BYU @ OSU

Where is Garrison? The Cowboys are getting killed by their 7 footer and Boynton has Garrison in the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In fairness Garrison was at the scorer’s table waiting on a deadball. We went from the under 12 all the way to the under 8. I think Garrison went to the table at 11:30ish.

But your point is valid and why I think Boynton loses key pieces. I am still really high on Dailey but he is being handled wrong and developed incorrectly on both ends. Defensively he is being asked to guard the other team’s post. He is not ready for that. Offensively we stick him in the corner and run zero sets for him. No screens to get mismatches down low or touches going to the rim. He was really good from 15-20 feet early but Boynton doesn’t want midrange jumpers bc analytics. I think it was against Kst in GIA he took an 18’ and immediately came out.

In fairness Garrison was at the scorer’s table waiting on a deadball. We went from the under 12 all the way to the under 8. I think Garrison went to the table at 11:30ish.

But your point is valid and why I think Boynton loses key pieces. I am still really high on Dailey but he is being handled wrong and developed incorrectly on both ends. Defensively he is being asked to guard the other team’s post. He is not ready for that. Offensively we stick him in the corner and run zero sets for him. No screens to get mismatches down low or touches going to the rim. He was really good from 15-20 feet early but Boynton doesn’t want midrange jumpers bc analytics. I think it was against Kst in GIA he took an 18’ and immediately came out.

I think the 3 guards today Small, Keller and Wright help create shoots for themselves and others, especially Garrision. If we can rebound with Williams basically playing a forward I have no problem with Dailey getting limited time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree. Dailey hasn't developed at all in the last month or so, mainly because he hasn't had the chance to. HCMB sure doesn't mind when Bryce Thompson shoots mid range jumpers.

I would have taken it personally. “I’d be a better coach if you a holes would buy me better players. These guys suck.”

Perfect paraphrase.
Like most others, I want Boynton gone, too. But he didn't say his players sucked. That's not even remotely close.

He meant that we lost experienced players due to the woefully underfunded basketball NIL program. We certainly would've had a much better season had NIL kept those players here. We wouldn't have to rely on one of the youngest (if not the youngest) rosters in all of collegiate basketball. We're in the toughest basketball conference... without experience, well, it's a recipe for disaster

'm not defending Boynton and his interview. I'm merely giving context to what Boynton meant... it should be self-evident to what he meant... not sure how people are interpreting incorrectly. Maybe because of how all upset we all are... I get it tho

Agree completely on Dailey. Additionally the offense looks so much better when it goes through him. I feel bad for the kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keller played great--but I could have sworn he had a 15 foot shot blocked and also missed a deep three, but the box score says he was 8 for 8. Am I going crazy?

Like most others, I want Boynton gone, too. But he didn't say his players sucked. That's not even remotely close.

He meant that we lost experienced players due to the woefully underfunded basketball NIL program. We certainly would've had a much better season had NIL kept those players here. We wouldn't have to rely on one of the youngest (if not the youngest) rosters in all of collegiate basketball. We're in the toughest basketball conference... without experience, well, it's a recipe for disaster

'm not defending Boynton and his interview. I'm merely giving context to what Boynton meant... it should be self-evident to what he meant... not sure how people are interpreting incorrectly. Maybe because of how all upset we all are... I get it tho
Not even remotely close? Yeah, it was. Unless you’re HCMB you don’t know what the context was. If his intent should be “self evident,” he did a piss poor job conveying it.

And I don’t say that to be flippant. We could go back and forth all day on intent and we would be both be correct/incorrect. Like you said, maybe we’re seeing it different because of the overall situation. It’s unsustainable either way.

I personally wouldn’t have given that interview in the current environment. It was a match on a tinder box and extraordinarily tone deaf.

He’s still wrong

He’s still wrong
Yep still wrong. NIL is a piss poor excuse for bad results. Does Iowa State have a deep well funded NIL program? Does Texas Tech? How about Colorado State, Utah State, Florida Atlantic, or Dayton? Nope. Sure don't. Yet all those teams have been mainstays or in/out of the top 25 all season despite the lack of NIL and top tier recruiting classes.

If we actually performed well, brought out players' strengths, and made the tournament on a regular basis we wouldn't be seeing mass exodus to the extent we do EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Besides, as a head coach it's your job to understand what your program has to work with and operate accordingly. If you don't have the big money to keep the McD's All-Americans for more than a year, maybe you should put your recruiting focus on "lower rated" guys more apt to stay around. But then again that would require the ability to develop players which this staff has proven inept at.

Last edited:
NIL is tough for OkSt.

This is where our grandparents and parents met. It’s where we met our spouses and friends. We just don’t take our kids to BPS or GIA. We take them to the Union, Library Lawn and Theta Pond. Walk around is often 3-4 generations gathering for a weekend.

We celebrate TDs at BPS. Buckets at GIA. We yell “3” at takedowns. We high five strangers in the outfield at softball. We marvel at O’Brate. We celebrate when Rickie or Victor win on Tour. We are overjoyed when we when Natty’s in cross country, Golf, equestrian or a women’s ITA.

We don’t get it when an athlete who for over a century has been just like us now moves on for more money.

NIL will be a problem for us for a while. Football and high profile athletes proves we can support it. Boynton failed to understand that if you are one of us we will support you. Do it the right way. Have success and you will be overwhelmed. His interview was a massive miscalculation. Just one more indication he doesn’t know how to lead the basketball program.

Last edited:
No, I'm not wrong. We've lost conference games by an avg of 5 points. OSU has the youngest roster in the Big 12. Had NIL kept the mass exodus from occuring after the conclusion of last season, we'd be a much better team than we have now.. and it wouldn't be close.

I'm not understanding how people misinterpret my posts. I'm not defending Boynton, good lord. But he is right about NIL... sufficient NIL would've meant that most starters this year would not be starters.. they'd be bench riders.

I agree that Boynton isn't getting the job done and that's an understatement. But he is right tho. How do people not understand that he is right? The next coach will have the same damn problems with NIL and mass transfers unless OSU leadership gets serious about the basketball program.

It's a fallacy to compare OSU to any other program, such as Iowa State. What does Iowa State have anything to do with OSU's basketball program? Iowa State lucked out and won the transfer lottery. You have no idea how a team will perform with tons of transfers, so it's not like Iowa State's coach is Nastradamus or something. By sheer luck Iowa State won the transfer lottery. Iowa State is probably only one of a handful of teams tjat struck transfer gold.

Unless OSU leadership gets serious about NIL and the basketball program, OSU basketball will continue to fade away into obscurity. Either adapt to changes, or fall way behind. OSU leadership refuses to do what's necessary to give the basketball program a chance to succeed.

How do people not understand that? For the past 3 years, lack of NIL has destroyed the roster year after year. That will continue because OSU leadership doesn't give one damn thing about OSU basketball. It's only football theae days.

Back