GIA too big?

I've heard many say that its a shame that GIA was enlarged.

Fran Fraschilla mentioned it in a tweet recently.

While I don't agree--OSU fans have proven 10K+ fans will support a good team, I think maybe its time GIA got the BPS treatment. The capacity of BPS has gone down little by little the last few years as wider seats have been installed. Why not do that in GIA, too? That won't solve the overall attendance problem, but if/when the tam does get NCAA worthy again, a capacity around 11K or so would be much easier to fill.

Thoughts?

Not sure what the official numbers were but it filled up pretty nicely for bedlam (edit: wrestling)

Those boys g cushy sears like in the movie theater.
Typical @jobob85. Drunk posting again.

Baby Hat GIF

It’s not too big. We just need a top 20 program.
Not even top 20.

We had it packed for a game against WKU and UNT in the f****** NIT. (Was there) In true HCMB fashion his team laid a giant egg. Every time he asked fans to show up, they did, he rewarded them with garbage performances and now they don’t trust him.

Even more reason his tone deaf excuse laden interview should have been kept to himself.

Those who say GIA is too big are generally those that hated Final Four runs, conference championships, etc…. The only reason it’s empty is the low quality efforts put out by Ford, Underwood and Boynton. Get a team in there worth watching and we’ll show up. Learn a lesson here, it can happen in football and is almost ready to happen in baseball

Those who say GIA is too big are generally those that hated Final Four runs, conference championships, etc…. The only reason it’s empty is the low quality efforts put out by Ford, Underwood and Boynton. Get a team in there worth watching and we’ll show up. Learn a lesson here, it can happen in football and is almost ready to happen in baseball
1000% - 20 years ago they weren’t born or were too young to know what GIA is. That’s how long it’s been. My 23 year old OSU grad has seen more 10 win football seasons than NCAA tournament wins. Let that sink in.

I was at OSU for the end of Leonard Hamilton and the beginning of Eddie. I remember in 91 or 92, when only the students that previously had season tickets were allowed to get full-season tickets and the new ticket requests were only granted half a season based on a drawing. That version of OSU basketball would have no problem packing the current GIA with students and alumni.

Not even top 20.

We had it packed for a game against WKU and UNT in the f****** NIT. (Was there) In true HCMB fashion his team laid a giant egg. Every time he asked fans to show up, they did, he rewarded them with garbage performances and now they don’t trust him.

Even more reason his tone deaf excuse laden interview should have been kept to himself.
Boynton definitely needs to go. He's one of the worst coaches I've ever witnessed.

Do people really believe that Boynton used NIL as an excuse?

Speaking only of NIL in the interview with Tulsa World, he's 100% right. I still don't understand how people don't understand this. OSU leadership refuses to give OSU basketball program a chance to compete. The next coach will have the same damn problem with mass transfers year after year.

I want a new coach as much as everyone else. He's truly a terrible HC. More importantly, I'd like to see OSU leadership give a HC every chance possible to retain players. If that doesn't happen, OSU basketball will suck hardcore. How people are saying that Boynton's remarks regarding NIL is an excuse, is beyond me. The rest of the interview was a complete disaster. Somehow people aren't capable of separating fact (NIL situation ) from fiction (using NIL as an excuse) and I just don't understand how that is possible.

According to this forum, the NIL situation is completely irrelevant. Sorry to burst y'all's bubble, NIL is the only thing that matters to a recruit/player. Since the inception of NIL, we've had more players transferring out than any other Big 12 team and it's not even close.

Has anyone noticed that not one single person affiliated with OSU, from the athletic director,.to the administrators,.etc, has/have not refuted Boynton's interview regarding NIL? If Boynton is lying about NIL, don't y'all think that a statement would've been released from the AD, etc? If Boynton lied about the NIL situation, don't y'all think they wouldn't allow a HC to publicly lie?

The best thing the AD, administrators, board of regents, etc, could've done is release a statement ensuring potential recruits that there isn't a problem with NIL. That hasn't happened. If I were the AD, I would've immediately released a statement saying just that.. that I fully support the basketball program and that I, among others, would do everything possible to give OSU basketball a chance to compete.

Since a statement hasn't been released by the AD, etc, refuting Boynton's NIL proclamation, this means one of two things:

OSU leadership gives not one damn about OSU basketball

OR

The AD fully supports Boynton and will retain him for another year

Once a new coach arrives and fails because of the inability to retain players, I'll bookmark this thread and will say I told you so. We can get a coach who actually knows now to coach.. that won't matter. NIL is the ONLY thing that would keep a player from leaving. We need both equations, a HC who knows how to coach and fixing the NIL situation, otherwise, success is nearly impossible.

Fix the NIL program and stop the madness. Otherwise, we're gonna be a bottom feeder of the conference.

One last thing... I've read countless posts saying "Boynton doesn't discipline players because he wants to be their best friend." Must be one helluva best friend, don't y'all think? So much so that we haven't experienced a mass exodus of players every year since the inception of NIL. Sarcasm aside, Boynton is a terrible coach, but there's no doubt mass transfers was/is a significant cause of the downward spiral of the OSU basketball program. How people don't understand this... I just don't get it. It's not an excuse.. Boynton is 100% right about NIL.

If I'm associated with OSU, I'm not responding to the TW article either. "Keep it in the locker room." Boynton did himself no benefit by what he did and OSU would only hurt themselves by responding.

The TW interview may have included other topics, if it did, the TW latched on to what they wanted to write about, but I have no idea what topics were covered in the interview.

I've been interviewed by a newspaper before, you have to pick the topic you want printed and provide nothing else. That is how it works.

Boynton definitely needs to go. He's one of the worst coaches I've ever witnessed.

Speaking only of NIL in the interview with Tulsa World, he's 100% right. I still don't understand how people don't understand this. OSU leadership refuses to give OSU basketball program a chance to compete. The next coach will have the same damn problem with mass transfers year after year.

I want a new coach as much as everyone else. He's truly a terrible HC. More importantly, I'd like to see OSU leadership give a HC every chance possible to retain players. If that doesn't happen, OSU basketball will suck hardcore. How people are saying that Boynton's remarks regarding NIL is an excuse, is beyond me. The rest of the interview was a complete disaster. Somehow people aren't capable of separating fact (NIL situation ) from fiction (using NIL as an excuse) and I just don't understand how that is possible.

According to this forum, the NIL situation is completely irrelevant. Sorry to burst y'all's bubble, NIL is the only thing that matters to a recruit/player. Since the inception of NIL, we've had more players transferring out than any other Big 12 team and it's not even close.

Has anyone noticed that not one single person affiliated with OSU, from the athletic director,.to the administrators,.etc, has/have not refuted Boynton's interview regarding NIL? If Boynton is lying about NIL, don't y'all think that a statement would've been released from the AD, etc? If Boynton lied about the NIL situation, don't y'all think they wouldn't allow a HC to publicly lie?

The best thing the AD, administrators, board of regents, etc, could've done is release a statement ensuring potential recruits that there isn't a problem with NIL. That hasn't happened. If I were the AD, I would've immediately released a statement saying just that.. that I fully support the basketball program and that I, among others, would do everything possible to give OSU basketball a chance to compete.

Since a statement hasn't been released by the AD, etc, refuting Boynton's NIL proclamation, this means one of two things:

OR

Once a new coach arrives and fails because of the inability to retain players, I'll bookmark this thread and will say I told you so. We can get a coach who actually knows now to coach.. that won't matter. NIL is the ONLY thing that would keep a player from leaving. We need both equations, a HC who knows how to coach and fixing the NIL situation, otherwise, success is nearly impossible.

Fix the NIL program and stop the madness. Otherwise, we're gonna be a bottom feeder of the conference.

One last thing... I've read countless posts saying "Boynton doesn't discipline players because he wants to be their best friend." Must be one helluva best friend, don't y'all think? So much so that we haven't experienced a mass exodus of players every year since the inception of NIL. Sarcasm aside, Boynton is a terrible coach, but there's no doubt mass transfers was/is a significant cause of the downward spiral of the OSU basketball program. How people don't understand this... I just don't get it. It's not an excuse.. Boynton is 100% right about NIL.
This is... a lot.

1. Worst coach you have ever witnessed? - That's a bit much. He is an excellent defensive coach and his track record proves that. Offensively and other areas that are important, obviously lacking.

2. Do people believe he used the NIL as an excuse? - Yes. That was crux of his interview.

3. Do people not understand NIL and lack of $ there is a problem? - Of course it is an issue. But it is only part of the problem, and I think several here would say it is less of an issue than having an overall quality head coach.

4. Are you a recruit/player? No? Then how you can so boldly proclaim NIL is the only factor? That is an obtuse perspective. Is it a problem; sure, but not the only one by a long shot.

5. I don't think the fact that the AD hasn't addressed the statement has huge underlying meanings one way or the other. As others have said, our AD has basketball in his veins. I completely agree with @SlurrrPup that this should stay in house.

6. I think everyone agrees that increasing the NIL $ dedicated to basketball is ideal if at all possible.

7. The best friend and lack of discipline situation has to do with how they play and have historically been allowed to play. I would argue that a certain level of discipline must be present for a group of college aged kids in one of the most competitive environments to focus on whatever their goals are.

8. Boynton is right that NIL has made things more challenging for him, and I don't think anyone is arguing against that. What I think people have a problem with is that he came across as whining, appeared to throw some of his own guys under the bus, and it went against how he has handled himself over most of his tenure. He is not a good head coach, and that is the reason for our downward spiral. The NIL is just accelerating/exacerbating the situation.

This is... a lot.

1. Worst coach you have ever witnessed? - That's a bit much. He is an excellent defensive coach and his track record proves that. Offensively and other areas that are important, obviously lacking.

2. Do people believe he used the NIL as an excuse? - Yes. That was crux of his interview.

3. Do people not understand NIL and lack of $ there is a problem? - Of course it is an issue. But it is only part of the problem, and I think several here would say it is less of an issue than having an overall quality head coach.

4. Are you a recruit/player? No? Then how you can so boldly proclaim NIL is the only factor? That is an obtuse perspective. Is it a problem; sure, but not the only one by a long shot.

5. I don't think the fact that the AD hasn't addressed the statement has huge underlying meanings one way or the other. As others have said, our AD has basketball in his veins. I completely agree with @SlurrrPup that this should stay in house.

6. I think everyone agrees that increasing the NIL $ dedicated to basketball is ideal if at all possible.

7. The best friend and lack of discipline situation has to do with how they play and have historically been allowed to play. I would argue that a certain level of discipline must be present for a group of college aged kids in one of the most competitive environments to focus on whatever their goals are.

8. Boynton is right that NIL has made things more challenging for him, and I don't think anyone is arguing against that. What I think people have a problem with is that he came across as whining, appeared to throw some of his own guys under the bus, and it went against how he has handled himself over most of his tenure. He is not a good head coach, and that is the reason for our downward spiral. The NIL is just accelerating/exacerbating the situation.
Like - “how do people not understand this?”

College hoops attendance nation wide is way down. That's why Texas Baylor just built smaller arenas for their teams.

We could do what Texas did. The arena seats 9k for hoops and 20k for concerts. The entire upper deck is covered with white screens and they project stats ,scores and ads on during the game.

I could see us doing that to the upper decks at the ends of the court. It's way better than black curtains that some use.

I don't feel as though its too big. If we were winning, avg attendance would be roughly 9-10k...or better depending on how much more we're winning.

That being said: we could do with a modification to the steps...my old knees + GIA 200s = ☠️.

OR

He sucked before NIL he was just a sympathetic character that brought in a high profile recruit and had a coach go rogue. NIL is a deal, but his problems started manifesting long before he CHOSE to call Bill Haisten to coachsplain why his coaching sucks.

No one told him to call Haisten. No one told him to throw the boosters and fans under the bus. No one told him to blame football for his deficiencies as a coach, NIL and admin support. No one told him to take his players to the Train Station.

Back