OSU at KU

A few corrections on this. Brown, while a hell of a college player and one of my favorites, was not a first round pick (second round, number 44 pick that ended up with the Nets). Murphy was not even remotely in the same universe as Cobbins was athletically or defensively. Outside of Ford's coaching, the Cobbins injury was the defacto reason we didn't do MUCH better that season. We didn't have any reasonable post presence after he went down. Like nothing...

During that 7 game loss streak, while only one of them was a blow out, 5 of them were one or two possession games. Looking deeper, the other 4 losses that season outside of the NCAA tourny, were ALL 1 possession games. In most of those L's, the forwards & centers on the opposing team had big rebounding and scoring numbers. Unfortunately, a single bit of quality post play would have yielded massive dividends for that team. Was a rough season for my wife since she had to sit next to me in the arena during most of those losses.

O-what could have been. šŸ˜­
Not sure why I thought Brown was drafted late 1st. I was surprised he didn't stick and would have to search his name to find out if he was even on the roster.

I agree about Cobbins injury being huge, that is why I mentioned it. It was like someone turned out the lights on this team after that happened. Kind of like what happened with the Marcus Dove cheap shot injury from Tennessee in 2005-2006.

I agree the biggest loss concerning Cobbins was the defensive side.
However, Nash pulled in 5.5 rebounds per game and Murphy averaged 6+ rebounds per game (both more than Cobbins)
Plus Murphy had a good 10 foot shot that the other team's big would have to come out to defend.
Williams was a few inches shorter than Cobbins, but he could jump out of the gym and was probably more athletic than Cobbins.

I still think between Murphy, Nash, and Williams, Travis Ford should have been able to do more to fill in for Cobbins' absence.

As for the losing streak, it was still a 7 game losing streak with Travis Ford.
Boynton has 7 losses by 5 points or less and 2 were in OT, they are still loses even though they were 1 to 2 possession games. This is one of the reasons people want to see him gone. So with your argument, do you think Boynton should keep coaching since they are 1 to 2 possession losses and shouldn't count against him? :devilish:

Not sure why I thought Brown was drafted late 1st. I was surprised he didn't stick and would have to search his name to find out if he was even on the roster.

I agree about Cobbins injury being huge, that is why I mentioned it. It was like someone turned out the lights on this team after that happened. Kind of like what happened with the Marcus Dove cheap shot injury from Tennessee in 2005-2006.

I agree the biggest loss concerning Cobbins was the defensive side.
However, Nash pulled in 5.5 rebounds per game and Murphy averaged 6+ rebounds per game (both more than Cobbins)
Plus Murphy had a good 10 foot shot that the other team's big would have to come out to defend.
Williams was a few inches shorter than Cobbins, but he could jump out of the gym and was probably more athletic than Cobbins.

I still think between Murphy, Nash, and Williams, Travis Ford should have been able to do more to fill in for Cobbins' absence.

As for the losing streak, it was still a 7 game losing streak with Travis Ford.
Boynton has 7 losses by 5 points or less and 2 were in OT, they are still loses even though they were 1 to 2 possession games. This is one of the reasons people want to see him gone. So with your argument, do you think Boynton should keep coaching since they are 1 to 2 possession losses and shouldn't count against him? :devilish:
Good points. My counter on Williams was that he absolutely collapsed that season. Personal opinion, but I think he had more potential than Brown the way he played earlier in his time at OSU. Not sure what happened to his game for him to just disappear like he did.

No one wishes Ford had done more with that roster than I. Ford still had plenty of terrible, if not oblivious, coaching decisions. Triple OT vs ISU that year in GIA: Kane had his 4th foul at the end of the first OT and we didn't drive/attack him with the dribble for the remainder of the game. He was absolutely killing us and we allowed him to play soft defense for the rest of the OT's.

The close losses we have this season are to garbage teams that we should have typically been able to run out of the building. The conference losses however, oooof. To me that is the stark difference between the two squads in question.

Ultimately, I think we are both in agreement on the current state of things. No question in my mind; Boynton needs to go. The offense and overall game management under his tenure has been utter trash, save for a number 1 draft pick. And even that season, we had too much hero ball b/c the offensive system was...??? I'm still shocked that someone who coached with Underdouche for so many years would not have picked up at least some version of his offensive scheme.

Good points. My counter on Williams was that he absolutely collapsed that season. Personal opinion, but I think he had more potential than Brown the way he played earlier in his time at OSU. Not sure what happened to his game for him to just disappear like he did.

No one wishes Ford had done more with that roster than I. Ford still had plenty of terrible, if not oblivious, coaching decisions. Triple OT vs ISU that year in GIA: Kane had his 4th foul at the end of the first OT and we didn't drive/attack him with the dribble for the remainder of the game. He was absolutely killing us and we allowed him to play soft defense for the rest of the OT's.

The close losses we have this season are to garbage teams that we should have typically been able to run out of the building. The conference losses however, oooof. To me that is the stark difference between the two squads in question.

Ultimately, I think we are both in agreement on the current state of things. No question in my mind; Boynton needs to go. The offense and overall game management under his tenure has been utter trash, save for a number 1 draft pick. And even that season, we had too much hero ball b/c the offensive system was...??? I'm still shocked that someone who coached with Underdouche for so many years would not have picked up at least some version of his offensive scheme.
Your last statement is what frustrates me the most. He worked with Underwood and Frank Martin, two guys that teach their teams some of the most disciplined basketball that exists in this new modern era. Yet none of it stuck with him.

If I remember correctly, Williams hurt his thumb or wrist and never really recovered from it. He just kind of faded away.

(Just peeked at Sports Ref, looks like an injury his Sophomore year 2012-13.
2011-12 9.6pts/game,
2012-13 4.1pts/g, only 14 games
2013-14 6.2pts/g, then transferred out.
Never really recovered from the injury)

Good discussion. Iā€™ve noticed we agree about 99% of the time.

Back