2024 Spring Football Thread

Construction with an “s”.
Warning Anthony Anderson GIF by HULU

The biggest takeaway from spring football so far is that the ASU transfer Isaia Glass has taken the RT starting position from Jake Springfield.
Not really surprising because the O line staff thought they got a big early Christmas present when he announced he was coming to OSU back during the first portal transfer period!!! He is a very good athlete for an offensive lineman with really good push and GOOD FEET! He is probably the best athlete we have on the O line plus he performed fairly well against our defense last year when we played them early in September! 🤠

Here is the notes for the latest Feels Like 45 Podcast. While it touches on multiple OSU sports, this episode is more football centric so I am posting it in the football section of the boards.

Quick Hit Notes

00:00:00
- Introduction to the podcast and discussion on basketball news, portal activity, and assistant coach updates.

00:03:10
- Spring practice notes: Alan Bowman showing improvement, QB2 competition between Wrangler and Flowers.

00:07:47
- Media session with Gundy: discusses player development timelines, hybrid defensive players, and potential portal activity.

00:11:13
- Discussion on recruiting incoming players Josh Ford and Armstrong Nauta.

00:14:26
- Gundy's house for sale news and player interviews with Brennan Presley and Colin Oliver.

00:20:04
- Colin Oliver talks about defensive scheme changes, Kendall Daniels' role, and his focus on pass rushing.

00:25:34
- Colin Oliver's weight gain, Greg Richmond's coaching move, and praise for Coach Randolph.

00:27:14
- Preston Wilson's comments on Isaia Glass and insights on the new playbook.

00:27:54
- Mention of Cam Smith and Korie Black running with the ones at cornerback.

00:28:11
- Players adapting well to the new playbook, potential changes in coverage, and linebacker room overview.

00:29:27
- Speculation on defensive scheme and potential multiple formations.

00:30:01
- Long Thursday practice with focus on run game, Logan Ward's game-winning field goal, and standout players.

00:30:47
- Official visits for football recruiting, potential class size, and recent commitments.

00:31:43
- Football recruiting updates, including offers and commitments.

00:32:40
- Review of committs this week and thoughts about current recruiting targets.

00:48:46
- Introduction to basketball segment and coaching changes in OSU basketball.

00:50:10
- Overview of recent basketball coaching staff additions, including Robert Guster and Keaton Page.

00:52:49
- Retention of Keaton Page on OSU basketball staff and his ties to the program.

00:53:38
- Discussion on the experience and connections of Robert Guster in Texas basketball recruiting.

00:55:47
- Introduction of James Miller as a new assistant coach for OSU basketball.

00:56:23
- Background and coaching experience of James Miller, highlighting his success at previous programs.

00:57:27
- Speculation on potential future opportunities for assistant coaches like James Miller.

00:57:20
- Oklahoma State's potential turnaround and assistant coaches getting poached for better jobs.

00:57:48
- Praise for the basketball assistant coaching staff and their impact on the program.

00:58:17
- Turning of the tide in Oklahoma State basketball program with strong coaching staff and transfer portal targets.

00:59:19
- Players leaving and staying in the transfer portal, with Javon Small's departure noted.

01:00:59
- Overview of new players from the transfer portal, including stats and potential impact.

01:04:03
- Analysis of potential transfer targets for Oklahoma State basketball.

01:05:39
- Retirement of legendary Oklahoma State wrestling coach John Smith and Coleman Scott as interim head coach.

01:08:06
- Reflection on John Smith's legacy and impact on Oklahoma State wrestling.

01:09:15
- Upcoming games for Cowboy baseball and softball, with a focus on the excitement around baseball.

In depth notes:

00:03:03
We've had three practices as we recorded last last Saturday, then Tuesday, and then yesterday, Thursday as we're recording this on a Friday.

00:03:10
Saturday's practice just some notes kind of gathering from different spots, different media sources, two, four, seven, pokes report, Robert Allen's radio show, pistols firing.

00:03:20
And then the moment has just been looking really good, really locked in. We kind of talked about it on a previous pod.

00:03:26
He said that last year in spring, he was probably, you know, what, what steps do I take after I get the snap?

00:03:33
What is what even is the read progression and now he's had a little bit more time to he knows all that stuff now. It's automatic. So now he's digesting the defense before the snap.

00:03:43
Figuring out, you know, kind of where he can go with the football, even pre snap post snap and then trying to make some plays with his legs, but it also sounds like the QB2 competition is kind of popping off now.

00:03:56
I think both guys on Saturday, rain, Flores hit Shettron, for a touchdown, which is good to see Shettron back.

00:04:02
I think he's still wearing a green non contact Jersey, but he's out there making plays.

00:04:07
Hey, who do you think winds up as QB two? I'm sure there'll be an war on the depth chart, but who do you think is the real QB two a foul and go in where to, you know, not not trying to talk this and do existence, but if he were to go down, you think it's Rangel, then Flores

00:04:23
I mean, knowing Mike Gundy, you know, we're into lose count. I think this is year 19 year 18. It's probably going to be Wrangel. I think he values experience in the program, a little bit of loyalty also, especially in this transfer portal era.

00:04:40
I lean towards Rangel, but if Flores is doing, you know, some really, really good stuff in camp, I think that will know that number one and number two, you could end up seeing it early in the year in a non conference type of situation where maybe Rangel the second off the bench, but Flores gets kind of like the Gunnar Gundy share of snaps, you know, what I mean, like the third guy reaps the reward of being the third guy.

00:05:09
I could see that happening, but I probably would go, Rangel today.

00:05:15
Yeah, I think so too. I know there's been a lot of, you know, positive news out of the Flores camp, especially with Robert Allen going on multiple radio shows and talking about how, you know, he could see Flores taking over as soon as this year, which still I still don't really understand that comment completely.

00:05:32
But I kind of agree with you, I couldn't see Gundy just giving it to Flores unless he was performing that much better than Wrangel if Bowman were to go down.

00:05:43
So I think yeah, just seniority and what we've seen in the past makes the most sense there. So I think it's a good call by you.

00:05:49
Yeah, like we only saw Rudolph in, you know, so early in his career because of injury, but he was so good when he came in that it was like, well, there's your quarterback.

00:05:59
And that's like the only example, you know, in the last several years, I can think of where a younger guy jumped an older guy, but it was because of experience. And if that happens, then I could, I could totally see that happening, but just out of like a coaching decision, I don't, I don't see it.

00:06:18
Yeah, I agree with you there on the other side of the ball, Jaleel Johnson has apparently been one of the more impressive guys on the defensive line. I know he sacked Bowman on a play that was kind of like a coverage sack, but he made a nice move off the line on Saturday. He's been getting, he's been making a lot of noise. I think I have some other notes about him and some of the other practices and then just kind of wrap up the Saturday practice notes.

00:07:08
And then apparently Tyler Foster, the Ohio transfer tight end who we talked about a lot on here, we did a Twitter thread on. He's been looking really good. So that's kind of all the just general notes from Tuesday and Kade anything from you before we kind of get into Gundy and the players.

00:07:47
I saw one clip of Tyler Foster on Twitter the other day. And that's a big boy. I'm pretty excited to see what comes with him. Like I think the skill sets going to be pretty similar to Josiah Johnson, but he just seems bigger. So I'm excited to see how that goes.

00:08:04
And he's shown, you know, just kind of seeing him hit the sled and things like that. He's got the pop that Josiah Johnson has. So we'll see how it translates to the game.

00:08:14
Coach, Gundy was talking to the media. You know, a couple interesting quotes, Kade. One of them, you know, we always like to talk about the percentages and timelines and things like that. Gundy throws out. You know, he's talked about like, what is it?

00:08:25
15 games for a quarterback to really come into his own in his college career. He said it takes a player 18 to 24 months until they kind of get into the Oklahoma state culture and they kind of formed it into the Oklahoma state culture. It's interesting because I want to I don't really completely know what that means. But I just love that he has all these percentages and timelines that he rattles off of the top of his head.

00:08:52
And I the thing about my gun, he is you'll never convince him that there's any, you know, other possibility than that. At least that's what strikes me is like, and I actually would agree with that. Like if you look at some of the player development in the program, it's usually that mid sophomore year late sophomore early junior, where the light really starts to turn on like I think of like a guy like Jason Taylor as a great example of that.

00:09:16
So I'm sure it's all anecdotal, but yeah, I love the conviction that he speaks about it with.

00:09:23
He also mentioned it will get to this in a little bit talking about Kendall Daniels, some of the guys like that, but he mentioned how many hybrid guys they have.

00:09:31
And he almost when he was talking about it, if you watched the interview, it almost sounded like maybe it's a positive, but maybe it could also be a negative as well, like so many hybrid guys on defense.

00:09:42
He mentioned by name tie Williams, Lyra Kral's Kindle Daniels, he didn't mention by name, but he said seven. So I'm assuming he's talking about camps there. And then he said even potentially tray rucker can play like that.

00:09:54
And what he's getting at is these are guys who can maybe, you know, come down into the bots, play deep in coverage, play on the outside, run things down on the perimeter.

00:10:04
But I mean, he listed five guys and I don't know if you need five hybrid guys like that. So it was interesting to kind of talk about that and he mentioned Kindle Daniels moving all over and things of that nature.

00:10:15
So I don't think he was really meaning it as a negative thing, but I think, you know, listing off that many guys, you can kind of see they're having maybe not some issues, but they're trying to figure out where to best fit these guys and fit the scheme around this person.

00:10:31
And they have well, and when you backtrack that against like the way Oklahoma state recruits, it does seem, especially in the defensive backfield like that they kind of recruit aptitude and athleticism first.

00:10:46
And then they'll figure out where to put you. So I kind of feel like this is a product of their own doing. And again, I don't think it's a bad thing either.

00:10:53
There's another guy that like I think is maybe a little bit of a of a tweener in Cleveland, like I don't know how big he is. And they may play him at that rover at some point in his career.

00:11:05
But is that going to be the best place we have no clue. So I would say that there's at least six that come to mind in the defense of backfield alone.

00:11:13
That's not even talking about like a call and Oliver who's made a career as a tweener. So again, I think that it's it's a byproduct of the way Oklahoma state recruits in my opinion.

00:11:24
Yeah, it's a good call out on the recruiting in Cleveland. Yeah, obviously, you know, right now size wise, he is not a very big guy. So to put him in these different spots, he is a perfect definition of an incoming guy who I think fits into that hybrid player definition.

00:11:39
Gundy was talking about as well, speaking of incoming guys like Landin Cleveland, we've talked about Josh Ford already.

00:11:46
Gundy was asked who's kind of holding their own out of the incoming guys. He said on offense is Josh Ford, the still water tight end. And then he said on defense, arm, Armstrong, not him is holding his own physically.

00:11:59
He said their heads are spinning kind of scheme wise and other things like that, but both of these guys are kind of holding their own from a physicality standpoint, which it's just great to hear because those were two of the guys that we kind of called out, we were talking to Adam,

00:12:14
what Josh Ford and Armstrong Nnodim, not him are guys that you could maybe plug in play right away if you had to from a physicality standpoint, which I would expect their heads are spinning.

00:12:52
And with the portal about to open back up, you know, April 50, I think it's like April 15th, maybe it's April 16th, because it's like at midnight, it's either April 15th or April 16th and just open for 15 days going to the April 30th window, Gundy was asked about the portal and quote, he said, we have a lot of maturity and a really good cohesive team right now that's probably not going to want to expand out.

00:13:15
That doesn't mean there might not be some of them that just want an opportunity somewhere else, you're dealing with a large quantity here, there's 124 of them out here right now percentages tell you that could happen to three or four of them.

00:13:27
It sounds like Kate and you and I expect this like a couple of guys might hit the portal.

00:13:33
But I really don't think there's going to be that many and if they do, I think they're going to be guys that literally had like no shot of playing at all here, not like a guy that's in the two deep or who we think is in the two deep right now.

00:13:46
Yeah, I mean, I have heard nothing that would suggest that so I totally agree with you. It would it would be surprising to see a contributor go at this point.
Yeah, I mean, I have heard nothing that would suggest that so I totally agree with you. It would it would be surprising to see a contributor go at this point.
00:13:56
Even a Garrett, you know, you saw his Twitter reply where he said but basically I'm not getting in the portal. So he would have been one of the guys that I expected. If not him, I don't really see anywhere else where there's even that much depth.

00:14:11
Besides offensive line where you'd want somebody to leave. And if you know, if one of those younger offensive lineman leaves, I don't think that would be a huge shock, but that means it's probably not someone that's on the two deep currently.

00:14:26
Last last note on Gundy, everybody saw I'm sure his house is up for sale. He said it's too big of a house for two people.

OSU Basketball:
00:50:55
The discussion began with the announcement of the new assistant coaches, Tim McAllister and Robert Guster, who have ties to Texas and defense-first coaching styles. Guster, in particular, has extensive experience in recruiting in Texas, making him a valuable addition to the staff. The retention of Keiton Page, a beloved figure in the Oklahoma State basketball community, was also highlighted. Page's long-standing connection to the program and his role in player development over the years make him a valuable asset to the coaching staff

00:53:05
Another significant addition to the coaching staff was James Miller, who brings a wealth of experience as the former associate head coach at Mississippi State. Miller's successful track record at New Mexico State and other programs positions him as one of the most accomplished assistant coaches to join Oklahoma State in recent years

00:55:54
His hiring was seen as a major coup for the program, given his coaching pedigree and potential impact on the team's performance.

00:56:23
The collective expertise and diverse backgrounds of the new assistant coaches were praised, with the potential for significant improvements in the team's performance and recruiting efforts. The combination of Oklahoma State ties, Texas connections, defensive focus, and high-level coaching experience was seen as a strong foundation for the program's future success

00:57:39
The overall sentiment was one of excitement and optimism for the direction of the basketball program under the guidance of the new coaching staff. Oklahoma State's basketball assistant coaches are receiving recognition for their work, with the hope that they will be poached for better jobs as a sign of succes.

00:57:20
The enthusiasm for the assistant coaching staff is evident, with a belief that they are making significant contributions to the team.

00:57:39
The quality of the coaching staff is highlighted as a positive sign for the program's future, with a focus on their impact on player development and recruitment

00:57:48
The potential success of Oklahoma State in the transfer portal is seen as a reflection of the program's competitiveness within the conference

00:57:59
The positive changes within the coaching staff are seen as a turning point for the program, with optimism for the team's future success

00:58:17
The departure of certain players from the team is discussed, with a focus on the impact of their absence and the potential for other players to step up

00:59:06
The uncertainty surrounding player decisions in the transfer portal is acknowledged, with a recognition of the potential for changes leading up to the May 1st deadline

00:59:19
The discussion shifts to specific players who are likely to remain on the roster, with a focus on their contributions to the team

00:59:37
The departure of Javon Small is noted, with an acknowledgment of his potential success in the NIL market despite his departure from the team.

01:00:00
The introduction of new players through the transfer portal is detailed, with a breakdown of their stats and potential impact on the team.

01:00:59
The analysis of potential recruits focuses on their fit within the team and the likelihood of them joining Oklahoma State.

01:01:18
The discussion highlights the importance of recruiting players who align with the team's needs and playing style.

01:01:32
The evaluation of potential recruits emphasizes the importance of finding players who can contribute to the team's success.

OSU Wrestling:

01:01:52
The retirement of Oklahoma State wrestling coach John Smith is announced, with recognition of his legendary status in the sport. Coleman Scott will be interim HC.

01:06:10
Smith's impressive coaching record and achievements are highlighted, emphasizing his legacy in the sport of wrestling.

01:06:42
. The discussion reflects on Smith's contributions to Oklahoma State wrestling and his status as a wrestling icon

01:07:25
The conversation shifts to upcoming sports events, including baseball and softball games, with a focus on the team's performance and potential challenges.

01:08:57
The anticipation for future games and the excitement surrounding the teams' performances are highlighted.

Is there a way to hide these 10000 word transcripts of this podcast? It's murder on my scrolling finger trying to get to the end of them.

Is there a way to hide these 10000 word transcripts of this podcast? It's murder on my scrolling finger trying to get to the end of them.
Best thing is to just go listen to it if you have the time! I like Dustin and his breakdowns, the other guy is just kind of meh!😑

Back