Time to throw the house at UT

If the whorns show up like they did at the State Fair we have a shot. Their tendency to underperform in stressful situations away from the DKR south has been an issue for them.

If the whorns show up like they did at the State Fair we have a shot. Their tendency to underperform in stressful situations away from the DKR south has been an issue for them.
Ut's underperformance away from home vs. our Jerry's World curse...

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

I mean...they did go into Alabama and hand them a 10 point loss...

And caught Bama with an inexperienced Jalen Milroe who is now playing wildly better ball. If that game is played again today, give me Bama by 3+ possessions.
Everyone who knows anything about sports should know you aren’t who you are in the first friggin game.

I mean...they did go into Alabama and hand them a 10 point loss...

Bama has an OC in his first year with the team. Early on, he was trying to force his system.

After their games with Texas and South Florida, he adapted to Milroe’s strengths, and they have been playing much better ball. I don’t think Texas would beat them now.

Problem is, this team is so unpredictable (SEE UCF and sleepwalking through the first halves of the last two games) another dismantling--this time at the hands of Texas--is entirely possible.

Did I say anything that wasn't accurate?
Not at all but the previous poster I originally replied to was saying teams aren't the same from the first 3 weeks of the season to now. Same applies to us but here we are talking about USA again or having our own fans say Gundy didn't deserve COTY specifically because of that game. Time to move on from September.

Not at all but the previous poster I originally replied to was saying teams aren't the same from the first 3 weeks of the season to now. Same applies to us but here we are talking about USA again or having our own fans say Gundy didn't deserve COTY specifically because of that game. Time to move on from September.
This. Why do people treat me like garbage because I bring this up?

Here is the Championship Week edition of the podcast notes:

Offense

QB
- Bowman's first half was the worst first half of his play since the 3 QB rotation in the preseason. Not accurate, made several poor decisions. 4 turnover worthy throws in 60 attempts, which is way too high.
- Seemed stiff and almost nervous in the first half. Handed the ball off on the wrong side in two plays. Looks like it was on him and not on Oliver.
- Footwork was not good and was forcing throws. Turned that around in the 2nd half and played quite well. Had ~80 yards passing in first half, had ~230 yards in the 2nd half.
- Made some nice touch and downfield passes in the 2nd half. We will need that.
- Will need to play like he did in the OU game for us to win on Sunday.

RB
- Gordon had a good early run and then didn't resurface until the 2nd half. Had a few runs where he chose his own hole and it didn't work out. He would have been better off following his blocks.
- Otherwise had a great game, despite being banged up.
- Willed the team to win in OT.
- Nixon had his best play of the year on the 4th and 2 where he truck sticked a BYU DB for the first down. May have been a season saving play.
- Collins is supposed to be available on Saturday.

WR
- Leon Johnson had an excellent game. Played the ball well and even saved an interception on one of Bowman's turnover worthy balls. Is really coming into his own and has gotten better in every game he has played in. We will need him big time on Saturday and need him to turn in his best performance of the season.
- Owens had a sluggish first half but came out of halftime with his hair on fire. Had several big time catches. His motivational speech had an impact on his team and also on him.
- Bray looked a bit lost, like he hadn't played in awhile. He ran the wrong route leading to an INT and was not as crisp as earlier in the season. Will need him to step up.
- Pressley was solid and was able to get open despite getting a bit more attention from BYU's defense.

OL
- Springfield had an iffy game, and Wilson didn't play super well. Birmingham also had some trouble, but was able to get a better push in the 2nd half. Both tackles played pretty well, although Springfield had a costly wiff on a 2nd half run leading to a TFL.
- Mitchalski played well despite being injured. Had better snaps this game also.
- As a unit, they have a huge challenge this weekend. Will need to be sound, especially when run blocking. Will likely use double teams to help handle Sweat and will bounce runs outside.

TE/FB
- This unit played really well. Johnson, Stewart and Cassidy all were assignment sound and became more dominant as the game went on. They will need to play well to help Ollie run.
- Expect more heavy sets to help offset Texas' advantage in the trenches.
- Would like to see Johnson used more in the short blocking game to give Texas' D more to think about.

Defense
DL
- Outside of Kirkland, who played quite well and made an impact despite getting double teamed, were disappointing. Clay only played ok, and our DE's did not contain, get push or block well. Their worst game as a position group all year. Need to be significantly better this weekend to give us a chance, and it will be against arguably the best OL we have faced this year.
- Kirkland had several high effort plays, including the pass break up on a screen pass in the flat. Excellent hustle play.

LB
- Played very well as a position group. Played the run really well and was able to get some pressure on BYU's QB.
- Oliver has turned into our best coverage LB on the team. Blew up a deep H-Back pass by playing coverage so tight, they passed somewhere else in the play.
- Martin was disruptive and made his presence felt, primarily because Kirkland was eating double teams and allowing him to attack, support the run and apply pressure.
- Benson had an excellent game, played the run well and also did a good job in coverage. Easy to overlook if you aren't looking for it.

DB
- CB's played really well and pretty much locked down BYU's WR's, outside of the long passing play (excellent throw) late in the 4th quarter. Korie Black played especially well.
- Safety play was so-so against the pass, but they played the run very well starting in the 2nd half. Rucker came up big with the forced fumble and should be back next year.

Special Teams
- Were not good. Penalties, missed PAT, bad PR decision-making. Hale kicked the PAT way too low. Its not a 55 yard attempt. Was fixed in OT for first PAT, but needs to keep this adjustment.
- Pressley does not know how to field punts. He calls fair catches when he has 10+ yards of cushion.

Texas Offense
- This is the biggest challenge we have faced all year. Similar vibes to before the KState game from earlier in the year before we went on our run.
- Run first, but have big passing play ability.
- Sark one of the best offensive minds in the game guiding them.
- Tough matchup due to how we play, get creased in the run game and give up big plays through the air.
- Solid in every category, but not amazing.
- Mainly 11 or 12 personell, like to split TE out wide. Split zone block, tight zone.
- Lean more zone with running. CJ Baxter is more of a gap runner, so they are trending that way.
- Bash, duo, GT/GH counters, Mesh, hitch, dig, deep routes, like to throw to running backs.
- Keys: cannot let Ewers get into a rhythm early. Not a runner, all are scrambles, no designed runs. Will try to force things if uncomfortable.
- Simulated pressures have worked this year. Gotta throw off Sark's scripts.
- Stop them a few times and you have a chance to win. Will try to attack CB's early. Can get behind the chains.
- A blowout (of us), is on the table. Its as likely as us winning the game.
- Stop the run and it can throw them out of rhythm.
- They will try to pick on Epps and Smith.

Texas Defense
- Best DT tandem in CFB this year (I know).
- 94th in passing yards allowed, but efficient.
- Really good in the red zone.
- OSU needs to avoid being behind the chains. Forced into obvious passing downs, this could turn into a blowout.
- Base 4-2-5/nickel defense. Like having 2 high safeties. If they are able to stop our running attack with 2 high safeties, we cannot win the game. We need to have early success on the ground to encourage them to stack the box, then throw over their heads.
- Corners are vulnerable. Middle of the defense is stout, so sideline throws may be more successful.
- Get JJ involved in the passing game to help offset this. Use Ollie early.
- Motion will be key. We should use motion the most so far this year in this game.

Cade
UT 37-24. Game is closer than the score indicates.

Dustin
UT 34-27. Close the whole time.

We’re going to win this game fellas. I just have that feeling. Back is against the wall, no one expects us to win. We’ve shown when we play to our best ability we can play with anyone in the country and I feel the boys will play with all our effort and smart Oklahoma State football.

We have to get pressure on Ewers early, make him uncomfortable. Contain the run and the phrase we hate to use “bend but don’t break”. Force them to drive it down the field.

Offense I’d love to see us mix up our tempo, try our best to wear the interior DT’s down. This is what Ou did in the RRR. I rewatched that game this week and Ou had a great gameplan offensively. Key is, if we use quick tempo that we have to get some decent yardage on first down to keep the drive going (4 yards would be excellent).

With all that said, no one expected these young men to be in this game. They need to play like they belong because they do! Go get this freaking W and send the sellouts limping to the sec with no big 12 title in hand.

GOOOO POKES!!!

And caught Bama with an inexperienced Jalen Milroe who is now playing wildly better ball. If that game is played again today, give me Bama by 3+ possessions.
The same Bama that needed a 4th & 31 miracle to beat Auburn, who lost at home to New Mexico State by 21 the week before? That Bama?

Back