Our star

Ok. Very weird. So many questions. Can’t believe this is a story.

Unprecedented' cosmic ray sent from a mysterious 'invisible corridor' in deep space has struck Utah​

Uh, if this thing struck a series of brass plates in Utah, about 98.5% of us are gonna have a lot of backtracking to do.

Ok. Very weird. So many questions. Can’t believe this is a story.

Unprecedented' cosmic ray sent from a mysterious 'invisible corridor' in deep space has struck Utah​

When the article said "Some charged particles in the air shower travel faster than the speed of light,", I knew it wasn't credible.

The tweet above has garnered support due to some early predictions coming true. As far as foreshocks, they’ve nailed it.

Predicting a major 10.5 coming soon. The “Culebra event”.
I'm just going to say it, but know that I'm not angry at you when I do: this guy doesn't know what the f*ck he's talking about. It's make-believe and isn't scientific in the least. It's basically snake-oil geology.

I'm just going to say it, but know that I'm not angry at you when I do: this guy doesn't know what the f*ck he's talking about. It's make-believe and isn't scientific in the least. It's basically snake-oil geology.
Which makes it so much more fun. I like these guys because they’re bringing in more people into the subject that normally wouldn’t care.

It’s been an incredible 6 months as well as 6 years. With all the data that contradicts the last 100 years, the actual scientists will have job security for some time.

And then there’s this.

Which makes it so much more fun. I like these guys because they’re bringing in more people into the subject that normally wouldn’t care.

It’s been an incredible 6 months as well as 6 years. With all the data that contradicts the last 100 years, the actual scientists will have job security for some time.

And then there’s this.

Yeah, I heard that we may be able to see the Aurora in Oklahoma Friday night. I’ll be in Dallas, though.

Yes, I suppose if you outright lie about things it can make it more fun for everyone.

Scientific understanding in the general public is trending down. I can only guess that is driven in part by pseudoscientific garbage being put out in the world from random twitter and facebook 'news'. I have to wonder at what point does the creator of those kinds of posts have a responsibility to step up and say they are full of sh*t? Or are we so far down the Dunning-Krueger hole at this point that they actually believe their own fantasies and like-minded people follow it?

We get the world we deserve, I guess.

Yes, I suppose if you outright lie about things it can make it more fun for everyone.

Scientific understanding in the general public is trending down. I can only guess that is driven in part by pseudoscientific garbage being put out in the world from random twitter and facebook 'news'. I have to wonder at what point does the creator of those kinds of posts have a responsibility to step up and say they are full of sh*t? Or are we so far down the Dunning-Krueger hole at this point that they actually believe their own fantasies and like-minded people follow it?

We get the world we deserve, I guess.
That right there is funny and the anti thesis to science. Meet all challenges prove you are correct and question everything. That's science. Consensus BS is the opposite of science. Yeah you get some whack jobs you have to prove wrong but history has shown the whack jobs being right sometimes to.

That right there is funny and the anti thesis to science. Meet all challenges prove you are correct and question everything. That's science. Consensus BS is the opposite of science. Yeah you get some whack jobs you have to prove wrong but history has shown the whack jobs being right sometimes to.
It’s hilarious on more levels than that

It’s hilarious on more levels than that
The earthquake thing he said that about is kind of scary. The guy tweeting is trying to understand and write in plain English what the USGS has as some worst case scenarios for what is happening in that region. There are a few people on twitter following it and trying to interpret it, the more credible ones have links back to the USGS site and papers.

In short there could be an earthquake over there that is felt around the world within the next few years or it could lock up for 100k years and form a mountain range in the south pacific when it finally starts moving again. They got no clue.

For the dumb guy (me) - are you saying what I wrote is antithetical to science or that posting make believe is antithetical to science?

For the dumb guy (me) - are you saying what I wrote is antithetical to science or that posting make believe is antithetical to science?
A little of both. The earthquake stuff the guy you were talking about posting is coming from USGS. Which makes the whole thing kind of funny. He's just putting his own spin on it.

Hey did you hear that some are saying if this earthquake happens everyone on earth will shit their pants at the same time? And if you deny that it could happen you're denying science. Prove it wrong, science man!
Well USGS said if a magnitude over 9 or 10 something like that were to happen it would be felt all the way around the planet so their is that. I got no idea but I do know where the guys data came from to give him the idea. There is another nut or two on social media that have been following it and posting links from the USGS without really understanding it. I'm not going to pretend I understand it, I don't. I've blocked them so the crap quits showing up in my timeline.

Hey did you hear that some are saying if this earthquake happens everyone on earth will shit their pants at the same time? And if you deny that it could happen you're denying science. Prove it wrong, science man!
We are like two posts away from this being the actual topic.

Science is already awesome. We don't need 'culebra events' to make it more exciting. How do you even begin to have a reasonable discussion if that is one sides starting position? It's like debating flat-earthers; no amount of evidence is going to change anything they believe.

We are like two posts away from this being the actual topic.

Science is already awesome. We don't need 'culebra events' to make it more exciting. How do you even begin to have a reasonable discussion if that is one sides starting position? It's like debating flat-earthers; no amount of evidence is going to change anything they believe.
I love flat earthers. No matter what proof you have, they’ll keep coming back.

Back