OSU at KU

Speaking of Lawrence, remember when Ford called Obi Muonelo an F’ing idiot for everyone to hear while playing up there. Yeah, he was a jerk.

Ford may have been slightly better X & O’s but he was here 8 years, most of that time in the bottom half of the B12, barely over .500 overall record, under .500 B12 record, and similar to Boynton with Cade, most of his success revolved around having one guy, Marcus Smart.

Speaking of Lawrence, remember when Ford called Obi Muonelo an F’ing idiot for everyone to hear while playing up there. Yeah, he was a jerk.

Ford may have been slightly better X & O’s but he was here 8 years, most of that time in the bottom half of the B12, barely over .500 overall record, under .500 B12 record, and similar to Boynton with Cade, most of his success revolved around having one guy, Marcus Smart.
He said f’ing get in it.

Meaning the set he called

This is the pic someone posted on X in response to the final score posted by the OSU Basketball account. Made me laugh.

784c72f5aeaca8d77060b39180217c9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While Ford was the HC at OSU, he went to the NCAA tournament 5 times and one NIT appearance. He finished above half in conference standings four times, and slightly below half four times. While that's not spectacular, I consider his tenure a success.

I don't remember him saying that. If so, not good. He still was infinitely better than Boynton and it's not even close

Markel Brown and Phil Forte say hello. Tournaments in 5 of 8 seasons is way better than 1 of 7.

JMW in the post game radio interview stated the coaches are doing a good job. It’s the players that need to learn from the losses and grow some balls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markel Brown and Phil Forte say hello. Tournaments in 5 of 8 seasons is way better than 1 of 7.
TF got a couple of those tournament berths with 8-10 conference records. Not good years, just benefited from a weak field. Boynton hasn’t been as lucky with the same record. You could also say Boynton has the same amount of tournament wins.

I’m not arguing for Boynton, but the Ford era, while maybe slightly less miserable, was bad basketball as well.

While Ford was the HC at OSU, he went to the NCAA tournament 5 times and one NIT appearance. He finished above half in conference standings four times, and slightly below half four times. While that's not spectacular, I consider his tenure a success.

I don't remember him saying that. If so, not good. He still was infinitely better than Boynton and it's not even close
I think we lost the first game in four of those NCAA tournaments. Ford was good but not good enough. His teams had a high level of mediocrity, the same as his team now.

OSU Men’s Basketball is officially dead. There is nothing of the Sutton era left to resurrect. If we are to ever be relevant again it will take a talented coach who can build something new from scratch. Baylor basketball was never much of anything before Scott Drew. How good do you think Baylor fans consider that hire of a guy who was previously known only for a Cinderella run in the NCAA Tournament with his Dad Homer at Valparaiso. Turned out pretty good for them. We need something similar. It’s not easy to do and it starts with an AD who has the courage and insight to see that potential and pull the trigger. I think that’s what Holder thought he had in Boynton, it just hasn’t worked. I hope our AD can make a bold successful move but I am preparing for a long period of irrelevance, heck it’s already been 15+ years.

I stopped watching when he went w Dow, Hicklan, JMW, Q & Garrison. I felt sorry for Garrison. I don’t care what’s available or who is out but that rotation will never compete in a P6 game let alone at Fku.

He was the Holder choice to embarrass the Sutton’s. I thought he was awfully arrogant, foul mouthed and entitled. I don’t know him personally but I do know several big boosters that couldn’t stand him and more than a handful of explayers. That’s why he caught plenty of heat and dislike. That set of run ins he had with HS referees really sealed his asshat status for me personally, but I have never had much tolerance for people acting that way.
Ford never embraced the community of Stillwater as well…which also why many disliked him.

He was the Holder choice to embarrass the Sutton’s. I thought he was awfully arrogant, foul mouthed and entitled. I don’t know him personally but I do know several big boosters that couldn’t stand him and more than a handful of explayers. That’s why he caught plenty of heat and dislike. That set of run ins he had with HS referees really sealed his asshat status for me personally, but I have never had much tolerance for people acting that way.
If you're referring to the "run in" in Bixby, I would suggest moving on from that one. That was a total BS move by the ref, I was there. It was a stupid power play by the guy, HCTF did less than nothing wrong. Don't know about any others and he's not my favorite guy but that one was beyond ridiculous and should only reflect on the doucher referee.

Ford's last year was a disappointment . other than that, he actually did a damn fine job. I never understood the hate Ford received. I'd take Ford over Boynton all day long, and forever so. Boynton isn't even a tiny fraction of a coach as Ford was
OSU 2013-14 is Travis Ford.

2 first round NBA picks in Marcus Smart (SO) and Markel Brown (SR).
Plus Nash, Forte, Brian Williams, Kamari Murphy, and Cobbins.

Cobbins injury was a big blow to this team, but it happened early enough that something should have materialized between Nash, Brian Williams, and Kamari Murphy to make up for it.

Pre-season top 10 and finished the season with a First Round exit from the Dance.
8th place in the Big12 which included a 7 game losing streak in the middle of Big12 play.

Ford could never recruit anyone taller than 6-8 and we pretty much played primarily as a Guard team with a couple of athletic Forwards. Ford's teams always fell short of potential, especially in the Dance. He was never going to make the program better than what it was when he left, he had already peaked.

If you're referring to the "run in" in Bixby, I would suggest moving on from that one. That was a total BS move by the ref, I was there. It was a stupid power play by the guy, HCTF did less than nothing wrong. Don't know about any others and he's not my favorite guy but that one was beyond ridiculous and should only reflect on the doucher referee.
Yes that one. I was there, too. I was sitting on the opposite side from TF. I don't know what happened initially, so that may have been a douche move from the ref. But Ford's behavior afterward was child like. He was cussing and throwing a fit in the lobby, and that I saw first hand because I walked over to see if it was really him. Either way, he wasn't a great dude.

Cobbins injury was a big blow to this team, but it happened early enough that something should have materialized between Nash, Brian Williams, and Kamari Murphy to make up for it.

Pre-season top 10 and finished the season with a First Round exit from the Dance.
8th place in the Big12 which included a 7 game losing streak in the middle of Big12 play.

Ford could never recruit anyone taller than 6-8 and we pretty much played primarily as a Guard team with a couple of athletic Forwards. Ford's teams always fell short of potential, especially in the Dance. He was never going to make the program better than what it was when he left, he had already peaked.
A few corrections on this. Brown, while a hell of a college player and one of my favorites, was not a first round pick (second round, number 44 pick that ended up with the Nets). Murphy was not even remotely in the same universe as Cobbins was athletically or defensively. Outside of Ford's coaching, the Cobbins injury was the defacto reason we didn't do MUCH better that season. We didn't have any reasonable post presence after he went down. Like nothing...

During that 7 game loss streak, while only one of them was a blow out, 5 of them were one or two possession games. Looking deeper, the other 4 losses that season outside of the NCAA tourny, were ALL 1 possession games. In most of those L's, the forwards & centers on the opposing team had big rebounding and scoring numbers. Unfortunately, a single bit of quality post play would have yielded massive dividends for that team. Was a rough season for my wife since she had to sit next to me in the arena during most of those losses.

O-what could have been. 😭

I bet a buddy of mine $50 that we'd make the sweet 16 that year. With an extra $10 added either way. I lost a chunk of money that year.

Back