QB Situation

Herecomesbullet

The fact that the coaches felt like Alan Bowman gave the team the best chance at winning yesterday would indicate that neither Gunnar Gundy or Rangel are the future. Personally, I wish Gundy would burn things down and completely reset, and gear the remainder of this year to the future. But, there is almost no way he will do that. The winning seasons, bowl game streak, etc...although in the grand scheme of things is fairly, if not completely irrelevant, it isn't to the Gundy supporters, or to him, and, it's those folks who allow him to be so comfortable.

So, it will be important to Gundy to make a bowl to keep that portion of our fan base happy so he can continue to have the same free reign and comfortable set up he's had at OSU for years now.

That being said, he will keep evaluating from week to week which QB is the best matchup for that week to put the biggest band aid on this season as possible.

Meanwhile, at some point, it will be clear to many, if not most OSU fans, that this season is a loss. These fans will accept this fact much, much sooner than our coaches will, which, IMO, will be unfortunate.

At that point Zane Flores would need to be given the reigns, but it's unlikely that will happen because that will indicate a concession to the season from Gundy. Especially after the comments he made about him last week, and the overall comments he's made in the past about how long it takes freshman QBs to adjust to College Football.

Flores has big talent, but is he the future? Who knows! The backup QB is always the most popular player on the team right?

But, at some point, there will be no reason to not give him the chance for us all to find out, and introduce the possibility that he might shoot some excitement back into the prospects of the future. Similar, if not identical, to what happened in 2014 with Mason Rudolph.

I'll say it again: Until our offensive line play improves, and until the OC can figure out an offense that resembles a coherent D1 unit, it doesn't matter who calls the signals. It's going to continue to be a disaster.
I think the OC and OLIne issues go hand in hand. There are ways to help an oline that struggles. Running inside zone, almost exclusively, with backs that aren't exceptionally good at making people miss, is not one of those ways. Getting the ball to Pressley in the short passing game would also help, and, for some unknown reason, we just don't do it. I'm of the opinion though, and have been since the hire of Mike Yurcich, that Gundy is in control of the offense, and that his OC's are having to operate under that umbrella.

Last edited:
Flores is a complete unknown at this point. More HS hotshots don’t make the transition to stud college QB than do, so unless he’s just completely dominating every other QB in practice putting all our eggs in his basket probably wouldn’t be our best move. Especially with no reliable foundation anywhere else within our offense. Hopefully he’s our next star, but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flores is a complete unknown at this point. More HS hotshots don’t make the transition to stud college QB than do, so unless he’s just completely dominating every other QB in practice putting all our eggs in his basket probably wouldn’t be our best move. Especially with no reliable foundation anywhere else within our offense. Hopefully he’s our next star, but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At the point it is clear that Rangel or Gunnar, neither, are the future, Flores needs to be getting the snaps. There is nothing to be accomplished by losing games while playing guys that are not part of building your future.

You don't want to Wes Lunt the kid. If he isn't physically ready, he isn't ready. But if Bowman and Rangel are close at all, you gotta go with Rangel and see if he can develop or not.
Understood, but guys come out of HS these days basically plug and play from a physical perspective. The weight programs at almost all HS programs that take football seriously are extremely good. It's not likely it's a physical issue, and more likely Gundy doesn't think he knows the offense well enough.

Back