TCU at OSU

National signing day begins April 17th and ends on May 5th. He won't be fired before then. It's not ideal to fire a coach between mid-season and end of season. Gotta sign the class before Boynton is fired.

Unfortunately, he'll probably get another year. I really hope that isn't the case.
Doesn't seem like there is a lot of momentum on the recruiting front. The constant turnover in players and lack of progress may have made potential recruits and parents more wary.

I was feeling bad because Boynton is a good guy. Then it hit me that he’s getting paid a buttload of money, is 0-18, sucks at his job and his team doesn’t seem to concerned. Fire him, fire him now, nobody is a good enough guy to make millions and suck at their job.
He will still make millions with no job.

It feels like the only things benefitting are the coaches' bank accounts now. The situation seems untenable for the coaches, the players, the fans and the university. It's sad with so much money involved, it's impossible for the university or Boynton to admit defeat. Best scenario for Boynton would probably be to step back from coaching, take a year or two off to deeply reassess/analyze his coaching/recruiting style. Go learn from some successful coaches and find a system that works for him.

He will still make millions with no job.

It feels like the only things benefitting are the coaches' bank accounts now. The situation seems untenable for the coaches, the players, the fans and the university. It's sad with so much money involved, it's impossible for the university or Boynton to admit defeat. Best scenario for Boynton would probably be to step back from coaching, take a year or two off to deeply reassess/analyze his coaching/recruiting style. Go learn from some successful coaches and find a system that works for him.
Fire him April 1 and announce the new guy April 2. By waiting until then saves us $3 million. Use that to hire the next guy. Make it a good hire. There are coaches out there who would jump at the chance and do a good job. Look at the suggestions in the other thread.

Look at the box score. Why was Thompson on the floor for so long when he wasn’t making shots? Why wasn’t Garrison on the floor more? Dow is supposed to be a shooter. Why did he take up so much time? Is Keller hurt? No stats for him. Ugh!
IMG_8499.jpeg

OSU basketball is a joke!!!! And it pains me to say that!!!! I love OSU basketball but man this is brutal. I don't even look forward to watching any games
Agree! I find myself watching other B12 basketball games that are so exciting and come down to the last possession. The conference games are fun to watch from a neutral standpoint and excepting that I don't have a dog in the fight.

I start this thread only to ask, what kind of reception do you expect Avery Anderson to get tonight?

I personally don't blame him for leaving. It's different than some of the football guys to me. It was clear the program/coach didn't have the ability to help him grow into the player he wanted to be.

I don't think it is a coincidence that AA made his biggest development leap the year that Cade Cunningham played for us. I don't know if it was Cade's brother doing extra coaching or just the challenge of having Cade in the same practice room, but something was different for AA that year when his development really 'popped' a few levels.

I don't think it is a coincidence that AA made his biggest development leap the year that Cade Cunningham played for us. I don't know if it was Cade's brother doing extra coaching or just the challenge of having Cade in the same practice room, but something was different for AA that year when his development really 'popped' a few levels.
It was probably via having Cade with his high basketball IQ on the floor facilitating things, overcoming the lack of that from ANYONE on the coaching staff.

That team had great athletes on it, all they needed was guidance on honing that athleticism to basketball. I think it's the same with any given roster of the last seven years. Cade and/or his brother were able to do that either directly or indirectly, whereas every other year it's been up to the coaching staff who continue to show they are wholly incapable.

National signing day begins April 17th and ends on May 5th. He won't be fired before then. It's not ideal to fire a coach between mid-season and end of season. Gotta sign the class before Boynton is fired.

Unfortunately, he'll probably get another year. I really hope that isn't the case.
Today's transfer portal has rendered waiting for signing day day kinda pointless in that regard. Kids who signed b/c of Boynton will just enter portal. If they wait, it's because of money. Period.

I don't recall what the $$$ was for waiting, but as a point of pride for the program's history he should be gone pronto. Sutton should be interim and the search should start yesterday.

Look at the box score. Why was Thompson on the floor for so long when he wasn’t making shots? Why wasn’t Garrison on the floor more? Dow is supposed to be a shooter. Why did he take up so much time? Is Keller hurt? No stats for him. Ugh!
View attachment 3323
Rotation management might be his biggest flaw and that’s saying something. Garrison picked up his 3rd foul to start 2nd half and his 4th around 10 minute mark. Went to bench both times but IMO Boynton’s refusal to bring him back at the 5 or 6 minute mark cost us. TCU really took advantage of our lack of size.

Another unforced costly mistake was somewhere around 6:30 left and I think it was tied. He went w Dow/Hicklan/Marsh/Thompson/Wright. Then he went zone. Immediately gave up an open look for an easy basket. Switched back to man and didn’t communicate well and gave up uncontested layup. Ballgame.

Also note Qs 3 minutes in your box score all in 1st half. So the kid was good enough to have on the floor in the last minute of a one possession game but only gets 3 minutes the next?

Almost 12:00 combined minutes without a FG to close each half……he’s so bad at game management it almost looks intentional at this point.
Don’t know if you watched but TCU had no one who could guard Dailey. Bigs couldn’t contain him if he faced up outside and smalls couldn’t guard him if he posted.

Guess how many times we ran a set for him in those 12+ minutes to close out each half. The answer coincides w the exact number of fgs we made.

View attachment 3323
Great question--where is Keller? He's so much better than Dow its not even close....in fact, he might even be....at least 5 points better.

Honestly tho. Fire Boynton. Interim Scott Sutton. He would absolutely do better than this. We have some players with talent but they are failed over and over again by coaching.
With Gottlieb basically begging for the job, fire Boyton and bring Gottlieb in as the interim. If progress is made, consider him for a permanent position because if he were a good coach his OSU loyalty would be second to none. If not, we can end that constant speculation nearly risk free.

Keller hasn’t played significant minutes since conf play. He’s completely disappeared.
I wonder if that stems from the intentionally shorter bench within conference play. Like Miranda, he missed a fair bit of the non-con time. Could certainly be something else we don’t know about, but generally speaking, Small is MUCH better than he is at this point so maybe they are easing things along. Of course that would mean an eye for development, which I think we all have doubts about under the current regime.

I’m rambling at this point because it is all very frustrating…

With Gottlieb basically begging for the job, fire Boyton and bring Gottlieb in as the interim. If progress is made, consider him for a permanent position because if he were a good coach his OSU loyalty would be second to none. If not, we can end that constant speculation nearly risk free.

This is not a bad idea but at this point I think you have to hire someone with experience as a HC and shown success.The problem is the interim may not be long enough to gage gotlieb as a good hire. I love him and would consider if he had experience. I mean look what happened with Boynton and he did have experience as an assistant.

I think you're onto something here sign me up

How far we've fallen when we're almost begging to hire a guy with ZERO coaching experience. At any level. Anywhere. But he put his shorts on backwards once, so that's cool I guess.

I wonder if that stems from the intentionally shorter bench within conference play. Like Miranda, he missed a fair bit of the non-con time. Could certainly be something else we don’t know about, but generally speaking, Small is MUCH better than he is at this point so maybe they are easing things along. Of course that would mean an eye for development, which I think we all have doubts about under the current regime.

I’m rambling at this point because it is all very frustrating…
My thoughts exactly. Maybe Keller’s increased minutes from Thanksgiving on where a “tryout” so to speak. In that time frame Wright and Dow were getting next to 0 minutes. Now they are starting and getting 20ish a game while Keller gets zero.

It’s just like this every year and worst part is that it completely messes w the kids.

I just keep telling myself we are 6 weeks from this being over.

Back