2022-2023 Off-Season

I bet they made cheap offer to leave early. It was rejected by Fox and the Big 12 and now they are made. They need to either man up or pay up.
OU literally can't pay up, and it appears that Texas is unwilling to pay for both. Great news for the Big 12, money-wise.

OU literally can't pay up, and it appears that Texas is unwilling to pay for both. Great news for the Big 12, money-wise.

Interesting news, speculation, and rumors flying around after the announcement that the deal for OUT to leave early has fallen through. It also amazes me that these prognosticators throw out some wild @ss guesses that have already been shot down.
  • The Big 12 and OUT had agreed to the early departure, but ESPN and Fox didn't agree to the arrangement. I suspect Fox wanted more than ESPN wanted to give up, since those games are moving to ESPN. The idiots on the urinal threw out the idea/rumor/speculation that Fox wanted OSU to play OU and they, FOX, wanted to carry that game, plus a few other games to make up for the ones they would lose in 2024. First, it's already been emphatically stated we will not be dropping any OOC P5 games to play OU. Second, I've heard nothing that even closely indicates we're discussing adding them to the OOC after Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska, and Oregon. Third, we play 9 conference games, so unless we are dropping to 8 conference games, playing OU in the regular season within the next 10 years isn't going to happen. Plus any other H8 school dropping an OOC P5 school to play OUT affects those other schools and while it COULD be done, it would be a ton of work and not make a lot of schools and fans very happy.
  • The SEC will be moving to 9 conference games when OUT joins. Which is a logical conclusion. It just makes sense to move to 9 conference games when you have 16 teams.
  • Rumors that once OU joins the SEC all of OU's OOC games will eventually become home games. They would have the money, but what G5 or P5 school would agree to that? More OU inflated ego that they are so damned special that they can buy home games against the G5 schools, ACC, Big 12 and PAC10? If OU moves to this and doesn't do a home and home with P5 schools, WTF???? I can envision this is being discussed by some OU supports/donors/etc., but I don't see this happening at all.
  • People are throwing out comments that because of previous conference realignment the precedent has been set for exit fees to be in the 60% to 75% of the amount set in the conference contract. So instead of $168 million it would be $100.8 to $126 million. I know the AAC accepted less because they had incoming schools and didn't want to deal with 17 teams. We don't have incoming schools, they're already here.
  • It's to OUT's benefit to remain in the Big 12 through 2024 so they can build up their rosters. OU's AD, Joe Castilione, is in no hurry to join the SEC so he can protect the football team.
  • In 23 and 24 the H8 schools, not OUT, will give up $8 million a year in revenue (approx. 20% of revenue) and give it to the new schools. The new schools will be getting $16 million a year until the new contract begins. That's very nice of the H8 schools.
  • The demise of the PAC12 is the fault of the Big 12 because we didn't get full value for our media contract. We did it to spite the PAC12.

Well if OU doesnt pay an extra fee to leave early, how does that benefit the big 12, financially? Other than being one of the two bellcows of the conference in terms of ratings

I bet they made cheap offer to leave early. It was rejected by Fox and the Big 12 and now they are mad. They need to either man up or pay up.

Edit: typo correction
I hear it was mostly the tv people who scoffed. the big 12 had some agreement with OU and texas but needed fox to play along and they didnt. Like they want to recoup the loss of having two teams who generate high ratings by having them play against big 12 teams in the non-con in the coming years. I can see where fox is coming from- they have two teams in OU and tx who average 2 million and 3 million views respectively every week and and they are replaced by 4 teams who averaged about 2 million views per week combined

I really liked the clock stopping and staying stopped on 1st down, that was a pretty nice difference in the college game. If they want to speed games up, lets have a few less commercials and a shorter halftime. Shorter time for reviews.
The game time may shorten, but the broadcast time will not, specifically, more time to air more commercials. All SEC money has to come from somewhere.

Lets get rid of extra points. You get 7 with a TD. The option to "go for two" remains but you lose a point if not converted. That deletes about 9 plays a game. Plays where an entire different unit has to take the field.

The game time may shorten, but the broadcast time will not, specifically, more time to air more commercials. All SEC money has to come from somewhere.
How could you know that the broadcast will not be shortened by these rules changes, but the people who make rules in the ncaa seem to believe it would?

Lets get rid of extra points. You get 7 with a TD. The option to "go for two" remains but you lose a point if not converted. That deletes about 9 plays a game. Plays where an entire different unit has to take the field.
How about what the xfl does? no PAT, just an opportunity to go for 1, 2, or 3 from the 2, 5, or 10. Also they do kickoffs but it's shortened a lot and makes it harder to get hurt. personally i think getting rid of the post td kickoff would be a good idea. just do overtime rules, you get the ball at the 25.

It’s not rocket science. The nfl figured this out. Running clock on 1st downs. I would even go for the clock stopping in last 2 minutes of each half.

Also, shorten timeout length. NFL does this. 2 TOs at 30 seconds and 1 at 60 seconds and add a 2 minute warning.

Assign an in game review official to speed up reviews.

But the main culprit is commercial break length. NFL is 2-2:30. College is mostly 3 and sometimes up to 4. Nothing like a quarter of nding and see the red shirt guy w 3:30 on his clock and 2 plays later something leads to another stop and he trots back out w 3:45 on his clock.

clock does not run during extra points so you have only deleted a few minutes of real time, but nothing relative to game time. I point this out because even if they save 15 minutes of real time, they are just going to add more commercials. Same with kick-offs since the clock does not start until the ball is received.

I do like a running clock for incomplete passes. To me it has always seemed odd to award what in many situations is a benefit to the offense for failing on the prior play. It would also get rid of the spike play and change up how the end of the game transpires. Puts a greater emphasis on 2-minute drills and game management.

Another time waster I want to see is, if you go down with an injury, you have to sit out the entire rest of the series. Will stop the phantom flops that stop the clock only to have the "injured" guy trot out onto the field for the next play. Depending on who you play, that can be 5-10 minutes of real time right there.

clock does not run during extra points so you have only deleted a few minutes of real time, but nothing relative to game time. I point this out because even if they save 15 minutes of real time, they are just going to add more commercials. Same with kick-offs since the clock does not start until the ball is received.

I do like a running clock for incomplete passes. To me it has always seemed odd to award what in many situations is a benefit to the offense for failing on the prior play. It would also get rid of the spike play and change up how the end of the game transpires. Puts a greater emphasis on 2-minute drills and game management.

Another time waster I want to see is, if you go down with an injury, you have to sit out the entire rest of the series. Will stop the phantom flops that stop the clock only to have the "injured" guy trot out onto the field for the next play. Depending on who you play, that can be 5-10 minutes of real time right there.
Yeah, like Texas A&M. Those guys were notorious floppers.

It’s not rocket science. The nfl figured this out. Running clock on 1st downs. I would even go for the clock stopping in last 2 minutes of each half.

Also, shorten timeout length. NFL does this. 2 TOs at 30 seconds and 1 at 60 seconds and add a 2 minute warning.

Assign an in game review official to speed up reviews.

But the main culprit is commercial break length. NFL is 2-2:30. College is mostly 3 and sometimes up to 4. Nothing like a quarter of nding and see the red shirt guy w 3:30 on his clock and 2 plays later something leads to another stop and he trots back out w 3:45 on his clock.
It's amazing how much money advertisers pay to get this airtime and most people just ignore them. but i guess they still end up making money off it because they keep doing it.

Back