KU at OSU

Even tho I hope he's gone immediately following the conclusion of this season, I think he'd be fired at the beginning of next season, so to keep recruiting class intact. And that is a massive buyout. Holder convinced Boone to completely change OSU football. He was successful in doing so

Regarding the basketball program, Holder completely failed. He gave Ford an insane contract, and did so with Boynton. It's frustrating, to say the least
You can blame Holder, but it was college athletics 101. It they win, do whatever you can do to keep them around. Same principles are in place today.

You can blame Holder, but it was college athletics 101. It they win, do whatever you can do to keep them around. Same principles are in place today.
I am blaming Holder. We're more than likely stuck with Boynton for a couple more years because of the absurd contracts he put together. The basketball program is a dumpster fire and will be for many years to come.

I am blaming Holder. We're more than likely stuck with Boynton for a couple more years because of the absurd contracts he put together. The basketball program is a dumpster fire and will be for many years to come.
I am just saying every program is doing this. Coaches are being extended out 6-7 years after one decent season. You would being the same thing if you were AD.

He was so worried about coaches getting poached. (With Underwood literally just getting poached it makes a little sense) He gave out a lot of coach friendly contracts which gives you zero incentive to improve. When you know it would be next to impossible to fired you are going to lose your edge.

That is not what I heard from people on the OP board back when it was going on. Note by this I mean I was told it by them in person, not I read it on the board.

Anyway, I heard he was all set to and changed his mind to keep from uprooting his family. All his kids are out of school now. Maybe someone else here with more information can speak up.
That is the same story I heard. It was done, then he backed out.

His teams always seem to have very exploitable weaknesses in areas of their game. I struggle to gauge just how much the NIL, transfer portal & NCAA penalties have hurt him. He seems very good at building relationships, but those relationships haven't exactly created any loyalty. Losing Cisse protecting the rim was likely a big loss on defense. Some of those close non-conference games likely turn into wins if he was still here & playing.

I don't really understand the relationships with the assistant coaches. Do they have an input, but as a coaching staff they aren't capable of implementing it? The assistants seem to be pretty loyal, so I would think he would listen and respect their abilities. Are the players he recruits just not disciplined enough to take instruction & play in a system? Is it that he's too nice & just can't instill discipline into a game setting?

Obviously the constant turnover is a huge issue, but the quality of play and coaching hasn't shown any sign of consistently improving.
Thanks! Makes some sense.

I don't think that was remotely close.
You’re wrong but believe whatever you want.
It was mentioned earlier that the current buyout is around 8mil, goes to 6.7 on 4/1. I agree reasonable expectation is that would be negotiated to a quick payout of 5mil to part ways. If a 100mil athletic dept can’t come up with that, especially on the projection of continued lost revenue with MBB, then we need new leadership.
I think it will actually be less. Termination for cause is a lot different than leaving for another school. He's got a future to think about, you tank a program and then try to bully more money of the school because you can't do the job you're going to interview for somewhere else? Not a great look.

Are you Mike Boynton? If not, then don’t pretend to know what he would settle for. Coaches don’t always settle for less.
I was using the $5 million as an example. By saying they sometimes settle for less implies that they don’t always settle for less, so in essence, you are agreeing with me in that regard.

Back