2024 Spring Football Thread

I just don’t understand that with all of the offense that is coming back unless Vegas expects the defense to be a complete and total disaster.

Inconsistent QB play and the memory of the USA and UCF games. Hard to get to carried away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Inconsistent QB play and the memory of the USA and UCF games. Hard to get to carried away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The beginning of of the 2023 season had the three headed monster at QB. 2024 has a clear starter who got in a lot of reps.

The incoming RB from Arkansas should give some depth behind Ollie that was lacking last year. The O-line will be intact.

The beginning of of the 2023 season had the three headed monster at QB. 2024 has a clear starter who got in a lot of reps.

The incoming RB from Arkansas should give some depth behind Ollie that was lacking last year. The O-line will be intact.
I just hope Vegas doesn't know more than us when it comes to what is about to go down with the transfer portal.

After the chaos of the 2022 season and then watching the great satan go through it as well, I just don’t get caught up in what these young clowns are doing. Whomever is on the roster the Aug 31is who I’ll root for.

Exactly how I feel. Portal, NIL, tampering...all of it I dislike. Come August rosters are set and its go time. The reason I'm pumped about the new Big 12 is that we are on par with the upper tier in the league and all the crap will work itself out.

FYI, paywall

Oklahoma State Cowboys

i

After a semi-promising start in Bryan Nardo's first season as coordinator, Oklahoma State's defense ran out of gas late in 2023, a victim of injuries up front and what seemed like poor depth in the back. The Cowboys allowed 7.1 yards per play over their last six games, an average so gaudy that it suggests they were lucky to allow only 34.2 points per game in that span. Regardless, after slipping from 17th to 47th in defensive SP+ in 2022, they fell even further, to 69th. That they still won 10 games tells you how impressive their offense became with workhorse back Ollie Gordon -- they averaged 39 points per game in their last seven wins -- but the defense was a weak link.

One year's injuries and depth issues, however, can become another year's depth. OSU ranks second in returning defensive production, returning 11 of 15 players with 250-plus snaps, plus initial 2023 starting safety Lyrik Rawls, who was injured after three games. Linebackers Nick Martin and Colin Oliver are shop-wreckers (combined: 33 TFLs, 12 sacks, two interceptions and five breakups on a bad defense), and they will be surrounded by juniors and seniors. Nardo, having moved up from the Division II coaching ranks last year, has his feet wet now as well. OSU is projected 20th overall in SP+, and that's with a defense just outside the top 40. If the Cowboys rediscover their 2022 form on that side of the ball, they become Big 12 favorites.

Oklahoma State has 'a potential star' QB in Maealiuaki Smith​

Maealiuaki Smith spring practice

Oklahoma State true freshman quarterback Maealiuaki Smith enrolled early and is taking part in OSU’s spring practice, which began Tuesday at the Sherman E. Smith Training Center.
Every team wants the next Tom Brady. Oklahoma State true freshman quarterback Maealiuaki Smith isn’t that, but the comparisons are inevitable.
Smith played high school football at Junipero Serra in San Mateo, California. He is the school’s first Power Five quarterback since Brady in 1995 and first player ever to graduate early.
OSU coach Mike Gundy couldn’t talk about him during his early signing day press conference in December because Serra’s ceremony was two hours later. The News Press asked Gundy before the first spring practice on Tuesday why his staff recruited Smith.

“Versatile, moves well, mature, is going to have good size,” Gundy said. “We’re a ways away, but I like the toolset and what the potential could bring.”
Smith was the starter at Inderkum High School in Sacramento as a freshman and transferred to Serra as a sophomore. He was the backup to a three-year varsity starter.
“He struggled through not starting, which I think is really healthy in today’s world, where a bunch of quarterbacks are spoon-fed and handed things,” Serra coach Patrick Walsh said. “He had to work.”
Serra didn’t lose a Northern California game in Smith’s junior and senior years. It lost two state championships to Mater Dei and St. John Boscoe, which Walsh called junior NFL teams.
“They don’t really count for me, frankly,” he said. “It doesn’t sound right coming out of my mouth that way, but when the business plans of certain high schools are polar opposite, you get blowouts in state championship games that way.”
ESPN listed Smith as the No. 22 quarterback in the Class of 2024, and On3 had him as the No. 36 player in California.
He chose Oklahoma State over reported offers from 19 other Power Five programs, including one from Florida State before his first high school snap. Walsh said another college scout watched Smith make two throws, offered him a scholarship and left.

“I’ve never seen a kid throw a football like this,” he said. “There’s an effortless motion to his throwing that makes it seem like he was born to throw a football. It’s a beautiful thing.
“Combine that with the college football program – the strength and conditioning, nutrition, the culture – you have a potential star here on your hands.”
The last one, Walsh said, will be most important in Smith’s development.
The Smith family and Walsh visited Stillwater in June and met with offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn and quarterbacks coach Tim Rattay. Walsh said Smith loved the visit.
“Getting out of the Bay Area and into a whole new environment and being enveloped in the cowboy culture is going to be perfect for Maealiuaki,” Walsh said. “We say we’re built on brotherhood here at Serra, and football relationships are at the center of what we do here. I felt some very similar vibes when it came to Coach Gundy and his crew.”
It has been several years since an OSU quarterback had a unanimous approval rating. Mason Rudolph was probably the last one.
Alan Bowman is the presumed starter for his seventh year of college football. The job in 2025, for now, is wide open.

If Smith wins it, Walsh expects OSU fans to quickly latch on.
“He’s got all of the talent in the world, particularly when it comes to making every single throw on the field,” he said. “He’s extremely tough in the pocket. He’s taken some massive hits. He stands in there, he delivers the ball and I just think he gets better as things get tougher. And I think that’s a perfect fit for the Oklahoma State crowd.”

Quick Hit Notes:

00:00:00
- Introduction to the podcast and discussion about the coaching search for Oklahoma State Basketball

00:01:34
- Hiring of Steve Lutz from Western Kentucky as the new head coach

00:02:30
- Comparison of Lutz to other coaching candidates like DeVries and Sprinkle

00:05:21
- Discussion on Lutz's coaching history and experience

00:09:03
- Lutz's coaching background and previous coaching positions

00:12:39
- Lutz's success in turning around programs at Texas A&M Corpus Christi and Western Kentucky

00:16:49
- Personal background and connections of Steve Lutz

00:20:03
- Interesting connections and relationships of Steve Lutz in the coaching world

00:23:39
- Discussion on Lutz's coaching philosophy, stats, and schemes

00:24:11
- Discussion on Oklahoma State basketball making a jump

00:25:03
- Focus on three-point defense stats and turnovers for Oklahoma State

00:26:04
- Texas A&M CC team stats comparison to Western Kentucky

00:27:01
- Mention of power five transfers on Western Kentucky's roster

00:27:55
- Recruiting background and international recruiting experience of the coach

00:30:29
- Speculation on the potential contract for the new coach

00:31:26
- Offensive scheme details including motion offense and transition plays

00:35:10
- Defensive strategy simplicity and aggressiveness

00:36:57
- Potential assistant coaches from Western Kentucky

00:42:38
- Introduction to Oklahoma State spring football practice

00:44:45
- Discussion on depth chart and potential movements in the team

00:46:59
- Update on players and positions in spring football practice

00:47:38
- Isaia Glass running with the first team in practice at RT

00:47:12
- Standouts at practice: Willie Nelson, David Kabango

00:47:24
- Tyler Foster taking first team reps, performing well

00:48:23
- Offensive line strength with depth and talent

00:49:00
- Backup receiver room depth concerns

00:51:00
- Gundy optimistic about team, good mood

00:52:31
- Alan Bowman transforming body, lost weight

00:53:27
- Newcomer Josh Ford impressing at tight end

00:54:24
- Greg Richmond praised despite coaching change

00:55:15
- Player insights: Ollie, Nick Martin, Joe Michalsky, Justin Kirkland

00:58:30
- Joe Mitchalsky had most snaps in Power 5, no sacks allowed

00:59:33
- Justin Kirkland excited about new four down front

Detailed Notes:

00:00:47
- This whole podcast is going to be immortalized as the greatest jinx in Oklahoma state history. We jinx ourselves last time.

00:01:03
- I mean it how could you not be great after this you know two week long, you know, are they gonna get
Darian DeVries, Danny Sprinkle or make a run at Bill Self

00:01:34
- We're just gonna jump right into it because I'm super pumped to talk about it. I think they got their guy

00:01:37
- Utah state we last week on the pod you and I broke down

00:01:47
- Her or those around you love yeah, so we broke them down

00:02:30
- Which throughout this whole coaching search there's been several guys you and I've liked though where we've landed in Steve Lutz from Western Kentucky

00:02:50
- I personally like I love it the only thing that made me mad during this coaching search though is that West Virginia got DeVries and his son Tucker, immediately bringing one of the top, if not the top portal xfer.

00:03:36
I recommend listening to all of this podcast for the breakdown, because there are a lot of specifics shared, but if you are time crunched, just listen to this part of the podcast about Lutz.

The conversation begins with a detailed analysis of the coaching career of a basketball coach, focusing on various statistical aspects, including team tempo, defensive performance, turnovers, and three-point defense. The speaker highlights the coach's ability to maintain respectable defensive metrics despite coaching at smaller schools and discusses the significance of effective three-point defense in evaluating defensive success.

Furthermore, Cade and Dustin delve into Lutz's recruiting background, noting his experience in recruiting both domestically and internationally. They speculate on the potential impact of the coach's recruiting prowess, particularly in light of rumored financial investments in the program.

The conversation also addresses the coach's offensive strategies, emphasizing his preference for a fast-paced transition game and a read-and-react offense. Specific offensive actions such as the "Carolina break" and "zoom action" are discussed in detail, along with the importance of player adaptability and understanding offensive progressions.

Moreover, potential challenges that the coach may face, such as transitioning to a more competitive conference and improving late-game execution, are examined. The speaker speculates on the coach's ability to attract talented players and succeed in a higher-level conference.

The coach's defensive philosophy is also explored, highlighting simplicity, aggressiveness, and player effort as key components. The speaker discusses the coach's approach to defensive drills and strategies, emphasizing progressive learning and player development.

Additionally, potential assistant coaches the coach may bring with him to the new program are mentioned, focusing on their recruiting expertise and collaborative approach to coaching. The speaker praises the coach's willingness to listen to his assistants and adapt his coaching strategies based on their feedback.

Overall, the conversation reflects a deep appreciation for the coach's coaching style, recruiting acumen, and potential impact on the new program. Cade and Dustin expresses excitement and optimism about the coach's potential to elevate the program's performance through his coaching strategies and recruiting efforts.

00:26:45
Switches topics to Spring Football. Willie Nelson, David Kabango have been standing out at practice. Apparently Paul Randolph is very loud, vocal, in your face, and hands-on, which the players seem to like. Tyler Foster (TE) is taking all the first-team reps and looks as good as expected from his time at Ohio

00:47:12
Isaia Glass is running with the ones, confirmed by Robert Allen and starting center Joe Mitchalsky There may be a chance that Jake Springfield gets some reps at guard, which would be very interesting. The offensive line unit seems to be becoming a strength of the team, with a stacked lineup and depth

00:47:14
The offensive line lineup includes Dalton Cooper, Jason Brooks, Joe Mitchalsky, Preston Wilson, and Isaia Glass. It's impressive to see a player like Glass to beat out a multiple-year starter like Jake Springfield, who is known for his technical skills on the offensive line. The depth of the offensive line includes players like Co-Burningham, Jake Springfield, Taylor Miterko, and up-and-comers like McKinney, Koecky, Davis, Dotson, Jack, Endean, Jacobi Sanders, and Calvin Harvey

00:47:21
Gundy met with the media and discussed the difference in the number of new players this spring compared to last year. He seems to be in a good mood, which could be a positive sign for the team. He also mentioned the transformation of Alan Bowman's body and the depth of the wide receiver room. Gundy's positive attitude and confidence in the team's potential are notable

00:49:06
Kenneth Harris, a defensive back transfer from Arkansas State, has been making plays. Behind the struggling Presley and Owens, players like Lofton, Pope, Andrews, and Heard are expected to step up. Cale Cabbiness, despite not having made a significant impact yet, could be a valuable player in case of injuries, given his versatility and trust from the coaches

00:49:36
Ollie, Nick Martin, Joe Mitchalsky and Justin Kirkland shared insights from their perspective. Ollie praised AJ Green and shared personal goals, while Nick Martin discussed the potential position change of Chandelier Nails. Joe Mitchalsky's high snap count and impressive performance without allowing a sack were highlighted. Justin Kirkland expressed optimism about the new defensive front freeing him up for more opportunities

00:55:15
Gundy mentioned the importance of new blood in the coaching staff and the need for a change in direction. He praised Greg Richmond but emphasized the reasons for the coaching change. He also mentioned the cautious approach with Stribling's hand injury and the impact it may have on his participation in spring activities. The players' perspectives on various topics, including the NCAA game and personal goals, provided valuable insights into their mindset and preparation for the upcoming season

The biggest takeaway from spring football so far is that the ASU transfer Isaia Glass has taken the RT starting position from Jake Springfield.

The biggest takeaway from spring football so far is that the ASU transfer Isaia Glass has taken the RT starting position from Jake Springfield.
TE is the only real remaining question on O. (I'm less concerned and more excited about the WR depth). If Foster is close to what Johnson brought, we're going to be good.

I did catch a little nugget about Daniels working some in Benson's spot. I think he would dominate there. If that works out it opens a lot of options for the back end.

Back