2024 Spring Football Thread

Last week's Podcast Notes

00:5:12
But I think that Alan Bowman is a solid choice for the starting quarterback position. He has shown potential and has the experience to lead the team. The turnover stats are a concern, but with the right support and coaching, he can improve in that area. The depth in the quarterback room is also a positive sign for the team moving forward. The addition of Maleukai Smith as a scholarship player adds to the competition and potential for growth in the position. Overall, the quarterback room looks promising for the 2024 season.

00:32:45
The quarterback room at OSU is looking promising with Alan Bowman leading the group. With solid depth and potential portal entries, there is room for improvement in completion percentage, interceptions, and touchdowns. Despite some accuracy issues, there is hope for increased production if interceptions are reduced. Bowman's strong accuracy and potential for increased touchdown numbers make him a promising quarterback moving forward. The focus is on decreasing interceptions and improving decision-making to enhance overall production.

00:36:51
The running back position at OSU sees the departure of key players like Elijah Collins and Jaden Nixon, but Ollie Gordon's return brings stability to the group. With new additions like AJ Green and Jaden Allen Hendrix, there is potential for increased depth and production in the running back room. Ollie Gordon's role as a key player in the offense is crucial, and his performance will be essential for the team's success. The running back position shows promise with a mix of returning players and new additions, setting the stage for a competitive season.

00:38:19
The wide receiver group at OSU faces significant production losses with departures like Arlan Bruce IV and Blaine Green. However, returning players like Brennan Presley and De'Zuan Stribling provide stability and potential for growth. The addition of new players like Dewan Lofton and Trey Griffiths adds depth and competition to the receiving corps. The focus is on developing young talent and maximizing the potential of key players to ensure a strong performance from the wide receiver group.

00:46:04
The tight end and fullback positions at OSU face challenges with the departure of key players like Josiah Johnson. The need for a replacement with similar blocking and receiving abilities is crucial for the team's success. Players like Tyler Foster have the opportunity to step up and fill the void left by Johnson, providing a balance of blocking and receiving skills. The health and performance of the tight end and fullback positions will play a significant role in the team's offensive strategy and success.

00:53:45
- The discussion begins with a focus on the offensive position group, specifically the fullback position, highlighting the importance of Tyler Foster's performance and health in potentially changing the dynamics of the group

00:58:20
- Transitioning to the defensive line, the conversation delves into the significant departures from the previous season and the return of key players, discussing the performance concerns from the previous year and the potential impact of new additions to the group

00:59:32
- The discussion then shifts to the defensive end rotation, with a focus on the potential impact of players like Waltersheid, Ross, Forman, Brown, Johnson, and Dean, and the importance of establishing a cohesive rotation strategy for the defensive line

01:01:52
- The conversation moves on to the linebacker position, highlighting the departures of key players like Goodlow and Latu, and discussing the potential impact of players like Brown, Johnson, and Oliver in shaping the performance of the group

01:08:17
- The discussion on linebackers continues with a focus on the depth chart and potential rotations, emphasizing the need for younger players to step up and contribute to the group's success

01:10:27
- The conversation then transitions to the defensive backs, discussing the returning players and newcomers in the group, highlighting the depth and experience present in the secondary and the potential for improvement from the previous season

01:15:05
- The discussion on defensive backs extends to the safety position, exploring potential lineup configurations and rotations, emphasizing the importance of finding the right balance between size and athleticism in the secondary

01:18:25
- The conversation concludes with a focus on potential additions like Kobe Hilton and Landon Cleveland, discussing their potential impact on the defensive backfield and the importance of rotational strategies for maximizing the group's performance

01:20:49
- The dialogue highlights the excitement and anticipation for the upcoming season, particularly in observing the development and performance of the defensive backfield, emphasizing the potential for growth and success in the group

01:17:22
Kendall Daniels is in a good situation as a linebacker, but there is still competition for the sixth spot in the lineup, with players like Ty Williams and Dylan Smith vying for it. The six established players include Rucker, Rawls, and Epps, leaving room for rotation and competition. Players like Ray and Cleveland, Cam Franklin, and Ty Williams are highlighted as strong contenders for playing time.

01:21:56
The discussion shifts to favorite players from the recruiting class, with Kabango and Ladanian Fields standing out in the defensive backfield. Both players are praised for their potential impact on the team, with Fields being seen as a future starting corner. Jacobi Oliphant is also mentioned for his impressive physical attributes as a six-foot-four cornerback.

01:23:14
Predictions for the upcoming season are optimistic, with both Cade and Dustin predicting a 10-2 record for the team. The challenging schedule is acknowledged, but the team's culture, resilience, and continuity are seen as key factors in their potential success. The previous year's performance and the return of key players contribute to the confidence in the team's abilities.

Last edited:

Here is this past weeks' rendition of the Feels Like 45 Podcast Notes.

00:5:12
But I think that Alan Bowman is a solid choice for the starting quarterback position. He has shown potential and has the experience to lead the team. The turnover stats are a concern, but with the right support and coaching, he can improve in that area. The depth in the quarterback room is also a positive sign for the team moving forward. The addition of Maleukai Smith as a scholarship player adds to the competition and potential for growth in the position. Overall, the quarterback room looks promising for the 2024 season.

00:32:45
The quarterback room at Washington is looking promising with Allen Bowman leading the group. With solid depth and potential portal entries, there is room for improvement in completion percentage, interceptions, and touchdowns. Despite some accuracy issues, there is hope for increased production if interceptions are reduced. Bowman's strong accuracy and potential for increased touchdown numbers make him a promising quarterback moving forward. The focus is on decreasing interceptions and improving decision-making to enhance overall production.

00:36:51
The running back position at OSU sees the departure of key players like Elijah Collins and Jaden Nixon, but Ollie Gordon's return brings stability to the group. With new additions like AJ Green and Jaden Allen Hendrix, there is potential for increased depth and production in the running back room. Oli Gordon's role as a key player in the offense is crucial, and his performance will be essential for the team's success. The running back position shows promise with a mix of returning players and new additions, setting the stage for a competitive season.

00:38:19
The wide receiver group at Washington faces significant production losses with departures like Arlan Bruce IV and Blaine Green. However, returning players like Brennan Presley and De'Zuan Stribling provide stability and potential for growth. The addition of new players like Dewan Lofton and Trey Griffiths adds depth and competition to the receiving corps. The focus is on developing young talent and maximizing the potential of key players to ensure a strong performance from the wide receiver group.

00:46:04
The tight end and fullback positions at OSU face challenges with the departure of key players like Josiah Johnson. The need for a replacement with similar blocking and receiving abilities is crucial for the team's success. Players like Tyler Foster have the opportunity to step up and fill the void left by Johnson, providing a balance of blocking and receiving skills. The health and performance of the tight end and fullback positions will play a significant role in the team's offensive strategy and success.

00:53:45
- The discussion begins with a focus on the offensive position group, specifically the fullback position, highlighting the importance of Tyler Foster's performance and health in potentially changing the dynamics of the group
00:58:20
- Transitioning to the defensive line, the conversation delves into the significant departures from the previous season and the return of key players, discussing the performance concerns from the previous year and the potential impact of new additions to the group

00:59:32
- The discussion then shifts to the defensive end rotation, with a focus on the potential impact of players like Walter Shidler, Ross, Forman, Brown, Johnson, and Dean, and the importance of establishing a cohesive rotation strategy for the defensive line

01:01:52
- The conversation moves on to the linebacker position, highlighting the departures of key players like Goodlow and Latu, and discussing the potential impact of players like Brown, Johnson, and Oliver in shaping the performance of the group

01:08:17
- The discussion on linebackers continues with a focus on the depth chart and potential rotations, emphasizing the need for younger players to step up and contribute to the group's success

01:10:27
- The conversation then transitions to the defensive backs, discussing the returning players and newcomers in the group, highlighting the depth and experience present in the secondary and the potential for improvement from the previous season

01:15:05
- The discussion on defensive backs extends to the safety position, exploring potential lineup configurations and rotations, emphasizing the importance of finding the right balance between size and athleticism in the secondary

01:18:25
- The conversation concludes with a focus on potential additions like Kobe Hilton and Landon Cleveland, discussing their potential impact on the defensive backfield and the importance of rotational strategies for maximizing the group's performance

01:20:49
- The dialogue highlights the excitement and anticipation for the upcoming season, particularly in observing the development and performance of the defensive backfield, emphasizing the potential for growth and success in the group

01:17:22
Kendall Daniels is in a good situation as a linebacker, but there is still competition for the sixth spot in the lineup, with players like Thai Williams and Dylan Smith vying for it. The six established players include Rucker, Rawls, and Eps, leaving room for rotation and competition. Players like Ray and Cleveland, Cam Franklin, and Ty Williams are highlighted as strong contenders for playing time.

01:21:56
The discussion shifts to favorite players from the recruiting class, with Cabango and Lydanian Fields standing out in the defensive backfield. Both players are praised for their potential impact on the team, with Fields being seen as a future starting corner. Jacobi Olafont is also mentioned for his impressive physical attributes as a six-foot-four cornerback.

01:23:14
Predictions for the upcoming season are optimistic, with both speakers predicting a 10-2 record for the team. The challenging schedule is acknowledged, but the team's culture, resilience, and continuity are seen as key factors in their potential success. The previous year's performance and the return of key players contribute to the confidence in the team's abilities.

01:24:46
The conversation wraps up with gratitude towards the guest speaker, Adam, for sharing insights on the team and the recruiting class. The hosts express appreciation for the opportunity to discuss football and break down the team's prospects. The camaraderie and learning experience of the podcast are highlighted as reasons for the enjoyment of the discussion.
Hmmm, no mention of two guys that were extremely important during the second half of the season, Rashod Owens at receiver and Sesi Vailahi at running back!!! I am surprised Adam didn’t emphasize their importance but I didn’t listen to the broadcast!!! 🤔

Hmmm, no mention of two guys that were extremely important during the second half of the season, Rashod Owens at receiver and Sesi Vailahi at running back!!! I am surprised Adam didn’t emphasize their importance but I didn’t listen to the broadcast!!! 🤔
They discussed Owens a good amount, but didn't say much about Vailahi. Both are expected to contribute next year.

I think Owens' return is bigger than Stribling. Owens was only 96 receiving yards behind Presley despite hardly playing the first 4 games.

Stribling will go back to his role that Leon Johnson was playing. Jump balls and 15-yard sideline throws.

It wouldn't surprise me if Pres/Owens/Stribling combine for 2700 yards if they all stay healthy including the QB.

I think Owens' return is bigger than Stribling. Owens was only 96 receiving yards behind Presley despite hardly playing the first 4 games.

Stribling will go back to his role that Leon Johnson was playing. Jump balls and 15-yard sideline throws.

It wouldn't surprise me if Pres/Owens/Stribling combine for 2700 yards if they all stay healthy including the QB.
Owens is the heart and soul of this team. Definitely became my favorite Cowboy the last half of the season.

Pretty amazing how many starters and the depth we have coming back on offense. Online will be a legitimate two-deep with two or three others who could contribute significantly. QB depth, RB depth with the addition of A.J. Green. WR's back. If the defense can improve immensely, it could be a special season.

All this talk got me a little fired up so I've been rewatching all of the offensive snaps from last year. (Thanks BigDave)

We all know what we have in Bowman, Ollie and the O-line for the most part, so I've been focusing on recievers.

Presley is amazing and Owens is a beast, but we all knew that. What stood out to me is how good Stribling was early in the year. He was wr1. His play is somewhere between Tylan and Tay. If he's healed, he's going to be huge.

Shettron made some plays and you can see the talent but I need to see more before he can be trusted in big moments.

Bray. Man, so frustrating. He has nfl talent, but goodness he ran the wrong route or dropped easy balls way, way more than anyone else. The sky is the limit for him but i don't see how you trust him enough to be on the field when it matters. Good luck to him at WVU. Hope he figures it out.

Leon was awesome. He will be missed. Really would have been cool to see him with another year under Dunn.

Green could never stay healthy long enough to settle into a role. Hope he dominates at the lower level.

Looking to next year, I'm excited to see if we find another slot to go 4 wide (Andrews or Pope?) and to see who from the young guys (Heard) and the transfer can find a way on the field, but if Stribling, Owens and Presley stay healthy, our passing game will be lethal.

Spring should be fun for these guys.

All this talk got me a little fired up so I've been rewatching all of the offensive snaps from last year. (Thanks BigDave)

We all know what we have in Bowman, Ollie and the O-line for the most part, so I've been focusing on recievers.

Presley is amazing and Owens is a beast, but we all knew that. What stood out to me is how good Stribling was early in the year. He was wr1. His play is somewhere between Tylan and Tay. If he's healed, he's going to be huge.

Shettron made some plays and you can see the talent but I need to see more before he can be trusted in big moments.

Bray. Man, so frustrating. He has nfl talent, but goodness he ran the wrong route or dropped easy balls way, way more than anyone else. The sky is the limit for him but i don't see how you trust him enough to be on the field when it matters. Good luck to him at WVU. Hope he figures it out.

Leon was awesome. He will be missed. Really would have been cool to see him with another year under Dunn.

Green could never stay healthy long enough to settle into a role. Hope he dominates at the lower level.

Looking to next year, I'm excited to see if we find another slot to go 4 wide (Andrews or Pope?) and to see who from the young guys (Heard) and the transfer can find a way on the field, but if Stribling, Owens and Presley stay healthy, our passing game will be lethal.

Spring should be fun for these guys.
Our starting WR's are great, but we have very little proven depth behind them. Our OOC schedule is probably going to limit their snaps early in the season unless there are injuries. We need at least 2-3 guys to step up to provide that depth.

Our starting WR's are great, but we have very little proven depth behind them. Our OOC schedule is probably going to limit their snaps early in the season unless there are injuries. We need at least 2-3 guys to step up to provide that depth.
I'm guessing Heard and Shettron on the outside and Lofton or Andrews in the slot.

Haven't seen a line lately, but way early Big 12 projections I saw a month or so back had us 6th, and O/U on wins was 6.5. I'm not a gambler but my lord I'd take that O/U in a heartbeat.

Haven't seen a line lately, but way early Big 12 projections I saw a month or so back had us 6th, and O/U on wins was 6.5. I'm not a gambler but my lord I'd take that O/U in a heartbeat.
I did last year, easiest money I've ever made in Vegas. This year will be even easier. :ROFLMAO:

I just don’t understand that with all of the offense that is coming back unless Vegas expects the defense to be a complete and total disaster.

I just don’t understand that with all of the offense that is coming back unless Vegas expects the defense to be a complete and total disaster.
One of the guys I work with is a big CU booster, so we're talking Big 12 all the time now and looking forward to the matchup here in Boulder. He's really been looking into the other teams in the league and just keeps saying the same thing you are-'What am I missing about OSU? They should be really good and I'm hoping the game in Boulder is for a shot in the championship game.'

Now, other Buff fans I talk to, well I don't think they're giving Manhattan or Ames or Lubbock much credence as tough places to win.

Back