NIT or NCAA?

Are we going to make the tourney?

• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
A 5 game losing stretch at the end of the season including home losses to Baylor and Kansas State, winnable games in which we didn't look particularly good, didn't do ourselves any favors. Who called it stepping on our own dicks? Were our dicks actually long enough to step on?
No, not long enough to step on butt, long enough to screw ourselves.

I’m not on the fire Boynton bus like most people on here, but damn it if this didn’t make me laugh!

I was ecstatic when we first hired Boynton. And even with the early struggles I thought he would learn on the job and right the ship. He might be a really good coach at some point, but right now he's not getting it done. Maybe he'll be like Jeff Capel, whose finally getting it going at Pittsburgh. But how long do we wait? It feels like a million years since we've been contenders.

Boynton needs to hire an offensive guru before next season.
Also, Chris Harris has another torn ACL and Anderson isn’t ready to play this week.

I was ecstatic when we first hired Boynton. And even with the early struggles I thought he would learn on the job and right the ship. He might be a really good coach at some point, but right now he's not getting it done. Maybe he'll be like Jeff Capel, whose finally getting it going at Pittsburgh. But how long do we wait? It feels like a million years since we've been contenders.
How long are you willing to wait on the next coach? With the portal those players we do have will leave. It’ll be min 4 years before we had any product to “contend” with. Seems to me we are in our “best case” right now and it sucks.

How long are you willing to wait on the next coach? With the portal those players we do have will leave. It’ll be min 4 years before we had any product to “contend” with. Seems to me we are in our “best case” right now and it sucks.
Yeah tell that to Kansas St. or Texas Tech who was terrible then went to the elite 8 in Chris Beard's 2nd year and the championship game in the 3rd. Basketball can turn on a dime with a good hire.

With the portal things can change both for the worse and for the better in a year. All it takes is a coach. I like Boynton as a guy, but it's obvious he isn't going to get us where we want to be as a coach. However, his buyout probably means it is going to another two years before he is gone,unless he decides to leave for something else. Georgetown is open and he would be a better fit there.

Yeah tell that to Kansas St. or Texas Tech who was terrible then went to the elite 8 in Chris Beard's 2nd year and the championship game in the 3rd. Basketball can turn on a dime with a good hire.
Take away Texas who consistently has been good.

Tech - had a great run in 2019 no doubt. But Beard left the first time a bigger school called and look at Tech ever since. They are horrible.

I know our history but these newer coaches don’t care about that and they want the biggest school and power they can get and we just aren’t that program right now. Sure go get a good young coach like the one at Samford but the moment he starts to win these bigger blue blood basketball schools are going to open their check book unlike we do for basketball now with football doing well.

Crap, Brad Underwood came for one year, granted probably knew about the assistant coach issues, but he ran to Illinois

I’m not saying Boynton is the answer, I’m just saying getting a new coach doesn’t mean we start winning all of a sudden. Could easily make us worse.

With the portal things can change both for the worse and for the better in a year. All it takes is a coach. I like Boynton as a guy, but it's obvious he isn't going to get us where we want to be as a coach. However, his buyout probably means it is going to another two years before he is gone,unless he decides to leave for something else. Georgetown is open and he would be a better fit there.
I agree and I think Georgetown probably already has someone else we would hear more steam about Boynton. No point in replacing an average coach with an average coach.

Tech - had a great run in 2019 no doubt. But Beard left the first time a bigger school called and look at Tech ever since. They are horrible.
Beard left to go to his alma mater, he didn't leave just because he thought Texas was a "bigger" school.

Last year, Tech made it to the Sweet 16 and Texas lost in the 2nd round to a lower seed. I wouldn't say Tech had been horrible since Beard left. This year Tech underachieved; however, they did beat K-State and Texas. 2 things Boynton couldn't do.

I wonder how much game day revenue a 75% capacity GIA makes compared to a 25% capacity GIA? The costs of holding an event are probably about the same regardless of the attendance. ( a few extra workers is cheap compared to everything else).
Tourney revenue?
Merch sales?

Boynton costs OSU money every year. After next year, I don't know how they can justify keeping him, if things don't change.

I also think they should lower ticket prices just to get more people to the games.

Beard left to go to his alma mater, he didn't leave just because he thought Texas was a "bigger" school.

Last year, Tech made it to the Sweet 16 and Texas lost in the 2nd round to a lower seed. I wouldn't say Tech had been horrible since Beard left. This year Tech underachieved; however, they did beat K-State and Texas. 2 things Boynton couldn't do.
I would also argue the Tech run was a by product of kids recruited by Beard. This year with his own recruiting class Tech has struggled.

My only argument is we can get rid of Boynton. But to think just hiring a new coach means years of success and the past is gone isn’t true either.

I think becoming a football centered school has caused tremendous damage for us in basketball compared to what we would like to see.

I wonder how much game day revenue a 75% capacity GIA makes compared to a 25% capacity GIA? The costs of holding an event are probably about the same regardless of the attendance. ( a few extra workers is cheap compared to everything else).
Tourney revenue?
Merch sales?

Boynton costs OSU money every year. After next year, I don't know how they can justify keeping him, if things don't change.

I also think they should lower ticket prices just to get more people to the games.
I agree with ticket costs. My family of four would eat in Stillwater prior to the game and my kids always want something at the game. It’s a lot of money for the school and city they are missing out on if they would just make it cheaper every game in my opinion

I would also argue the Tech run was a by product of kids recruited by Beard. This year with his own recruiting class Tech has struggled.

My only argument is we can get rid of Boynton. But to think just hiring a new coach means years of success and the past is gone isn’t true either.

I think becoming a football centered school has caused tremendous damage for us in basketball compared to what we would like to see.
I agree about the football centered school. Same with the Thunder in OKC.

Tech actually had quite a few transfer out when Beard left.

Basketball only takes about 7 players to have a great team. A team's ability/performance can change year to year quite a bit. A rebuild should only take 2 full recruiting classes. First year might be shaky, but after that it is on the coach.

Take away Texas who consistently has been good.

I know our history but these newer coaches don’t care about that and they want the biggest school and power they can get and we just aren’t that program right now. Sure go get a good young coach like the one at Samford but the moment he starts to win these bigger blue blood basketball schools are going to open their check book unlike we do for basketball now with football doing well.

Crap, Brad Underwood came for one year, granted probably knew about the assistant coach issues, but he ran to Illinois

I’m not saying Boynton is the answer, I’m just saying getting a new coach doesn’t mean we start winning all of a sudden. Could easily make us worse.
I'm totally willing to take that risk because right now we have a guy who is no better, maybe even slightly worse than Travis Ford.

Reports are del Conte is not going to take the "interim" tag from Rodney Terry and wants a big splash name...despite booster and player appeals. I would take Terry in a heartbeat but know he just moved ahead of just about every other coach on next coach lists for whatever school that is needing one.

Last edited:
Back