New NCAA Subdivision

College football as we knew it was already dead thanks to NIL, the transfer portal, and the CFP being rigged (I think we all had suspicions but FSU proved it.) However, this proposal if it comes to fruition just might knock it in the head for good.

I'll still watch OSU (as long as they are televised), but I won't watch college football in general if OSU is playing in a subdivision that means nothing. Accordingly, I have zero interest in watching a semi-pro league made up of only blue bloods and/or the SEC and Big 10.

I can't believe that E$PN can't see it, but they are slowly killing the golden goose.

College football as we knew it was already dead thanks to NIL, the transfer portal, and the CFP being rigged (I think we all had suspicions but FSU proved it.) However, this proposal if it comes to fruition just might knock it in the head for good.

I'll still watch OSU (as long as they are televised), but I won't watch college football in general if OSU is playing in a subdivision that means nothing. Accordingly, I have zero interest in watching a semi-pro league made up of only blue bloods and/or the SEC and Big 10.

I can't believe that E$PN can't see it, but they are slowly killing the golden goose.
Pretty much my thoughts on the subject. Not sure what will happen to viewership when only a handful of teams have a shot. Of course ESPN is owned by Disney and we have seen how they f'upped the Marvel franchise.

Looks like the Harvard alumni base could do some serious damage if they wanted to buy (NIL) players.
They could, but I doubt they will unless there is a fundamental shift. While they have a huge endowment and wealthy alumni base, they have traditionally favored academics when it comes to the athletics vs. academics debate.

This is precisely why I've brought up the NFL as an example. Jerry Jones was winning Super Bowls, buying up free agents at will, striking his own deals for marketing, and the NFC was winning Super Bowls in blowout fashion for nearly 15 years straight.

The rest of the owners had to rein him in to understand that their product is better if more teams have a chance to truly compete for championships. 24 teams have played in Super Bowls since 1995 as a result of that. These d!cks in the SEC and B1G think a small league will draw great interest. I think if you shrink it down too much you're in danger of losing overall interest.

Assuming this thing comes to fruition, it begs a couple of interesting questions:
  1. How many teams wind up in this division?
  2. Quality recruits are not going to stop happening, how does that talent get distributed? Kids are going to want to play, like they already do, and not ride the pine for two or three years. Bama only has 22 starters, etc... so there's a limit to the opportunity that they can provide each year.

About half of future and present SEC schools can’t afford this, I’m not sure how many of the Big 10 can afford it or would decide to afford it. The interesting school that will blow everyone’s doors off is Miami.
Yea, I don't see schools like Vanderbilt and Northwestern going along with this. Not all the SEC and Big 10 schools are going to make that jump.

There are plenty of things in there that I could discuss endlessly, but here's something most won't say.

This is more leadership and push toward positive change than we have seen from the NCAA in a LONG LONG time. That at least has me feeling a little more optimistic.

My only question is how soon can this be implemented and start? The sooner the better.

Let the richest 8-12 schools of the $ec/acc and the 6-8 richest of the b1g form their semi-pro circle jerk league, then the rest of us can get back to what college sports once were and should be again: regional conferences/divisions with hard and fast qualifying stipulations for a true playoff. We adopt the same structure as FCS or a mash-up of FCS/NFL qualifying rules for the playoffs. No NIL, scholarship limitsd, must sit a year upon transfer, etc... like it used to be. Strike a deal with the likes of Amazon/Apple for streaming everything to lock those sh!tbricks like e$pn and Fox out. Then watch as those "big dogs" seethe with anger when the little guys they left behind generate more viewership, rabid following, and ultimately money than them.

Picture this - college sports without the likes of...
$ec/acc - 0u, texass, aTm, LSU, bama, UGA, florida, miami, FSU, clemson, UNC, ND
b1g - UCLA, USC, oregon, washington, ohsu, michigan, psu
The schools left over after all these do their own thing is in every single way imaginable more fun and interesting to follow, and still includes some pretty storied and successful names. Give me this 12 times out of 10.

I've read a little more and watched a few breakdowns (these people might not know anything) but from what ive seen, i think we're in but just barely. It might be tough for a year or two but the huge increase in revenue we'd see would benefit our entire athletic department and school for that matter.

Oh, look - the NCAA hired a team to figure out how they could remain relevant and keep their piece of the pie. This comes across more desperate than innovative. If the NCAA cared at all about college athletics, they would have crafted more restrictive forces, not sold out to Disney. But they knew doing so would run the two big dogs off, so they crafted this oddity to try to appease everyone.

So now we're gonna count NCAA football among the likes of Marvel and Star Wars - those utterly destroyed by Disney? Unreal.

Yes, I understand the current NIL is "here to stay", but the NCAA is doing the wrong thing by trying to raise the bar and cut most of the schools out. I kinda hope they do it, and kill the Golden Goose. Its probably the outcome that yields the best results longterm.

https://footballscoop.com/news/this-wild-nil-idea-involving-live-in-game-donations-might-just-work

That's where this idea from Bill Busch, a veteran former college coach turned permanent radio host on 93.7 The Ticket, could come in to "make it fair, and make it fun,"

Busch has a background where he's coached at Nebraska during three different stints as well as stops at Ohio State, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Utah, Utah State, and New Mexico State so he brings an interesting perspective of a veteran college coach to the conversation.

"Here's how it works. Make a play. Get paid," he explains.

Busch then lays out a situation where a player makes a big play, and the Jumbotron immediately flashes the player's Venmo account on the screen, allowing fans to donate in real-time and then the screen tracks and displays the total donations coming in live for all to see.

Imagine if something like that were in place for plays like the "Iron Bowl's Kick Six," or Michael Crabtree's tiptoe up the sideline to beat Texas in 2008, or the "Trouble with the Snap" (Michigan State vs. Michigan) in 2015.

https://footballscoop.com/news/this-wild-nil-idea-involving-live-in-game-donations-might-just-work

That's where this idea from Bill Busch, a veteran former college coach turned permanent radio host on 93.7 The Ticket, could come in to "make it fair, and make it fun,"

Busch has a background where he's coached at Nebraska during three different stints as well as stops at Ohio State, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Utah, Utah State, and New Mexico State so he brings an interesting perspective of a veteran college coach to the conversation.

"Here's how it works. Make a play. Get paid," he explains.

Busch then lays out a situation where a player makes a big play, and the Jumbotron immediately flashes the player's Venmo account on the screen, allowing fans to donate in real-time and then the screen tracks and displays the total donations coming in live for all to see.

Imagine if something like that were in place for plays like the "Iron Bowl's Kick Six," or Michael Crabtree's tiptoe up the sideline to beat Texas in 2008, or the "Trouble with the Snap" (Michigan State vs. Michigan) in 2015.
This idea is satirical, right? RIGHT!?

Back