New NCAA Subdivision

What the players wanting revenue sharing don't get all the football tv money pays for all of the other sports.

There is a proposed bill in congress that would prevent players from ever being considered employees. Pretty sure it caps how much money a school can provide. That should help with how much they can get.
The courts would have to uphold that and to this point the Supreme Court probably would not. The NCAA would need an antitrust exemption and right now that seems unlikely. Also, why should the football players care about other sports. In this nation where everyone who supports basic welfare systems are called communists, why would a football player care about the tennis program?

Hopefully, if this happens and we're not a part of it, the Big League has around 48 teams and all the rest of us refuse to schedule them. If they have only each other to play they're going to end up with a lot more losses than they're used to, and have about 45 disappointed fan bases. I would expect their overall viewership numbers to go down as the bulk of college football fans become indifferent to their league(s).

Hopefully, if this happens and we're not a part of it, the Big League has around 48 teams and all the rest of us refuse to schedule them. If they have only each other to play they're going to end up with a lot more losses than they're used to, and have about 45 disappointed fan bases. I would expect their overall viewership numbers to go down as the bulk of college football fans become indifferent to their league(s).
Why do you want to the be the new FCS? The bulk of college football fans are not die hards who feel connected to their school. They are bandwagon or found fans. 80% of my extended family are OU fans, 10% are Arkansas fans, and 10% are OSU fans - only the ones who went to OSU also went to the school they cheer for.

I said if it happens and we're not a part of it. Poorly worded, I suppose. I very much want to be in the top tier of college football, whatever that ends up being. I don't like what it's becoming, but I'm old and grouchy. I believe if you're an average state school you have to stay in the top echelon of college football to be nationally relevant - which is crazy, but that's what football has become. I know not everyone agrees, but I think we would have been better off (long term) had we been able to join the SEC or B1G. We'd probably lose more games, but be seen in a different light nationally. I still think the B12 is going to be a lot of fun, and I absolutely love ut and utn being gone, but I'm a bit apprehensive about our long term future.

I think you're going to see full on revenue sharing with the players before this proposal happens.

There is too much dead weight in both conferences and even with the money, they're in big big trouble. tOSU, Michigan, Oregon, Penn State will bury everyone else in that conference with the money they already have on top of the new money coming in. Same in the SEC for all but about 6 schools. In the proposal, there are mandatory minimums, not every institution is going to agree to them and when the break happens, things like the SEC or BIG go with it, will be an entirely new entity, a minor league NFL.

Honestly, this is the very tip of the iceberg of "why does X get the same amount as us when we're worth 3x 4x 5x as much."
This is not the tip, but yet another example of greed playing out; this cycle never ends. "What's your number? ... More" - Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.
They have the same arguments in NFL. Same in Premier League and other european leagues...heck, they nearly got their super league till there was political backlash.

There are plenty of things in there that I could discuss endlessly, but here's something most won't say.

This is more leadership and push toward positive change than we have seen from the NCAA in a LONG LONG time. That at least has me feeling a little more optimistic.
I see it more like a predictable move by any person/entity in power that is desperate to hold on to that which is about to make them irrelevant and cut off. There's really nothing new in here that the power brokers haven't been not-so-subtly hinting at for a long time.

https://footballscoop.com/news/this-wild-nil-idea-involving-live-in-game-donations-might-just-work

That's where this idea from Bill Busch, a veteran former college coach turned permanent radio host on 93.7 The Ticket, could come in to "make it fair, and make it fun,"

Busch has a background where he's coached at Nebraska during three different stints as well as stops at Ohio State, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Utah, Utah State, and New Mexico State so he brings an interesting perspective of a veteran college coach to the conversation.

"Here's how it works. Make a play. Get paid," he explains.

Busch then lays out a situation where a player makes a big play, and the Jumbotron immediately flashes the player's Venmo account on the screen, allowing fans to donate in real-time and then the screen tracks and displays the total donations coming in live for all to see.

Imagine if something like that were in place for plays like the "Iron Bowl's Kick Six," or Michael Crabtree's tiptoe up the sideline to beat Texas in 2008, or the "Trouble with the Snap" (Michigan State vs. Michigan) in 2015.
Sounds great on paper, till you realize the unintended consequences of jilted 'role players' and everyone wants to be a QB/RB/WR. When OG2 breaks off a 40yd TD run that was created by a hole a bus could drive thru, do they flash up QR codes for the OL? Satire indeed.

Last edited:
Back