I was just going to post something about this….we have a problem, but a good problem. We have bats…and want to get them in the lineup but we more hitters that are natural INF than OF

We have OF’ers but Lott struggled and Sokoloski was hit and miss. Warsop is an elite defender and likely will be at CF next season. Timm is a true utility that can play OF and INF. Lexi McDonald is a 1st baseman only…she has no business playing OF. The issue is does he have the heart to sit Bloodworth? Not sure he does…but we’ll see. Godwin is a natural 3rd baseman and has the strongest arm on the team. Davis/Edwards should be the MIF which would allow Wark/Mcdonald to play 1st. Also frees up an OF position which needs more athleticism.

Washington has a couple OF in the portal. Brooklyn Carter is easily one of the top 5 fastest players in the country. Alana Johnson is the other and both hit over .300. Exit interviews will be taking place next week so we’ll see who stays and who goes…that should determine how active we are in the portal

Back