2024 Spring Football Thread

I’ve been hearing rumors that they’ll be playing a lot more of the 4-2-5 look. Couple different ways they can get to that. Could slide the front 3 and roll down Oliver to a stand up edge like he did most of his fresh and Soph years and roll down Daniels to play that hybrid safety/OLB spot. Or they could sub out one of the LB’s or safeties and bring in an additional DL.

I’ve been hearing rumors that they’ll be playing a lot more of the 4-2-5 look. Couple different ways they can get to that. Could slide the front 3 and roll down Oliver to a stand up edge like he did most of his fresh and Soph years and roll down Daniels to play that hybrid safety/OLB spot. Or they could sub out one of the LB’s or safeties and bring in an additional DL.
Didn't we specifically target our DC for his 3-man front? So is this to counter run-heavy teams or to be able to adjust more in game and not a wholesale change to base defense?

Didn't we specifically target our DC for his 3-man front? So is this to counter run-heavy teams or to be able to adjust more in game and not a wholesale change to base defense?
It seems like it’s almost a tinker toy. Roll Oliver and Daniels out there and move one down to end and the other down to LB giving you a range of unpredictability.

Justin Wright is back too and is trimmed down another 10lbs. Even more depth in the middle which can let Nick run, Kendall run and Oliver get after the QB. Could see all of them on the field in a package I bet.
We played a ton of youth on the backend last year. I know we will miss Nathan, Xavier Benson and Goodlow up front but I think our defense can really take big steps forward next year. I like the young ends we have and think the middle can be good.

Justin Wright is back too and is trimmed down another 10lbs. Even more depth in the middle which can let Nick run, Kendall run and Oliver get after the QB. Could see all of them on the field in a package I bet.
Exactly. I think the defense will be greatly improved this coming year. Not saying it will be what it was Knowles last year but we’ll be improved.

Everybody runs hybrid fronts nowadays. The 3-3-5 can be a run stopping D. However you need 3 big stoppers in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coaches shouldn’t be so tied to a system that they can’t adapt to the personnel that they have.

Coaches shouldn’t be so tied to a system that they can’t adapt to the personnel that they have.
Agree, but Gundy was VERY clear he was looking for someone to run an odd front. It didn't go well in year 1, so I was wondering if we were abandoning what had been so important last off-season or if this was just a sub package.

Back